Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   M-14/M1a1 scope mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/m-14-m1a1-scope-mounts-9759/)

M14sRock 04-08-2010 04:57 AM

Haha Don. I read this thread a few times and debated chiming in.

Here goes.

The old Brookfield, Sadlak and Smith Ent mounts are essentially the same. Sadlak will do a custom fit for you if needed. The custom fit is almost always needed as commercial M14 receivers tend to be out of spec (USGI Specifications) more often than not, especially in regards to the scope mounting points. (LRB and Smith Enterprise receivers are the exceptions to this rule). SEI also offers a spendy mount with an extended rail. An orig Brookfield will run about $350-$400, but they are starting to have some collector value. Sadlak can be had in steel or aluminum. They made a titanium version but might have stopped. All 3 are currently used by the various branches of the US Military. The USMC tends to use the steel mounts and weld them in place.

But another outstanding mount is made by Bassett Machine. It is a single point mount that is essentially 100% repeatable. They have a Picatinny style avail in a couple of heights. Get the low one. It comes with a simple "torque wrench" that uses the weight of the rifle to set the torque on the bolt. It is a super simple, idiot proof mount that a half trained monkey can install. Runs about $150. But get the Pic mount. I do not like the angled head of their standard mount as getting the correct rings to mount a 30mm scope over the bore is a pain. Just my opinion though.

The McCann mount is excellent (their M1 Garand conversions ROCK!!!!!) too.

ARMS #18 is a great mount (Randy Shughart used an early one), but fitting commercial receivers can be tough.

The GDI mount is really nice, and very low but fitment issues are the same.

Springfield Armory's new 4th Gen mount is a good one too, but I'd go with a Sadlak in that price range.

On the low price end is the all steel Leatherwood. It has a bunch of adjustments, allowing it to fit many receiver dimensions. Get it set up and lock down the screws and it is very solid. Runs about $120? I have one and it has been a good mount, though I think it might be made in China.

Some M14 receivers have the bolt hole drilled in the wrong place, or it is too big/too small. The receiver grooves can be too wide/narrow. The stripper clip guide can be at an angle, too big/small, too high/low. And the stripper clip guide tends to break off if the screws are overtightened. Big "Oops" when that happens.

If I was buying another M14 mount today it would be the Basset low Pic.

However, the best way to mount a scope on an M14 is to save the pennies and buy an LRB M25 receiver that has the mount machined into the receiver. It will not come loose. The M25 is by far the best, but the stripped receiver starts around $900.

But if you factor in the cost of a Sadlak, Brookfield, SEI mount ($350+/-), and sell your current receiver ($500-$600) the cost of an M25 receiver is within reach.....

There are probably more mounts (ProMag sells a Brookfield knockoff), but that is what I have off the top of my head.

TLS 04-08-2010 06:22 AM

Thanks everyone for your info. However. Now that I have looked at the McCann, and the Basset scope mounts, I am more uncertain. I don't mind spending money if the product is well made and will last, and not come loose and ruin my zero. I hate to put any of you on the spot, but.... If anyone of you were going to go out tomorrow and buy a mount for a new Springfield M14. Which would you pick? Again, I am new at the M14 gig!! Also, while I am at it. What scope would you guys recommend? I am looking for something under $500.00 that will let me see very well at over 500 yards. Thanks again guys. This forum really helps.

Take care, and remember the guys and gals next month on Memorial Day. All gave some, but some gave ALL.
Todd.

753X0 04-08-2010 07:56 AM

Don't give up, inquire at Accuracy Speaks, (Derrick Martin), he may start making them for the public again.
His mount essentially turns the gun into a Piccatinny flattop.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...22/M1-A002.jpg

The groups it shot after a trip to him.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...222/M1-Agr.jpg

This obviously isn't a quick disconnect mount, but you can use BUIS if you really think you need them.

M14sRock 04-08-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 753X0 (Post 266530)
Don't give up, inquire at Accuracy Speaks, (Derrick Martin), he may start making them for the public again.
His mount essentially turns the gun into a Piccatinny flattop.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...22/M1-A002.jpg

The groups it shot after a trip to him.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...222/M1-Agr.jpg

This obviously isn't a quick disconnect mount, but you can use BUIS if you really think you need them.

This was a great mount. SAI offered a very similar mount on their White Feather rifle. Some people did not like that it required losing the rear sight, but getting a solid mount and having it sit so low is worth it in my opinion.

BUT Accuracy Speaks quit offering these mounts a while ago and when I spoke with Derrick about them he told me they had no intentions of making them again. Bummer. And the SAI version is not stiff enough.

M14sRock 04-08-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLS (Post 266522)
Thanks everyone for your info. However. Now that I have looked at the McCann, and the Basset scope mounts, I am more uncertain. I don't mind spending money if the product is well made and will last, and not come loose and ruin my zero. I hate to put any of you on the spot, but.... If anyone of you were going to go out tomorrow and buy a mount for a new Springfield M14. Which would you pick? Again, I am new at the M14 gig!! Also, while I am at it. What scope would you guys recommend? I am looking for something under $500.00 that will let me see very well at over 500 yards. Thanks again guys. This forum really helps.

Take care, and remember the guys and gals next month on Memorial Day. All gave some, but some gave ALL.
Todd.

IF I was buying a new mount, it would be the Bassett.

I just sold my old Brookfield mount because it only fit my Smith Ent rifle and that rifle did not need optics.

TLS 04-08-2010 07:21 PM

Thanks again guys. I will not give up. Any of you guys have an idea on the scope question that I talked about in my previous post?

M14sRock 04-08-2010 08:48 PM

The $500 range puts you somewhere "in between" on optics. For $300 or so you can get a Super Sniper from SWFA. It is a way better scope than its price would lead one to believe. The Pride Fowler scopes are also really good but start a bit higher ($600+/-?).

I prefer some type of Mil Dot based scope on the M14, but if you don't care about a military type of scope get a good Leupold VX3 and learn how to estimate range. Then learn your "hold overs" and practice, practice, practice.

TLS 04-08-2010 11:58 PM

Thanks. I will check them out. If I am going to "scope" this rifle. Would I really ever want to use the iron sights? I am trying to keep the rifle as standard as possible, but I don't want to do that if it is going to come back and bite me later.
Thanks.
Todd.

M14sRock 04-09-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLS (Post 266887)
Thanks. I will check them out. If I am going to "scope" this rifle. Would I really ever want to use the iron sights? I am trying to keep the rifle as standard as possible, but I don't want to do that if it is going to come back and bite me later.
Thanks.
Todd.

Everyone has their opinion. Mine is this.

Focus on what you want it to be in its primary use. If you want it scoped, get the best, lowest mount possible. Then use the best, lowest rings that work. Don't worry about seeing the irons with the scope mounted. If you need the irons, remove the mount.

And with the Basset, it returns to zero almost perfectly when you remove and remount the mount.

TLS 04-09-2010 12:37 AM

So if I get the Basset "low". I can leave the rear sight attached, but just can't use it right? I was under the assumption that I had to physically "remove" the rear sight. Also how long, (inch wise), is the rail on the Basset low?


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.