Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   M-14/M1a1 scope mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/m-14-m1a1-scope-mounts-9759/)

mrm14 01-08-2009 03:13 AM

M-14/M1a1 scope mounts

Hey, looking for a new scope mount for my M-14; Anyone out there know of a good one? I have used 2nd and 3rd generation Springfield mounts and was dissatified with them. Any input will be appreciated.

matt g 01-08-2009 03:23 AM

Smith Enterprise M14 Scope Mount, Wire EDM, NSN 5855-01-506-5750

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.html

Here's a few in service in Iraq:

http://www.smithenterprise.com/images02/2006cust01.jpg

http://www.smithenterprise.com/image...k-IMG_0813.jpg

http://www.smithenterprise.com/images02/olbrisch.jpg

http://www.smithenterprise.com/images/Slide7-2.jpg

mrm14 01-09-2009 05:40 AM

m-14 scope mount

Hey Matt g thanks for the input. I ordered a Smith enterprises scope mount today as well as a McCann Industries scope mount. I'll try both and beat them up as best as I can to see what the outcome will be. You have any input about the McCann industries mount? Thanks again for the reply to my post.

matt g 01-19-2009 10:04 PM

You get your mounts in yet?

mrm14 01-23-2009 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 63811)
You get your mounts in yet?

Yes, I got the McCanns Industries and the Smith Mounts and the McCanns is mounted onto the rifle. If the scope comes in this week I'll be out this weekend trying it out. I'll be trying out the Smith mount next. Probably in about 2 weeks. Starting a new contract next week and will be busy making money for about 3 months. My time to play has become short.

matt g 01-23-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 64714)
Yes, I got the McCanns Industries and the Smith Mounts and the McCanns is mounted onto the rifle. If the scope comes in this week I'll be out this weekend trying it out. I'll be trying out the Smith mount next. Probably in about 2 weeks. Starting a new contract next week and will be busy making money for about 3 months. My time to play has become short.

I'm in the same boat. I go back to work 2 Feb. Hopefully, I'll be able to squeeze an SEI Crazy Horse under my wife's radar before they're banned.

TLS 04-07-2010 07:56 AM

Hey everyone. I just signed up on the forum. I too am looking for a quality scope mount for my M14. I have heard many stories about which one is best. I finally talked to SEI today, and they seem to have the best mount. A little pricey, but I believe you get what you pay for. Could you guys let me know what you think once you get it mounted and tested?

Thanks.
Todd.

mrm14 04-08-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLS (Post 265886)
Hey everyone. I just signed up on the forum. I too am looking for a quality scope mount for my M14. I have heard many stories about which one is best. I finally talked to SEI today, and they seem to have the best mount. A little pricey, but I believe you get what you pay for. Could you guys let me know what you think once you get it mounted and tested?

Thanks.
Todd.

I'm not totally sure but I think they use the Smith enterprise mount. I perferred the McCanns mount because it mounted the scope lower on the rifle than the Smith. They are both very good mounts IMO. Whatever you do don't buy the Springfield mount as it is a non zero holding POS.

CA357 04-08-2010 02:53 AM

Paging M14's Rock, paging M14's Rock!

If M14's Rock doesn't show up in this thread, shoot him a PM. He's a fountain of M14 knowledge. :cool:

mrm14 04-08-2010 03:36 AM

Yep, M14sRock knows his M1A/M14's extremely well.

M14sRock 04-08-2010 05:57 AM

Haha Don. I read this thread a few times and debated chiming in.

Here goes.

The old Brookfield, Sadlak and Smith Ent mounts are essentially the same. Sadlak will do a custom fit for you if needed. The custom fit is almost always needed as commercial M14 receivers tend to be out of spec (USGI Specifications) more often than not, especially in regards to the scope mounting points. (LRB and Smith Enterprise receivers are the exceptions to this rule). SEI also offers a spendy mount with an extended rail. An orig Brookfield will run about $350-$400, but they are starting to have some collector value. Sadlak can be had in steel or aluminum. They made a titanium version but might have stopped. All 3 are currently used by the various branches of the US Military. The USMC tends to use the steel mounts and weld them in place.

But another outstanding mount is made by Bassett Machine. It is a single point mount that is essentially 100% repeatable. They have a Picatinny style avail in a couple of heights. Get the low one. It comes with a simple "torque wrench" that uses the weight of the rifle to set the torque on the bolt. It is a super simple, idiot proof mount that a half trained monkey can install. Runs about $150. But get the Pic mount. I do not like the angled head of their standard mount as getting the correct rings to mount a 30mm scope over the bore is a pain. Just my opinion though.

The McCann mount is excellent (their M1 Garand conversions ROCK!!!!!) too.

ARMS #18 is a great mount (Randy Shughart used an early one), but fitting commercial receivers can be tough.

The GDI mount is really nice, and very low but fitment issues are the same.

Springfield Armory's new 4th Gen mount is a good one too, but I'd go with a Sadlak in that price range.

On the low price end is the all steel Leatherwood. It has a bunch of adjustments, allowing it to fit many receiver dimensions. Get it set up and lock down the screws and it is very solid. Runs about $120? I have one and it has been a good mount, though I think it might be made in China.

Some M14 receivers have the bolt hole drilled in the wrong place, or it is too big/too small. The receiver grooves can be too wide/narrow. The stripper clip guide can be at an angle, too big/small, too high/low. And the stripper clip guide tends to break off if the screws are overtightened. Big "Oops" when that happens.

If I was buying another M14 mount today it would be the Basset low Pic.

However, the best way to mount a scope on an M14 is to save the pennies and buy an LRB M25 receiver that has the mount machined into the receiver. It will not come loose. The M25 is by far the best, but the stripped receiver starts around $900.

But if you factor in the cost of a Sadlak, Brookfield, SEI mount ($350+/-), and sell your current receiver ($500-$600) the cost of an M25 receiver is within reach.....

There are probably more mounts (ProMag sells a Brookfield knockoff), but that is what I have off the top of my head.

TLS 04-08-2010 07:22 AM

Thanks everyone for your info. However. Now that I have looked at the McCann, and the Basset scope mounts, I am more uncertain. I don't mind spending money if the product is well made and will last, and not come loose and ruin my zero. I hate to put any of you on the spot, but.... If anyone of you were going to go out tomorrow and buy a mount for a new Springfield M14. Which would you pick? Again, I am new at the M14 gig!! Also, while I am at it. What scope would you guys recommend? I am looking for something under $500.00 that will let me see very well at over 500 yards. Thanks again guys. This forum really helps.

Take care, and remember the guys and gals next month on Memorial Day. All gave some, but some gave ALL.
Todd.

753X0 04-08-2010 08:56 AM

Don't give up, inquire at Accuracy Speaks, (Derrick Martin), he may start making them for the public again.
His mount essentially turns the gun into a Piccatinny flattop.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...22/M1-A002.jpg

The groups it shot after a trip to him.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...222/M1-Agr.jpg

This obviously isn't a quick disconnect mount, but you can use BUIS if you really think you need them.

M14sRock 04-08-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 753X0 (Post 266530)
Don't give up, inquire at Accuracy Speaks, (Derrick Martin), he may start making them for the public again.
His mount essentially turns the gun into a Piccatinny flattop.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...22/M1-A002.jpg

The groups it shot after a trip to him.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...222/M1-Agr.jpg

This obviously isn't a quick disconnect mount, but you can use BUIS if you really think you need them.

This was a great mount. SAI offered a very similar mount on their White Feather rifle. Some people did not like that it required losing the rear sight, but getting a solid mount and having it sit so low is worth it in my opinion.

BUT Accuracy Speaks quit offering these mounts a while ago and when I spoke with Derrick about them he told me they had no intentions of making them again. Bummer. And the SAI version is not stiff enough.

M14sRock 04-08-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLS (Post 266522)
Thanks everyone for your info. However. Now that I have looked at the McCann, and the Basset scope mounts, I am more uncertain. I don't mind spending money if the product is well made and will last, and not come loose and ruin my zero. I hate to put any of you on the spot, but.... If anyone of you were going to go out tomorrow and buy a mount for a new Springfield M14. Which would you pick? Again, I am new at the M14 gig!! Also, while I am at it. What scope would you guys recommend? I am looking for something under $500.00 that will let me see very well at over 500 yards. Thanks again guys. This forum really helps.

Take care, and remember the guys and gals next month on Memorial Day. All gave some, but some gave ALL.
Todd.

IF I was buying a new mount, it would be the Bassett.

I just sold my old Brookfield mount because it only fit my Smith Ent rifle and that rifle did not need optics.

TLS 04-08-2010 08:21 PM

Thanks again guys. I will not give up. Any of you guys have an idea on the scope question that I talked about in my previous post?

M14sRock 04-08-2010 09:48 PM

The $500 range puts you somewhere "in between" on optics. For $300 or so you can get a Super Sniper from SWFA. It is a way better scope than its price would lead one to believe. The Pride Fowler scopes are also really good but start a bit higher ($600+/-?).

I prefer some type of Mil Dot based scope on the M14, but if you don't care about a military type of scope get a good Leupold VX3 and learn how to estimate range. Then learn your "hold overs" and practice, practice, practice.

TLS 04-09-2010 12:58 AM

Thanks. I will check them out. If I am going to "scope" this rifle. Would I really ever want to use the iron sights? I am trying to keep the rifle as standard as possible, but I don't want to do that if it is going to come back and bite me later.
Thanks.
Todd.

M14sRock 04-09-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLS (Post 266887)
Thanks. I will check them out. If I am going to "scope" this rifle. Would I really ever want to use the iron sights? I am trying to keep the rifle as standard as possible, but I don't want to do that if it is going to come back and bite me later.
Thanks.
Todd.

Everyone has their opinion. Mine is this.

Focus on what you want it to be in its primary use. If you want it scoped, get the best, lowest mount possible. Then use the best, lowest rings that work. Don't worry about seeing the irons with the scope mounted. If you need the irons, remove the mount.

And with the Basset, it returns to zero almost perfectly when you remove and remount the mount.

TLS 04-09-2010 01:37 AM

So if I get the Basset "low". I can leave the rear sight attached, but just can't use it right? I was under the assumption that I had to physically "remove" the rear sight. Also how long, (inch wise), is the rail on the Basset low?

M14sRock 04-09-2010 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLS (Post 266913)
So if I get the Basset "low". I can leave the rear sight attached, but just can't use it right? I was under the assumption that I had to physically "remove" the rear sight. Also how long, (inch wise), is the rail on the Basset low?

The sight stays in place under the mount. Remove the mount and use the sight.

I'm not sure how long the rail is. Specs might be on the BassetMachine website, though.

TLS 04-09-2010 04:45 AM

Thanks for all of your help. Hopefully I will have a mount and scope ordered by next week.

M14sRock 04-09-2010 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLS (Post 267028)
Thanks for all of your help. Hopefully I will have a mount and scope ordered by next week.

Good luck. Remember to post some pics.

TLS 04-09-2010 06:22 AM

Yea that's easy for you to say. I am lucky just be able to type on this forum. I will try and get someone who knows what they are doing, and have them post the pics.
Thanks again for all of your help.

M14sRock 04-09-2010 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLS (Post 267080)
Yea that's easy for you to say. I am lucky just be able to type on this forum. I will try and get someone who knows what they are doing, and have them post the pics.
Thanks again for all of your help.

If I can do it, anyone can. Start with a Photobucket account.

TLS 04-12-2010 11:12 PM

Hey M14sRock.

I think I have decided to go with the Sadlak "package" deal. Mount, scope, and rings. Mike Sadlak suggested that I would need a "cheek pad" in order to see through the scope easier. For the scope, I chose the "Millett, 4-16x50 TRS-1 Tactical 30mm. The rings are Leupold, and the mount is the steel model. Just thought I would run this by you and get your opinion. Haven't bought anything yet. Unless I hear horror stories about my choice, I will probably get the order in tomorrow, (13 April).
Thanks.
Todd.

M14sRock 04-13-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLS (Post 268934)
Hey M14sRock.

I think I have decided to go with the Sadlak "package" deal. Mount, scope, and rings. Mike Sadlak suggested that I would need a "cheek pad" in order to see through the scope easier. For the scope, I chose the "Millett, 4-16x50 TRS-1 Tactical 30mm. The rings are Leupold, and the mount is the steel model. Just thought I would run this by you and get your opinion. Haven't bought anything yet. Unless I hear horror stories about my choice, I will probably get the order in tomorrow, (13 April).
Thanks.
Todd.

Nope. No horror stories. Those are excellent choices. You cannot go wrong with Sadlak, and Mike is as solid a guy as you will find in the gun industry. I have not used the Millett, but have heard very good things about them. Henry did a side by side comparison of the Millett and Super Sniper on another forum and he gave the M high marks.

For your cheekrest, check out Desert Warrior Products. Their rest is great.

TLS 04-13-2010 03:10 AM

Thanks man.

I am still wondering about the price of the scope rings. I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for", but...

Don't think I should mention the price here, unless it is OK to do so. Like I said before. I am new at this forum.

Can I list the price?
Thanks.
Todd.

M14sRock 04-13-2010 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLS (Post 269063)
Thanks man.

I am still wondering about the price of the scope rings. I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for", but...

Don't think I should mention the price here, unless it is OK to do so. Like I said before. I am new at this forum.

Can I list the price?
Thanks.
Todd.

You can list them, but be specific as to what they are. Leupold PRW's are NOT the same as Mark4 rings. So the price is not even close.

M14sRock 04-13-2010 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLS (Post 269063)
Thanks man.

Can I list the price?
Thanks.
Todd.

PM inbound.

M14sRock 04-13-2010 03:47 AM

Todd, clear out your PM's. Your inbox is full.

TLS 04-13-2010 04:06 AM

I am trying to do that. Like I said before. Not to savvy on this deal. Try again.

tallyman 12-01-2011 07:40 PM

M14/M1A1 Scope Mounting Instructions

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone have a copy of the instructions for installing a side mount on an M14/M1A1?

M14sRock 12-01-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallyman (Post 641147)
Anyone have a copy of the instructions for installing a side mount on an M14/M1A1?

The only instructions I can give you with that mount is "Don't bother. It won't stay tight."

Try a Bassett or Sadlak.

Ufd152 01-21-2012 05:05 AM

use blue locktite with it, works well

75370 01-21-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 266635)
This was a great mount. SAI offered a very similar mount on their White Feather rifle. Some people did not like that it required losing the rear sight, but getting a solid mount and having it sit so low is worth it in my opinion.

BUT Accuracy Speaks quit offering these mounts a while ago and when I spoke with Derrick about them he told me they had no intentions of making them again. Bummer. And the SAI version is not stiff enough.

M14sRock, not that it matters much now, but on the Accuracy Speaks mount the rear sight is still able to be used again as is the stripper clip guide.
Although, I don't know why anyone would want to go back.

M14sRock 01-21-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75370 (Post 684007)
M14sRock, not that it matters much now, but on the Accuracy Speaks mount the rear sight is still able to be used again as is the stripper clip guide.
Although, I don't know why anyone would want to go back.

Yes, the mount can be removed and the rear sight and clip guide re-installed.

Gallo Pazzesco 03-22-2012 02:37 PM

I've been very satisfied, for years, with my ARMS m21/14 #18 SWAN NSN 1240-01-316-0055 ... and they can still be had for under $200.00.

ARMS m21/14 #18 SWAN NSN 1240-01-316-0055

Sniper03 07-03-2012 12:25 AM

mrm14,

Another great M-14/M1-A Mount is the ARMS #18 M-21/M-14 Mount.
NSN-1240-01-316-0055
I have tried several only to be totally disappointed. Until I got the ARMS Mount some 10 years ago now! It is on my NM M1-A. It is "Rock Solid" And built very well. You will have to remove your clip guide since it also mounts solidly in the dovetail. But this mount is absolutely great. I just completed an M-14 Instructors Course last week and after all the years it was still dead on clear back to the 500 yard line. I would highly recomend this one to anyone wanting a reliable and durable solid mount! :)

mrm14 07-03-2012 12:47 AM

Well I made this post back in 2009 and since then have removed the scope and went back to irons with this M1A. I did go with a smaller hole in the aperature peep sight which helped alot with my eyes. The gun just seems more natural with the iron sights. Also since this original post in 2009 I got into 1000 yard shooting and custom built bolt guns. The M1A @ 100 yard zero could never put holes in holes. The custom built bolt guns can put those holes in holes @ 100 yards all day long. I still have the McCanns mount and the Bassett mount which both worked extremely well for me. I've put the Leupold 4-14X40 VXIII scope on a sporterized Springfield 03A3. Some time down the road I'll probably re barrel this M1A to 260 Rem (6.5X51mm) or 243 Win. (6X51mm) and when I do I'll also probably put a Premere Reticle 3-15X50 with the Gen 2 XR reticle and use the Bassett mount.

All that being said, the M1A is probably one of the most fun guns in my stable. Possibly the most accurate semi auto I've ever shot. It also can take quite a beating and alot of neglect without a hitch.