Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Lyman STS repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Lyman STS repair

I have a Lyman STS with a broken reticle wire. Parsons wants $125 to solder on a new one. I can get 10' of wire for $15. The brass ring is easy to access.

Has anyone effected this repair? I would be interested in hearing of their accounts.

Thanks all. Gard

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

But do you have the skill and know how to do the repair and do it correctly?

Can you line the crosshair up at a perfect 90 degree angle get it attached without damage to the scope or the corsshair.

I bet that $15 spool of wife would end up costing you a scope. Me I am rather handy but, I also know when I can do something and when I can't I myself would not attempt to reset a corsshair on my own.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's an update on my broken Lyman scope:

I received the wire I ordered, and attempted to repaire the broken reticle in my Lyman scope. After removing the scope from the rifle, the eyepiece is unscrewed and then the reticle ring is removed by unscrewing two small machine screws.

I previously made a jig to hold the ring in place, and index the positioning of the reticles, so they are centered and stay exactly 90 degress to each other.

Placing the ring in the jig, I desoldered the two spots at either end of the broken reticle. The ring was cleaned and a spot of soldering flux was placed at each cleaned area. Cutting a piece of wire longer than necessary, I clipped each end to a hemostat, and hung them over the jig. After a spot of solder was added to each end, the wire was trimmed to length, and the ring was reinstalled into the scope.

The actual repair took aprox ten minutes, most of the time spent trying to find my strongest reading glasses. I figured the cost of materials at ~38 cents including the solder. I figure I have enough wire left over to repair about fourty more reticles.

cpttango30, I'm glad you lost that bet. I was always told that if you don't try things, you will never know what you can accomplish.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #4

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Good work and congrats. Now get out to a range and test out your handiwork. If it proves to be a success than may I suggest a good write up with pics and post it in the DIY section here - http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #5

Liked 2357 Times on 1054 Posts
Likes Given: 2263

Good job. My theory is, if some chinese kid can build it I can probably fix it.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
Here's an update on my broken Lyman scope:

I received the wire I ordered, and attempted to repaire the broken reticle in my Lyman scope. After removing the scope from the rifle, the eyepiece is unscrewed and then the reticle ring is removed by unscrewing two small machine screws.

I previously made a jig to hold the ring in place, and index the positioning of the reticles, so they are centered and stay exactly 90 degress to each other.

Placing the ring in the jig, I desoldered the two spots at either end of the broken reticle. The ring was cleaned and a spot of soldering flux was placed at each cleaned area. Cutting a piece of wire longer than necessary, I clipped each end to a hemostat, and hung them over the jig. After a spot of solder was added to each end, the wire was trimmed to length, and the ring was reinstalled into the scope.

The actual repair took aprox ten minutes, most of the time spent trying to find my strongest reading glasses. I figured the cost of materials at ~38 cents including the solder. I figure I have enough wire left over to repair about fourty more reticles.

cpttango30, I'm glad you lost that bet. I was always told that if you don't try things, you will never know what you can accomplish.
Glad I lost it too. Did you take any pictures during the process? If you please post them up I would love to see your jig and how you did it.

If not consider this your scolding for not taking pictures. Now go break that wire and do it over this time with pictures.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Because this is not a commonly used scope, and is generally considered old school, I din't think this repair would interest many folks. My main intent was to show that the prices being charged were unrealistic, specifically in relation to the amount of labour and materials, actually being used.

I am as dumb as a stump when it relates to computer postings. I belong to other forums, including horses and trailers. Even there, I have been incapable of posting photos. I joined Photobucket and failed again. When I have to post photos, I Email them to a friend and he posts for me.

If anyone is actually contemplating a similar repair, I would be quite glad to offer instructions. The jig is simple and constructed of scrap materials with little time being involved. Only a drill, saw and soldering gun is needed to effect the repair (s)

Old 04-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
Because this is not a commonly used scope, and is generally considered old school, I din't think this repair would interest many folks. My main intent was to show that the prices being charged were unrealistic, specifically in relation to the amount of labour and materials, actually being used.

I am as dumb as a stump when it relates to computer postings. I belong to other forums, including horses and trailers. Even there, I have been incapable of posting photos. I joined Photobucket and failed again. When I have to post photos, I Email them to a friend and he posts for me.

If anyone is actually contemplating a similar repair, I would be quite glad to offer instructions. The jig is simple and constructed of scrap materials with little time being involved. Only a drill, saw and soldering gun is needed to effect the repair (s)
I sure know more than a few over on RFC (Rim Fire Central) would love to have that information.

Glad it worked out so well....

If you ever need help posting pics here shoot me a PM and I can help.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #9

Likes Given: 1

Gard, you would be surprised how many folks would love to see a photo tutorial on how you replaced the wire. Many of us have older, quality scopes such as El Paso Weavers, etc, that we would be willing to try to repair.

And congrats on your work--you had the guts to try something out of your usual skill set.

"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"--Brendan Behan, Irish poet.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

Default Lyman Eyepiece Repair

Hi;
VERY infomative thread!!
Along these lines, I have a Lyman 3x9 Perma-Center scope, and the eyepiece is loose, or wiggles a bit...
The rest of the scope seems fine, and holds center and all, but that is just bugging me...
Is it as simple as just unscrewing the eyepiece section from the main tube, and replacing an o-ring or two, or??

I just hate to create a worse problem, but maybe it ~is~ just that simple...
Any suggestions or tips from someone that's been there would be MUCH appreciated...
Thanks,
Barry