Lower power scope suggestions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Lower power scope suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lower power scope suggestions

Looking for a suitable scope for an older mannlicher schoenaur rifle in cal 243. Maybe 1 to 8 power or so for general predator hunting.

Am considering a #4 German post type reticle with ranging turrets from Leupold for when I settle on a load. Suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #2

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I was looking at post recticle scopes and found this one and it might fit the bill on a euro rifle- http://kalinkaoptics.com/pv-2-10x52-pilade-zoom-weapon-rifle-scope-w-german-post-reticle.html

Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5694 Times on 3218 Posts
Likes Given: 5090

A number of makers offer 2-10 scopes. If that's too powerful, look at the Leupold line of 1-4.5 and 1.5-5 scopes.

Winston Churchill

Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #4

Thanks.

I shall look into it.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 726

For predators a strait 4x works great.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #6

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If a 1.5-5x32 is suitable, you might want to check Natchez Shooters Supply to see if they have any of the Nitrex TR1 scopes left. Basically you get about a $280 scope for $120 (+shipping). Nice scope, good glass and about same as a Weaver Grand Slam. Made in Japan in same plant as the Weaver Grand Slams. Natchez sells the same power scope in the Weaver Grand Slam line for $300. I've recommended this scope to a number of folks wanting such a power scope for a 30-30 rifle and etc. Those that bought it would later post how happy they were with it.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #7

Again, thanks for the heads up. There is also the 2.5 to 10x leupolds with the varmint reticle.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #8

Well, they don't have a "varmit reticle", but there are a couple models of Nitrex TR1s in 3-10 power range still available at Natchez. Here is one of them. Once again, optics are very good in it.....matches or maybe even better than a comparable Leupold.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE94569 &src=exrbSrch

Old 09-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5694 Times on 3218 Posts
Likes Given: 5090

I've never heard of Nitrex. Who makes them??

Winston Churchill

Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #10

At one time ATK ( a darn large military complex company that owns CCI, Speer, Federal, Outers, has contract to run the Lake City ammunition plant for military ammo (and many other companies) owned Nitrex, Intensity and Weaver scopes (may have had rights to Redfield name too, before Leupold). As I recall, Nitrex and Intensity were marketed thru different channels than Weaver. ATK sold Weaver to Meade (telescope maker), who owned Simmons and forget other old scope brand, leaving Nitrex and Intensity ATKs main lines of rifle scopes. Evidently, ATK realized this was a mistake and reacquired Weaver from Meade about a year or so later. Once ATK had Weaver again, they discontinued Nitrex and Intensity brands. So, Nitrex line was made by Low of Japan, the same company making the Weaver Grand and SuperSlam scopes as well as Bushnell's Elite line of scopes.....forget other top brand(s) of scope they make. LOW used same optics and internals in Nitrex scopes they used in Weaver Grand and Super Slams. Light Optical Works (LOW) has been described as maybe the best scope maker in Asia. The Intensity line of scopes were basically Weaver 40/44s and are made in Philippines.....some rumor that LOW owns or has a large interest in this Philippine plant.

Nitrex and Intensity lines were discontinued and remaining inventory of these brands were sold at a very good price discount, some models with rebates too. For example, I bought a Nitrex TR2 4-20x50 for about $280 (after $100 rebate) and this same scope in Weaver as a Super Slam today you might find priced between $550 to $600, list price of over a $1000. Natchez Shooters Supply evidently handled the selling of Nitrex inventory. Intensity brand inventory sold by Natchez and Sportsmans Guide. Intensity scope I bought cost me around $90 and as a Weaver 40/44 it sells for around $190 or more. Ooops, forgot Natchez very recently reduced this Weaver 40/44 to $140. If I needed another scope in this power range, I'd not hesitate to order one of these.

By the way, Weaver handles the life time warranty on the discontinued Nitrex and Intensity lines.