Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Looking for a scope (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/looking-scope-70185/)

swann 08-13-2012 02:22 AM

Looking for a scope

Hey guys I'm looking for a awesome scope to deer hunt with. It will be going on a 270 xbolt wsm.

c3shooter 08-13-2012 03:22 AM

No bigger than a 2-7 variable. Leupold is sort of the benchmark now, unless you are looking at some REALLY high dollar glass. They are also now making Redfield brand, having acquired the name. I was partial to the Redfield Widefield scopes- oval lenses, lower height but a great field of view.

Txhillbilly 08-13-2012 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 901929)
Leupold is sort of the benchmark now, unless you are looking at some REALLY high dollar glass.

Really?
c3,I'll have to disagree with Leupold being a benchmark for scopes.
Leupold makes a decent product that is way over priced for what you get.Yes,they have a great lifetime warranty,but you pay for it in the price,and just about every other scope maker offers a lifetime warranty on their products.

The Zeiss Conquest line is a great hunting scope,as is the Sightron SII Big Sky line.They both have better glass than the Leupold VX3,and are priced in the same range-$400-450.

Weaver,Redfield,Nikon,Bushnell,Burris have some decent scopes,but unless you buy their top tier scopes,you'll notice the lower quality of the optics.

It all depends on how much you want to spend,but I always prefer quality in my optics.Buy once,Cry once!

treehugger49 08-13-2012 01:37 PM

On my last hunting rifle, an AR-15 in 6.8 SPC, I went with a Trijicon 3 - 9 X 40 AccuPoint. Great glass, a choice of reticles (I went with the green Mil-Dot) and excellent performance in low-light conditions - like those when the elusive big boys tend to show up. Plus, it's built like a tank. Weighs only about 13 oz.

If you shop around you can find them in the $600 range w/ free shipping.

Badshot320 08-13-2012 04:36 PM

I have 2 Redfields and I am really happy with them. Far as the Leupold bashing my father has owned several since the mid 80s, hes a competition shooter so they see lots of action, a few times they have needed to be fixed and from the time hes sent them to Leupold he usually has them back in a week to 2 weeks. Im not saying no other company could have them fixed and returned that quickly but I doubt many would. Bushnell charges you just to inspect their products.......
Ive had several Weaver T-6s and a 6-14x and they were very clear, tracked properly, and dependable. The T-6s were all on Hunter class Benchguns in short .308 Bluebirds and the 6-14 was on a 300WM so recoil was a normal thing.

Badshot

Txhillbilly 08-13-2012 06:15 PM

Badshot,I'm not bashing Leupold scopes,and I have had a few of them over the years.
But they are not a "Benchmark" for optics by any means,IMO.
I have many different brands of scopes on my rifles from $50 BSA's on rimfires to $2000 Swarovski's on hunting rifles.There are way too many brands on the market today that are far superior to Leupold,and carry a warranty that is just as good.
Weaver does make some excellent scopes,I have a Super Slam and a couple Classic Extreme's.

sdiver35 08-13-2012 06:26 PM

I've got the Nikon 223, 4-12 BDC which is pretty nice.

Badshot320 08-13-2012 06:43 PM

I didnt take any personal offense to what you said Hillbilly, was just showing my support of a brand and trying to back that support up with personal experience. You read alot of people saying how theres better for the price but give no details as to what or why. Someone with a 30/30 they carry horseback to hunt mountain lions that has had whatever brand of scope for 20 years with no problems carries more weight to me than someone saying their Nightforce on their AR15 that they carry 5 miles to the range in a metal box has been flawless for 3 or 4 trips doesnt mean much. :rolleyes:

Badshot

hmh 08-13-2012 06:57 PM

I have a Nikon monarch on a model 70 .270wsm works great I would get a scope with a max power of 10-12. The. 270 wsm is one of the flattest shooting rounds out there.

huffmanite 08-14-2012 01:18 AM

Swann, been some good suggestions made. But curious on what range shots you will be making or do you have any particular magnification/power scope you'd like.

If the standard 3-9 variable magnification will do and you want to save some bucks, then suggest you visit website of Natchez Shooters Supply and check to see what Nitrex TR1 scopes they have left to sell. These TR1 scopes are basically Weaver Grand Slam scopes, have same optics and internals. Darn good buy on them, less than 1/2 price of a Weaver since they are a discontinued line of scopes. Have a couple of Nitrex scopes myself and wish I'd been able to buy more of them before Natchez sold out of ones of interest to me. Don't be concerned with warranty, Nitrex and Weaver owned by same company and Weaver will continue Nitrex life time warranty. To find them on Natchez site, just use their search box and type in Nitrex TR1. You'll get a page showing Nitrex scopes, including the ones they are sold out of. Search thru them, but last time I checked, anything $150 or so less they still have to sell and at one time they sold for twice the price. Darn good optics in them.