Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Looking for opinions on optics (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/looking-opinions-optics-77784/)

truckie98 12-05-2012 04:25 PM

Looking for opinions on optics

I'm new to the AR world I recently bought a S&W in .556 I'm looking for a decent optic that can handle the caliber and also wondering about magnifiers and if they are even worth the time and money. Any thoughts would be great.

locutus 12-05-2012 04:51 PM

A little more info.

What exactly is your definition of optics????

Magnifiers? Virtually all scopes are magnifiers. Are you referring to Red Dots???

truckie98 12-05-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus
A little more info.

What exactly is your definition of optics????

Magnifiers? Virtually all scopes are magnifiers. Are you referring to Red Dots???

Sorry I've been looking at so many of these things I'm just out right confused. I'm more of a range plinker I might do a little hunting with it but probably not much if any. I've been leaning towards red dot but also looking at something like an acog style scope also. Is it possible to do both and if so which one should be on a drop mount or should I even mess with the drop mount? Unfortunately I just don't have trijicon money though.

purehavoc 12-05-2012 09:55 PM

what are you looking to spend ? thats the big question . When you say ACOG style please dont buy a cheap chinese styled ACOG , you will get what you pay for . Vortec is high on the list , Lifetime no BS / no frills warranty and fabulous customer service

Shade 12-05-2012 10:52 PM

I would like a primer on tactical optics. Hunting scopes I know, but
Red Dots, Holo's and ACOGs I need to learn more about. Have some
AR's coming that need some optics.

JTJ 12-06-2012 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine has a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4x24 4A reticle with a 1 MOA illuminated dot. Scope will still function if the battery goes dead. It gives me the choice of a 1x red dot or a 4x scope with red dot. No flip over mounts. Just dial in the power. You will need a forward offset mount.

Hoffs333 12-07-2012 02:27 AM

I would like to hear the pros and cons of what you all have tried as well. I have bought 2 red dots and don't really like either.
I got the Barska with the 3x mag... the mag won't line up correctly and the 32mm optic is too small. It looks cool and the illuminated cross hair is nice that's about it. Then I got some UTG red dot at a gun show... its a POS as well.

I've been waiting something that will work for long range (200-250) and close range for coyotes.

I'm thinking about getting the Eotech EXPS3-4...then eventually getting a mount for the Barska magnifier to see if that works

LarryWMcneely 12-08-2012 01:43 AM

I have a Vortex strike fire and it works great for the range and Coyote hunting . They have an awesome lifetime warranty and it works great with the AR mount as an absolute co witness to your Iron sights or flip up sights like I have . The only thing to remember is that the dot is a 3 inch moa and at 100 yards the dot covers a 3 inch target . I have no problems hitting coyotes at 200 yards and I can hit an 8 inch metal plate 10 out of 10 times at 200 yards but the dot completely covers the plate . I want to get a magnifier next to see how they work and then I will probably save up for an eotech as they are a 1 inch moa .

willfully armed 12-08-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1040708)
Mine has a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4x24 4A reticle with a 1 MOA illuminated dot. Scope will still function if the battery goes dead. It gives me the choice of a 1x red dot or a 4x scope with red dot. No flip over mounts. Just dial in the power. You will need a forward offset mount.

This is the scope I have on my AR. $67 from midwayusa .

Good enough to hit steel at 400 yards.

locutus 12-08-2012 03:19 PM

For 250 to 300 yards, an Aimpoint PRO should serve you well.

www.swfa.com