Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Look at this..........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wouldn't be surprised if you found a good youTube video on the subject. I'm amazed at the obscure instructional videos I can find there.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6745 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
Ha, with me its hurry up, scratch gun, then buy a new gun without scratch for the safe and used the scratched one.

How do you think I got 7 security sixes?
Well, if you ever want to get rid of one of those Security Sixes, I'm first in line, okay? And I'm a woman, we approach projects differently than most guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if you found a good youTube video on the subject. I'm amazed at the obscure instructional videos I can find there.
I'll look. I have to let the idea settle in my mind for a while. Unlike Mesinge2............

Old 08-08-2011, 01:29 AM   #13

Winds, I got my scope for the Buckmark a few days ago. Just need rings and a sight in session!
Totally hi-jacking your thread for sure, I apologize!

I challenge you to an Internet duel, your shiny Ruger and scope.....................
against my black Buckmark and scope.

We'll post range reports, and determine the winner? We need rules though! And a prize?

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Last edited by Gordo323; 01-22-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #14
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I'll take the challenge. I think I can get my scope mounted and I might even possibley be able to zero it in. If not, you're going to have to wait until I get Bear or JonM to help me with that.

I just have to put my gun back together, first.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #15

Bought some rings today, everyone sold out of the Burris Signature, so settled on some Custom Steel rings and lined the inside with some anti-chafe tape.

Scope is mounted and laser bore sighted to about 25 ft., oughta get me on the paper! Hope to get to the range and fine tune in the next day or so, if not it will have to wait until I get back from my next work trip.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Last edited by Gordo323; 01-22-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5276 Times on 2751 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I'll take the challenge. I think I can get my scope mounted and I might even possibley be able to zero it in. If not, you're going to have to wait until I get Bear or JonM to help me with that.

I just have to put my gun back together, first.
oh forgot to tell ya those rings should be lapped before you mount a quality scope. i never did bother to lap them as i dont use pistol scopes. not sure why i remembered that.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #17
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Okay *sigh*, what the heck is "lapping them"?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #18

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Okay *sigh*, what the heck is "lapping them"?
Something that you should have Bear do when you are there... It's a fairly involved process of using a steel rod and a lapping compound, think of a really gritty toothpaste, to remove surface imperfections from metal. For a scope ring, lapping creates a better scope to ring contact surface that locks down the scope without overtightening. It also precisely aligns the center axis of the scope with the center axis off the bore for more precise zeroing of the scope. Many 1911 owners also lap the slide rails and frame to reduce friction and improve the "fit" of the slide.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 08-09-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5276 Times on 2751 Posts
Likes Given: 333

What jpyle said plus It also prevents the rings from scratching the scope marring the finish.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...