Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Leupy Mark AR thoughts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/leupy-mark-ar-thoughts-88598/)

Squawk 04-11-2013 03:54 AM

Leupy Mark AR thoughts

I'm looking to put a new optic on my AR15. I keep seeing the Mark AR from Leupold. It has the weight and eye relief I want in a scope.

Someone give me a (good) reason not to drop the $400-$500 on a Mark AR scope....

JonM 04-11-2013 12:45 PM

Its a leupold.

In my opinion leupold quality has gone into the toilet and is swirling around there with the ncstar guys.

Ive had 4 of their optics in the last 8 years two of the high end a mk4 and a vx7 have delimanited the lenses one cannot hold zero on the recoil of a 556 a cqb mk4 and only my 22 efr leupold hasnt self destructed.

I cant honestly recomend their products unless your getting one for free.

I would look at the nikon stuff if your on a budget or vortex or nightforce or trijicon if you want to save a few bucks more and get better optics.

Just my opinion from my experiences

Squawk 04-12-2013 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
Its a leupold.

In my opinion leupold quality has gone into the toilet and is swirling around there with the ncstar guys.

Ive had 4 of their optics in the last 8 years two of the high end a mk4 and a vx7 have delimanited the lenses one cannot hold zero on the recoil of a 556 a cqb mk4 and only my 22 efr leupold hasnt self destructed.

I cant honestly recomend their products unless your getting one for free.

I would look at the nikon stuff if your on a budget or vortex or nightforce or trijicon if you want to save a few bucks more and get better optics.

Just my opinion from my experiences

I honestly just like the lightweight and reticle of the Mark AR. Gimme a recommendation for a lightweight scope for an AR with and illuminated dot similar to the firedot. I have owned two Nikons and did not care for either. M223 4-16 and Prostaff 3-9. Both were underwhelming and I did not like the BDC reticle.

My only experience with Vortex is the strikefire that crapped on me twice. It was repaired for free both times but I sold it after the second repair.

The SPR Firedot and TMR Firedot are nice looking reticles. Something in that ballpark is what I am interested in.

JonM 04-12-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk (Post 1211123)
I honestly just like the lightweight and reticle of the Mark AR. Gimme a recommendation for a lightweight scope for an AR with and illuminated dot similar to the firedot. I have owned two Nikons and did not care for either. M223 4-16 and Prostaff 3-9. Both were underwhelming and I did not like the BDC reticle.

My only experience with Vortex is the strikefire that crapped on me twice. It was repaired for free both times but I sold it after the second repair.

The SPR Firedot and TMR Firedot are nice looking reticles. Something in that ballpark is what I am interested in.

lightweight and durable are diametrically opposite. you cant have both. im not trying to talk you into or out of anything just relaying my experiences with leupold products.

locutus 04-14-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk (Post 1211123)

first, my experience with Leupold has been different from Jon's. I like therm.

Second, your experience with Nikon was their economy lines.

Try a Nikon Monarch 3 or Monarch X.

Jon is right though, that lightweight and durable are opposites.

My advice though for small, lightweight and EXTREMELY durable is an ACOG. They're a bit pricey, but the very best always is.

Squawk 04-15-2013 12:10 PM

I never said anything about durability. Just lightweight and eye relief. The Mark AR 1.5-4x20 weighs less than 10 ounces (9.5 oz.). And has decent eye relief (3.8-4.3).

The most strenuous thing I would be doing to the scope would probably be Yote hunting and run & guns.
And I just can't afford or justify spending $1000 or more on an ACOG. They look cool and all, but the warranty is limited unlike a Leupy.

JonM 04-15-2013 02:54 PM

The lower price points of various scope makers are usually made in china and arent very good regardless what label is placed on them.

I dont like the lower end nikon stuff, its junk. But their monarch optics are pretty good and able to withstand some decent abuse.

I wouldnt rank an acog as lightweight for its size. Ive got one on my shtf carbine the wife uses an aimpoint.

For the record on trijicon warranty, its pretty good and only electronics and tritium based parts have limited warranties which is typical. Leupold has very limited warranty on electronic parts. Trijicon warranty is lifetime of the original purchaser for defects of mechanical non-tritium infused or electronic parts.

Trijicon is the only company i know of that warranties tritium for the life of the tritium and will replace for free before its expected lifespan if it dims before then. After words its really cheap to get recharged.

Trijicon warranty is right up there with leupold nightforce etc.

Squawk 04-15-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
The lower price points of various scope makers are usually made in china and arent very good regardless what label is placed on them.

I dont like the lower end nikon stuff, its junk. But their monarch optics are pretty good and able to withstand some decent abuse.

I wouldnt rank an acog as lightweight for its size. Ive got one on my shtf carbine the wife uses an aimpoint.

For the record on trijicon warranty, its pretty good and only electronics and tritium based parts have limited warranties which is typical. Leupold has very limited warranty on electronic parts. Trijicon warranty is lifetime of the original purchaser for defects of mechanical non-tritium infused or electronic parts.

Trijicon is the only company i know of that warranties tritium for the life of the tritium and will replace for free before its expected lifespan if it dims before then. After words its really cheap to get recharged.

Trijicon warranty is right up there with leupold nightforce etc.

Gimme a recommendation besides Nikon, Leupy or ACOG. Lightweight and decent eye relief. Something under $750. Target, bench and (later) 3 Gun.

JonM 04-15-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk (Post 1214858)
Gimme a recommendation besides Nikon, Leupy or ACOG. Lightweight and decent eye relief. Something under $750. Target, bench and (later) 3 Gun.

Trijicon makes their accupoint in that range. Ive got the 2.5-10x rugged lightweight simple with illuminated dot or chevron. Highly recomend em very very solid scope. They msrp for 1k but can be had for much less if you shop around

Squawk 04-16-2013 12:54 AM

That's some nice looking glass. I think Im gonna give the Leupy Mark AR a try. I can get the scope plus a good QD mount for under $600. Gotta ball on a budget. Just got my letter from State Police saying I can pick up my CCDW License next week so I have a new gun purchase to keep in mind.