Leupold VX-II
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Leupold VX-II

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Leupold VX-II

What do you guys think of the VX-II series? Specifically the 3-9x40mm. Thoughts? Criticisms? Thinking of purchasing for my Remington 700 in .308, looking for an all purpose optic with repeatability. Thinking wide duplex as well, all for under 300 seems too good to be true.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a VX II 4-12/40 mounted on a 25-06 that I just had to send back to Leupold. I've run maybe 200 shells through it. My dad has the same scope on a 7mm, he's run about 10 shells through it, had to send his back to Leupold. On dad's it would never hold it's point of aim. Every time you shot it, it would shoot some where else. The cross hair wouldn't move in mine. It worked great when I first got it, but I changed the mounts this winter, went to bore sight it, and nothing inside moves. I know it has a lifetime warranty, but I think I'll stick with Vortex Optics from here on out.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2240 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Quote:
I have a VX II 4-12/40 mounted on a 25-06 that I just had to send back to Leupold. I've run maybe 200 shells through it. My dad has the same scope on a 7mm, he's run about 10 shells through it, had to send his back to Leupold. On dad's it would never hold it's point of aim. Every time you shot it, it would shoot some where else. The cross hair wouldn't move in mine. It worked great when I first got it, but I changed the mounts this winter, went to bore sight it, and nothing inside moves.
i used Leupold scopes for about 40 years with no trouble until recently. The two scopes i had trouble with were the FX II 4X32 model-its the fixed power equivalent of the VX II. i installed the scope on my TC Black Diamond muzzleloader. The scope would not zero. Regardless of the adjustments i dialed in; the bullets kept landing in the same place. Even tried whacking on the tube with my short starter. Took the scope off the rifle and re-installed it. Tried to zero the rifle again and failed again. Sent that scope back and received another FX II 4x32 scope. Had the same problem with the second scope. Sent the second scope back for a refund.

For some time Leupold has been less than forthcoming when it comes to the source of parts used in their rifle scopes. Its a fact that some of the internal parts of some Leupold scopes come from China.

I will never buy another Leupold rifle scope or other optic. That Leupold scope will be replaced with a 4X32 IOR Valdada or a 3X9X40 Minox: i ordered one of each.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1254 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 528

I have an 18 year old VX III 3-9x40, a 3 year old VX III 3-9x40 and a 2 year old QDM Rifleman 3x9x40 and have not had any problems with any of them.

YMMV.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #5

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Check out the Sightron SII big sky series.

This is the scope I have on my .308HB. $75.00 rebate right now. Love it!!
http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-12x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9163.aspx

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #6

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spad2137
What do you guys think of the VX-II series? Specifically the 3-9x40mm. Thoughts? Criticisms? Thinking of purchasing for my Remington 700 in .308, looking for an all purpose optic with repeatability. Thinking wide duplex as well, all for under 300 seems too good to be true.
Good quality scope the leupold haters will talk crap becouse they need to make themselves think less about leupold an more about the imports they buy, I have used leupold scopes an gold ring binos for 30+ yrs never had one single prop other than I dropped my binos an broke lenses which leupold replaced for me no questions asked

Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Good quality scope the leupold haters will talk crap becouse they need to make themselves think less about leupold an more about the imports they buy, I have used leupold scopes an gold ring binos for 30+ yrs never had one single prop other than I dropped my binos an broke lenses which leupold replaced for me no questions asked
Now we're haters talking crap? I bought a crappy scope, called
It what it is, and now I'm talking crap so I'll feel better about vortex? Look pal, that's great that they worked for you, and if you'd bought 2 scopes and they were both garbage, you'd be singing a different tune. When I paid $400 for a scope and it only lasts 5 seasons, and dads still shooting with redfield's from the seventies, I'll call it like I see it. My vortex scopes have NEVER given me a problem, seen more abuse, and I don't doubt them when I got a big mulie in the crosshairs.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #8

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool

Now we're haters talking crap? I bought a crappy scope, called
It what it is, and now I'm talking crap so I'll feel better about vortex? Look pal, that's great that they worked for you, and if you'd bought 2 scopes and they were both garbage, you'd be singing a different tune. When I paid $400 for a scope and it only lasts 5 seasons, and dads still shooting with redfield's from the seventies, I'll call it like I see it. My vortex scopes have NEVER given me a problem, seen more abuse, and I don't doubt them when I got a big mulie in the crosshairs.
Its simple its man made any product by any brand can an will fail. Dont think it wont "pal" glad that the vortex u have works for you. Ford dodge chevy?????? Kinda rings a bell huh

Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2240 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Quote:
Look pal, that's great that they worked for you, and if you'd bought 2 scopes and they were both garbage, you'd be singing a different tune.
+1
i owned Leupold scopes for 40 years with not trouble, then i bought two pieces of Leupold junk-one right after the other. No more Leupold scopes for me.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Its simple its man made any product by any brand can an will fail. Dont think it wont "pal" glad that the vortex u have works for you. Ford dodge chevy?????? Kinda rings a bell huh
So who's trying to feel better about their sh*tty scopes now? While your thinking up more excuses for Leupold, I'll be out at the gun range.

Wait, was this thing on?

Closed Thread