Leupold VX-II
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Leupold VX-II

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Spad2137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 47
Default Leupold VX-II

What do you guys think of the VX-II series? Specifically the 3-9x40mm. Thoughts? Criticisms? Thinking of purchasing for my Remington 700 in .308, looking for an all purpose optic with repeatability. Thinking wide duplex as well, all for under 300 seems too good to be true.

__________________
Spad2137 is offline  
 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
theropinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hooper,Utah
Posts: 512
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I have a VX II 4-12/40 mounted on a 25-06 that I just had to send back to Leupold. I've run maybe 200 shells through it. My dad has the same scope on a 7mm, he's run about 10 shells through it, had to send his back to Leupold. On dad's it would never hold it's point of aim. Every time you shot it, it would shoot some where else. The cross hair wouldn't move in mine. It worked great when I first got it, but I changed the mounts this winter, went to bore sight it, and nothing inside moves. I know it has a lifetime warranty, but I think I'll stick with Vortex Optics from here on out.

__________________
theropinfool is offline  
 
Old 02-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SW OK
Posts: 4,565
Liked 2240 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Default

Quote:
I have a VX II 4-12/40 mounted on a 25-06 that I just had to send back to Leupold. I've run maybe 200 shells through it. My dad has the same scope on a 7mm, he's run about 10 shells through it, had to send his back to Leupold. On dad's it would never hold it's point of aim. Every time you shot it, it would shoot some where else. The cross hair wouldn't move in mine. It worked great when I first got it, but I changed the mounts this winter, went to bore sight it, and nothing inside moves.
i used Leupold scopes for about 40 years with no trouble until recently. The two scopes i had trouble with were the FX II 4X32 model-its the fixed power equivalent of the VX II. i installed the scope on my TC Black Diamond muzzleloader. The scope would not zero. Regardless of the adjustments i dialed in; the bullets kept landing in the same place. Even tried whacking on the tube with my short starter. Took the scope off the rifle and re-installed it. Tried to zero the rifle again and failed again. Sent that scope back and received another FX II 4x32 scope. Had the same problem with the second scope. Sent the second scope back for a refund.

For some time Leupold has been less than forthcoming when it comes to the source of parts used in their rifle scopes. Its a fact that some of the internal parts of some Leupold scopes come from China.

I will never buy another Leupold rifle scope or other optic. That Leupold scope will be replaced with a 4X32 IOR Valdada or a 3X9X40 Minox: i ordered one of each.
__________________
alsaqr is offline  
 
Old 02-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gatoragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North GA. Back home in Dixieland.
Posts: 3,506
Liked 1254 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 528

Default

I have an 18 year old VX III 3-9x40, a 3 year old VX III 3-9x40 and a 2 year old QDM Rifleman 3x9x40 and have not had any problems with any of them.

YMMV.

__________________
Gatoragn is online now  
 
Old 02-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,069
Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Default

Check out the Sightron SII big sky series.

This is the scope I have on my .308HB. $75.00 rebate right now. Love it!!
http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-12x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9163.aspx

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Old 02-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spad2137
What do you guys think of the VX-II series? Specifically the 3-9x40mm. Thoughts? Criticisms? Thinking of purchasing for my Remington 700 in .308, looking for an all purpose optic with repeatability. Thinking wide duplex as well, all for under 300 seems too good to be true.
Good quality scope the leupold haters will talk crap becouse they need to make themselves think less about leupold an more about the imports they buy, I have used leupold scopes an gold ring binos for 30+ yrs never had one single prop other than I dropped my binos an broke lenses which leupold replaced for me no questions asked
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
theropinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hooper,Utah
Posts: 512
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Good quality scope the leupold haters will talk crap becouse they need to make themselves think less about leupold an more about the imports they buy, I have used leupold scopes an gold ring binos for 30+ yrs never had one single prop other than I dropped my binos an broke lenses which leupold replaced for me no questions asked
Now we're haters talking crap? I bought a crappy scope, called
It what it is, and now I'm talking crap so I'll feel better about vortex? Look pal, that's great that they worked for you, and if you'd bought 2 scopes and they were both garbage, you'd be singing a different tune. When I paid $400 for a scope and it only lasts 5 seasons, and dads still shooting with redfield's from the seventies, I'll call it like I see it. My vortex scopes have NEVER given me a problem, seen more abuse, and I don't doubt them when I got a big mulie in the crosshairs.
__________________

Wait, was this thing on?

theropinfool is offline  
 
Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool

Now we're haters talking crap? I bought a crappy scope, called
It what it is, and now I'm talking crap so I'll feel better about vortex? Look pal, that's great that they worked for you, and if you'd bought 2 scopes and they were both garbage, you'd be singing a different tune. When I paid $400 for a scope and it only lasts 5 seasons, and dads still shooting with redfield's from the seventies, I'll call it like I see it. My vortex scopes have NEVER given me a problem, seen more abuse, and I don't doubt them when I got a big mulie in the crosshairs.
Its simple its man made any product by any brand can an will fail. Dont think it wont "pal" glad that the vortex u have works for you. Ford dodge chevy?????? Kinda rings a bell huh
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SW OK
Posts: 4,565
Liked 2240 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Default

Quote:
Look pal, that's great that they worked for you, and if you'd bought 2 scopes and they were both garbage, you'd be singing a different tune.
+1
i owned Leupold scopes for 40 years with not trouble, then i bought two pieces of Leupold junk-one right after the other. No more Leupold scopes for me.
__________________
alsaqr is offline  
 
Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
theropinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hooper,Utah
Posts: 512
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Its simple its man made any product by any brand can an will fail. Dont think it wont "pal" glad that the vortex u have works for you. Ford dodge chevy?????? Kinda rings a bell huh
So who's trying to feel better about their sh*tty scopes now? While your thinking up more excuses for Leupold, I'll be out at the gun range.
__________________

Wait, was this thing on?

theropinfool is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Redfield & Leupold Vincine Optics & Mounts 4 11-27-2011 03:32 AM
Leupold vs Nikon mrb1982 Optics & Mounts 5 11-14-2011 04:23 PM
Nikon Prostaff Scope Vs. Leupold VX-1 or Leupold Rifleman TC124 General Rifle Discussion 10 01-25-2010 12:17 AM
leupold vx-l moos420 Optics & Mounts 1 11-10-2009 12:38 PM
Leupold scopes grkyank Firearm Accessories & Gear 11 05-14-2008 08:19 PM