Leupold vs. Nikon
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Leupold vs. Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
FTF_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Leupold vs. Nikon

I would like to get some input on the best scope to put on my RRA AR1277. I have been looking at both Leupold and Nikon. Specifically the Leupold Mark AR - model #67170 vs. Nikon M-223 - model #8485.

I am not dead set on either of these but after looking around they seem to be pretty nice for up close and mid range shooting which is what I am looking for. If anyone has an opinion I would love to hear it. Thanks in advance!

support@grabagun.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2011, 03:37 AM   #2

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a Nikon M223 on my AR and sold it. In my uneducated opinion, the hype about matching the scope to the ballistics is a bunch of hogwash that I fell for. The EOTech went back onto the AR and will stay there.

I think any suitable scope will work fine on an AR. I think those marketed as AR-specific are gimmicky.

But I could be wrong and I can't be sure.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5919 Times on 3091 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Ive got both leupold and nikon choosng tween thetwo i would go leupold if the money for a better brand like nightforce wasnt there.

Up to 300ish yards pretty much anyting with decent clear glass will do. The 556 doesnt really drop much with a 100yd zero till after 200 yds.

Just my 2 primers worth take it for what its worth

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #4

I had a Leupold VX- II on my Remington 700 7mm. I bought a Nikon and liked the glass better than the Leupold, so the Nikon is now on my 700 and the Leupold is now sitting on my Marlin model 60.
Both good scopes, but I just liked the view thru the Nikon a little better. Everybody's eyes are different!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Nikons Monarch Line are great scopes I have 2 of them and love them. I have not used any others. Leupolds VX-II line in my eyes SUCKS. I would not buy anything lower than a VX-III or VX-3 they are worth the money.

Again I don't use or want anything like the two scopes your looking at.

My RRA PPR is topped with a 6-24x50mm Nikon Monarch with Side Focus. My Rem 700 VLS is topped with a Monarch UCC 6.5-20x42mm I traded a 6-18x40mm Leupold VX-II for that nikon and I'm glad I did.

Best thing to do is look at both side by side at a gun store and take them outside and look through them at items that are in the range you are wanting to shoot. Looking through scopes in a store does nothing for you.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Nikon M-223 line of scopes

Gunzilla, Great handle by the way.
I have been a big fan of the Nikon M-223 line of scopes as well as their BDC reticle. In the name of full disclosure, I have been doing some work for Nikon Sport Optics for the past 7 months. I have been using a
Nikon M-223 3-12x42SF Rapid Action Turret since I first had the opportunity to buy one. I demo'd one on stock DPMS .223's at a private 600 yard range in Oklahoma. Let me tell you, when I went 5 for 5 hitting a 10 in. steel gong at 600 yards I was sold. Before that I was a max 300 yard shooter with my Savage .223 bolt action, not any more. Now that Nikon has their Spot On Ballistic Program for folks to use for FREE at Nikonhunting.com, I think my accuracy is even better.
Just so you know, it's not just me either. Last summer I had the opportunity to join some guys who had never used a Nikon BDC reticle scope and these guys shot everything from 22LR's to .300 Win Mag's. The centerfires were shot out to 600 yards and watching the expressions on these guys faces as the tannerite exploded was priceless.
Just some added info as well. Nikon has a big Promotion going on till the end of May, Buy a M-223 scope from a PARTICIPATING dealer and get a FREE M-223 AR scope mount. $99 retail value. Pretty nice.
I hope this info helps?
Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions.
Bart

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
Gunzilla, Great handle by the way.
I have been a big fan of the Nikon M-223 line of scopes as well as their BDC reticle. In the name of full disclosure, I have been doing some work for Nikon Sport Optics for the past 7 months. I have been using a
Nikon M-223 3-12x42SF Rapid Action Turret since I first had the opportunity to buy one. I demo'd one on stock DPMS .223's at a private 600 yard range in Oklahoma. Let me tell you, when I went 5 for 5 hitting a 10 in. steel gong at 600 yards I was sold. Before that I was a max 300 yard shooter with my Savage .223 bolt action, not any more. Now that Nikon has their Spot On Ballistic Program for folks to use for FREE at Nikonhunting.com, I think my accuracy is even better.
Just so you know, it's not just me either. Last summer I had the opportunity to join some guys who had never used a Nikon BDC reticle scope and these guys shot everything from 22LR's to .300 Win Mag's. The centerfires were shot out to 600 yards and watching the expressions on these guys faces as the tannerite exploded was priceless.
Just some added info as well. Nikon has a big Promotion going on till the end of May, Buy a M-223 scope from a PARTICIPATING dealer and get a FREE M-223 AR scope mount. $99 retail value. Pretty nice.
I hope this info helps?
Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions.
Bart
***Brazen self-promotional plug***

Old 05-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default ?

Lon,
Just tryng to let folks know that just because one person says something is hogwash doesn't necessairly make it so. I defintely do not classify myself as a great shooter but I can tell you for a fact the BDC reticle on my Nikon scopes including the M-223 series scopes do work. The proof is in my freezer every year.
As for the letting folks know about how to get a free Nikon M-223 AR Mount,
Who doesn't like a deal? In fact other guys I have let know about this promotion have been thankful.
I certainly did not intend for my post to be anything but informative and for you taking offense, my sincerest apologies.

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Old 05-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
Lon,
Just tryng to let folks know that just because one person says something is hogwash doesn't necessairly make it so. I defintely do not classify myself as a great shooter but I can tell you for a fact the BDC reticle on my Nikon scopes including the M-223 series scopes do work. The proof is in my freezer every year.
As for the letting folks know about how to get a free Nikon M-223 AR Mount,
Who doesn't like a deal? In fact other guys I have let know about this promotion have been thankful.
I certainly did not intend for my post to be anything but informative and for you taking offense, my sincerest apologies.
No apology required, but many vendors here have ponied up money for vendor status. It appears you have not.

And I agree that one man's hogwash may not be for another. I have no problem with you defending the product. I have three or four Nikon scopes that I use a lot, and I love them. It is my opinion, though, that scopes tailored specifically for the AR are nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Last edited by lonyaeger; 05-12-2011 at 12:45 AM.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default status

I wasn't aware that I needed to pay to make a post Lon.
I was just looking over this site and saw a post that I thought I could make a worthwhile contribution too. Like you said, we all have opinions and I would not even begin to try and sway you from yours. When it comes to scopes for many it's like Ford and Chevy, I drive Ford Trucks, My choice. You might like Chevy, I'm ok with that, I'm not going to try and change you from something that works for you.
Thank you for the reply.

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff