Lets talk high end glass - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Lets talk high end glass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since i origionally posted this thread ive done quite a bit more research on the subject and now im very heavily considering Sightron (SI III 6-24x50 mill dot). My reasons being that although this will be a long range rifle it will probably never see much beyond 600 yards. And since this is not a full blown 5k dollar rifle i just really have a hard time justifying a 1500 dollar scope on this rifle when an 800 dollar scope will most likely do 93 percent of the job that the expensive ones will do. Everything ive read says the glass is exceptionally clear and the tracking is the best on the market. Its not FFP but ill most likely be shooting known ranges so the mils will be used mostly for lead and holdover in a pinch.

I cant seem to find if they offer the adjustments in mils because i agree that that would greatly simplify things in a pinch and my calculator does give the solution in mils and somthing called IPHA whatever the hell that is.

Plus i cant seem to find a bad review anywhere on the net so thats a plus.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #22

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Hot I know a few guys that are putting Sightron SIII on $3K bench rifles over leupold and nightforce. That is how good they really are.

When I build my custom I will top it with a Sightron and be happy that I did. Get with TX Hillbilly he has a line on SIII for a great price.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #23

Liked 1299 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
Since i origionally posted this thread ive done quite a bit more research on the subject and now im very heavily considering Sightron (SI III 6-24x50 mill dot). My reasons being that although this will be a long range rifle it will probably never see much beyond 600 yards. And since this is not a full blown 5k dollar rifle i just really have a hard time justifying a 1500 dollar scope on this rifle when an 800 dollar scope will most likely do 93 percent of the job that the expensive ones will do. Everything ive read says the glass is exceptionally clear and the tracking is the best on the market. Its not FFP but ill most likely be shooting known ranges so the mils will be used mostly for lead and holdover in a pinch.

I cant seem to find if they offer the adjustments in mils because i agree that that would greatly simplify things in a pinch and my calculator does give the solution in mils and somthing called IPHA whatever the hell that is.

Plus i cant seem to find a bad review anywhere on the net so thats a plus.
Hot Sauce,You can't go wrong with the Sightron SIII. They are nice quality scopes,excellent clarity,great tracking,alot of adjustment,and a great warranty.

I do wish they offered FFP,and several other reticle choices,but I can live with the SFP and standard mil-dot reticle.

I was skepticle about the Sightron SIII before I got my first one,because nobody carried Sightron scopes in my area,and all I could go on was reports I read in magazines and on the net.
But after I received it,and compared it to my Swarovski Pro Hunter which is a very nice scope,the Sightron SIII was almost as good as the Swarovski in quality,clarity,and ease of adjustment.

I ordered another one for my Savage 10FCP-308,I just wish it would get here,they were backordered.

The prices have gone up.I got the first one from Liberty Optics for around $725,but they want over $800 for it now. Here's a link to the site I ordered my other from- Sightron SIII 6-24 X 50 Black Matte, Mil Dot, SIII624x50LRMD, Rifle Scope: Arcadian Sales

IOR Valdada also makes excellent scopes,and I really like the reticles they offer,and also the 35mm tubes.They really gather the light into them. The Zeiss Conquest is also another great scope,they just don't have much adjustment range,and the Z reticles are just too busy for me. Leupold also makes a good scope,they just need to sell them for $400-500 less than what they want for them.The VXIII LRT is about a $600 scope,and the MK IV is about a $800 scope in my book.

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 05-11-2010 at 02:43 AM.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #24

I have primarily used Leupold, Kahles, Swarovski and NightForce scopes on my top rifles. My newest NF has got to be the clearest scope I have EVER looked through. If those Sightron scopes are clearer than that, I'd get two of them.

Ya'll have my interest... can't wait for the range report on how it performs.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what are your opinions on this one Vortex Optics - Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MRAD Reticle

It seems to have all the features of the high end scopes mentioned above. 30mm tube, zero stop, reticule and adjustments both in mils, etched glass, first focal plane. But at around 900 i cant help but wonder if this is all hype? It says that this scope has approximatly 19mils/65MOA of both elevation and windage adjustment, which is alot better than most any other scope in this price range. It just seems like maybe these havent been out long enough to have been appreciated by longrange/tatical shooters? Is it all marketing on an otherwise crappy scope?

Old 06-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #26

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Hot Sauce - I am interested in that brand as well. We currently have them as a Vendor available to the members here and their stuff is 35% off through ProMotive.

They don't have that scope listed though. Their stuff caps out at the MSRP on scopes around $700.

If you are interested, PM me, it's free to join and it's all discounts....

JD

Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I cant seem to find anyone saying anything bad about them, just....."well you should probably just buy a NXS, Leupold, S&B if you want true quality because its just a better scope", but they really dont provide any basis for such claims. I agree that an S&B or a us optics is probably a much better scope, but who can afford one? The vortex viper has all of the features of the more expensive names, so really the only difference could be the quality of worksmanship/materials, and i cant seem to find any reviews on that.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #28

I would say warranty could be a price difference. Leupold and others have the "no questions asked" warranty. I don't know about Vortex.

Glass quality is always the thing that I come back to when looking at scopes. You either get European Glass or you get Japanese Glass. Both are great, but I give the edge to the old school European stuff. S&B and Zeiss know what they are doing and have been doing it for a long time.

That said, I would like to really try one of these Vortex scopes out myself, because for the money, they have all the features I would want and they won't break the piggy bank.

I do need optics for one of my AR's.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #29

Let's see what they have to say for themselves Hot Sauce. I just sent them an e-mail telling them about us and that several shooters are interested in their products.

I invited them to e-mail me their mission statement or come by and answer questions themselves.

Hopefully I will hear something back by the weekend.

JD

Old 06-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #30

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I know a lot of long range shooters that are starting to use Vortex optics.