Lets talk high end glass - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Lets talk high end glass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
I was planning on spending about 1500 for the scope 20 moa badger base (approx 130) and rings total, so depending on what kind of rings i choose (50-150) i was thinking about spending approximately 1300 on the scope its self.

My second more informed thought was to just wait a while after i get the rifle and save my money for the IOR i really like. With the IOR i wouldnt have to pay for rings, and it has all the things i want in a scope for around 1600.
If thats what you want then get the IOR. Dont buy what you can afford at the time i do this all the time. And it doesn't pay off. I end up spending double the money because i am not happy with how it feels or how it looks.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
I was planning on spending about 1500 for the scope 20 moa badger base (approx 130) and rings total, so depending on what kind of rings i choose (50-150) i was thinking about spending approximately 1300 on the scope its self.

My second more informed thought was to just wait a while after i get the rifle and save my money for the IOR i really like. With the IOR i wouldnt have to pay for rings, and it has all the things i want in a scope for around 1600.
IOR Valdada is making a great scope and they do come with a good set of rings as part of the kit. There is nothing wrong them as a company, or with their product, that I have seen or read.

All told, we have maybe put on 5 in the last 14 to 16 months. They just haven't broken open here yet, but I do personally think they are do.

let us know what you end up going with....

JD

Old 02-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #13

I assume that you are looking at the IOR 6-24x50mm SF Tactical. If so you've made a very good choice. I have one and love it. Optical clarity that allows engaging targets at night with a little residual light (moon and starlight) with the added benefit of being "Soldier Proof".

I also tested a new prototype scope for IOR that they will be releasing to the public later this year in the same power range that is even better in design and function.

Mike McIntyre
VP Operations
MPI Rifles, LLC
www.mpirifles.com

Old 02-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #14

The Mark 4’s are good optics for the money. I have a 6.5-20x50 on a M1A and they make one heck of a combo. The S&B optics are pure gold! Just plan awesome but it’s hard to get them at a “deal” price. I have shot a few rigs with Nightforce optics and I think they are great and just a little more $$$ than the Leupolds.

I would go with a Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40. Best bang for the buck in my humble opinion. As a side note every Leupold Mark 4 that I have had has tracked 100% perfect everytime.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #15

Has anyone seen the greybull precision scope? It looks like it would be good for what you are doing. It is a leupold fx-3 4.5-14x50, they have a custom reticle, and a custom range turret. If you range your target at 8oo yards, you turn your elevation turret to 8, and sqeeze off the shot. But, you have to send them the load you are using in your specific rifle.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #16

Default Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss,

Leica, Kahles and Nightforce rule the roost. Once you have some you'll never go back. (no Leica yet but....)

Not just based on reading others opinions.....

Old 05-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #17

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You say you want a mildot, are you planning on doing any ranging or just for holdover?
The scopes you mentioned are all SFP reticles making ranging much more difficult at intermediate zoom settings. Will you be doing a lot of different distances, running the elevation up and down? Maybe you need to consider a scope with a zero-stop option to avoid mistakes, especially if you want to compete in a match.
IMO 3-15 is plenty to go 1000 yds. 20 or 22x gives a smaller field of view making it harder to find targets without having to constantly run the zoom. Consider for a given objective size (50mm for example) higher zoom means the exit pupil is smaller that can cause low-light performance issues.

I would consider the Nightforce the best of the scopes you mentioned. Better features, optical quality and customer service. They also have less expensive models.
Leupold is resting on their reputations and not the same product or CS they used to have.
I don't have much experience or info on the Ziess products at the price range but I would assume it is good quality (does it have enough elevation adjustment for 1000 yds?).

I can't recommend Burris right now, too many quality and CS issues. I like my Nikons but I think there are better products for your needs. Before either of those I'd look at the Bushnell Elite Tacticals, while I don't have personal experience, I hear good things and they seem like good values.

IOR Valdada was mentioned and is worth looking at, it would be my choice for "best value" in your price range. Solidly built, great features and glass for the price. In the past quality was an issue but that is not a problem lately. Check out the MP8 dot reticle ... good stuff.

How about Vortex? They have been building optics for quite a while and are coming on strong in riflescopes. The PST series might be a good option and will be less than $1k loaded. Jump up to the $2k mark and the Razor HD is a great scope.

Truly "high end" scopes are 2-3 times the price range listed. Hensoldt, Schmidt & Bender, Premier Reticle, US Optics can be purchased starting around $2000 and go up from there, they have the highest quality glass, features and a lifetime warranty (some of the lower priced also offer lifetime) It really depends on what you want/need ... budgets have a funny way of "expanding" when you see the differences..... buy once, cry once
After a lot of comparisons I have a PR Heritage 3-15x50 coming for my LR rifle, I'll be shooting it out to 1000 yds in competition and so for me it was worth the $$ (ok.. the $$$$ )

Midway is good dealer but shop around. Many of the dealers are willing to sell below the listed prices so better deals can be found if you call the right place.

Call Scott at Liberty Optics and tell him what you are looking for he will give you great insight, advice/recomendations and great prices.

I also recommend SWFA

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Last edited by TCH2FLY; 05-09-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling - jeez

Old 05-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #18

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

If you get milled glass get matched milled knobs also. (mill/mill) It makes adjustments much quicker when at the range. Most ballistic calculators will give dope in mills as well as moa.

My scope is a mill/mill configuration. The windage and elevation knobs are set up with 1/10th or 0.1 mill clicks. Now, I will always start out with 100 yard zero. When the "Come Up Sheet" if figured it is in mills. So, for example: With my load at 200 yards my scope adjustment is .04 mill up from 100 yards or 4 clicks up, 0.8 mills up for 300 yards or 8 clicks up, 1.8 mills up for 400 yards or 18 clicks up, etc... out to 1000 yards. The scope I have also has 1/2 or 0.5 mill hash marks on reticle between the mill dots. Makes it much easier for me to make corrections in mills adjustment for the Come Up Sheet. Also I can use the mill dots and 0.5 mill hash marks for hold over points.

TCH2FLY, I have the PR Heritage 5-25X56mm scope. I find that I like the magnification at 17 to 18 power max. When you get your PR scope, aside from the reticle and excellent quality glass, you are going to really like the way the windage and elevation knobs work.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not sure but these links might help you. Of course you can buy them lower than the shown prices if you look hard enough.

Guns and Shooting Online - Recommended Riflescopes
By the Guns and Shooting Online Editorial Staff
Recommended Riflescopes
Five-Star Scopes
* Leupold VX-7
* Schmidt & Bender
* Swarovski PH, PF Series
* Zeiss Victory

Four-Star-Plus Scopes
* Burris Euro Diamond, Black Diamond
* Bushnell Elite 6500
* Leupold VX-3, FX-III
* Nikon Monarch Gold
* Sightron Series III (SIIISS)
* Swarovski AV Series

Four-Star Scopes
* Bushnell Elite 4200
* Burris Signature Select, LaserScope
* Leupold VX-II, FX-II
* Nikon Monarch, Monarch X, Laser IRT
* Sightron Series II (SIIB) Big Sky
* Weaver Grand Slam, T-Series
* Zeiss Conquest

Riflescopes by Price Class
By Chuck Hawks
Riflescopes by Price Class

Premium price class (MSRP over $1000)
Burris Diamond
Kahles Helia
Leupold VX-7
Schmidt & Bender
Swarovski PH, PF, PV
Zeiss Victory

High price class (MSRP $600-$999)
Burris Signature
I.O.R.-Valdada
Kahles American Hunter
Kaps Optics
Leupold VX-L, VX-III, FX-III
Nikko Diamond Sportsman
Nikon Monarch Gold
Pentax Lightseeker, Lightseeker 30
Redfield
Sightron Series III (SIII)
Swarovski AV Series
Trijicon Accupoint
Weaver T Series

Medium-high price class (MSRP $400-$599)
Burris Short Mag
Bushnell Elite 4200
Docter Sports Optics
Leupold VX-II, FX-II
Nikon Monarch
Sightron SII Big Sky (SIIB)
Weaver Grand Slam
Zeiss Conquest

Old 05-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #20

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

I am liking Zeiss offerings thaese days. Welcome to Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.