Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Lets talk high end glass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 02:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lets talk high end glass

So im having a custom 260 rem built on an old rem 700 action.....SHOULD be done before may so when its done ill be ready to buy some quality glass to top it off. It wont be a benchrest rifle.......more of a "tactical" type weapon so i wont be needing a 40x bench rest scope.

My price range is from around a 1000-1500 for the scope. I don't need it to be illuminated, but it has to be a mil-dot reticule. Im not sure where to go in the realm of magnification.......one writer says 15x is the most you will ever need and then the bench rest shooter that is building my rifle has a 60x MARCH on his 223. I think 5x-20x or there abouts should be just fine even at 1k yards?

Here is my first choice: Nightforce NXS Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 5.5-22x 50mm Side Focus Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA but it is a little pricey and im not sure that for my purpose i need to spend 1700 bucks on a scope

second choice;Leupold Mark 4 Long Range Tactical M1 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6.5-20x 50mm Side Focus Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA price is ok but will it do everything the NF will do for 400 less?

I also looked at: Zeiss MC Conquest Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Side Focus Target Turrets Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

What about Burris and Nikkon? do their top of the line scopes even compare?

Questions, Comments, Concerns.................Thanks Blake

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2010, 02:43 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

H.S. - Tactical? Like field use? Drag bag, field creep, going for the Hogs tooth and the whole 9 yards??

Because I would not buy ANY of those scopes if that is your application.

Of the Three, the Leupold is the best "field" scope in my opinion, but it it WAY over priced in this day and age of scopes.

What is your "true" intent for the weapon, and it is a great build from the sounds of things.

JD

Old 02-16-2010, 03:04 AM   #3

Ya i should have been more clear.......no ninja stuff....no hunting anything that shoots back just paper steel and the occasional unlucky coyote. I want to be able to shoot 1k yards with it and other have found that 260 rem is very capable of that.......I want the gun and glass to be capable of hitting a man sized silhouette at 1k every time hopefully better and i don't think that is too much to ask for in a custom rifle. Most of the time i expect my shots to be between 400 and 700 yards at medimum sized pieces of steel. I would also be able to compete in a "sniper challange" competition if i find one close. This scope wont ever be dragged dropped shot at, it most likely wont ever be taken out in the field except to poke the dead coyote i shot from my grandparents porch lol.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:36 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Nikon are great scope I just got one for my new AR ifn it ever gets here. I have the 6-24x50mm Monarch.

I think an 8-32x40mm or slightly larger objective will do you good.

Of the three you listed I would look at the Zeiss the hardest. they are the best quality of the three you listed.

The nikon monarch line are great scopes but I am thinking you need more than that in your application.

Don't rule out IOR or Sightron scopes as well.

There is a guy over on GGVG index that is selling Sightron SIII scopes for a great price.

Sightron has a 10-50x60mm that will out shine anything leupold and nightforce can do and it is only $985 from Larry Scott over on GGVG. He is a great guy and will answer any question you have about any of his products. I have bought from him before and he is a great guy to deal with.

The drawback to the sightron is it comes in fine plex 1/8 and 1/4 dot reticules. I think if you have a click chart and know your rifle you don't need them mill dots. I have seen and looked through both the nightforce and the sightron and it really does blow the nightforce out of the water. the 10-50x will give you a great range of power for many different shooting ranges and it has a side focus for quick and easy focusing in the field.

Sightron Riflescopes / Binoculars / Sighting Scopes product pages. SIII Series - SIII SS 10-50x60 LR TD

GreatScottShooters.com - Supplying the finest accessories available for rifle shooting.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #5

im really looking at the IOR's now i really like the fact that you can go all the way through the elevation range in 2 turns of the knob.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Zeiss Conquest is hard to beat as is the Schmidt & Bender.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

In the world of high end scopes Nightforce and Leupold are on the bottom rung in my eyes.

Now would I put one on a rifle you bet I would if I had a rifle worthy of it I would. They are good high quality scopes. But if you spend just a few bucks more your get a whole lot more.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #8

I do not own any of those scopes. But i hear that the NF is the way to go if you can afford it. I am on a couple other forums that deal with sniper type weapons. And everyone on there say go with the highest thing you can afford. If i could afford it i would go with USO. But there are some good choices below this price range Sightron S3(they have alot of internal adjustment), Nikon as mentioned above, and high end Bushnell scopes.

But if it was me i and i was set on one of these three scopes i would go with the Night Force all day long.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

IOR Valdada is making some good scopes.

Leupold is a fine company and we put those on, probably, 60%-75% of the rifles that leave the shop as a full blown build.

The Mark IV line is vastly overpriced though. You can get almost the same scope, many times, in the Vari-X lines with very small differences and save yourself hundreds of dollars. Leupold's no BS lifetime of the scope guarantee is world class and should be factored into your purchase.

Now, the best scope I have ever handled, shoot and drooled over is the Schmidt & Bender line. I have shot two rifles with their scopes and I have to say, they are really as good as advertised.

If someone opened the doors to Scopes R Us and told me I could have any model from any maker for free, I would beat feet right to the S&B section and never look back.

Having said that, they are probably DOUBLE $$ what you are looking at spending with one of the common names like Leupold or Zeiss and you are probably getting a scope that is 15% or 20% better, overall.

So, how much do you want to spend for what level of quality?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #10

I was planning on spending about 1500 for the scope 20 moa badger base (approx 130) and rings total, so depending on what kind of rings i choose (50-150) i was thinking about spending approximately 1300 on the scope its self.

My second more informed thought was to just wait a while after i get the rifle and save my money for the IOR i really like. With the IOR i wouldnt have to pay for rings, and it has all the things i want in a scope for around 1600.