Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   laser range finders (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/laser-range-finders-34661/)

JonM 11-23-2010 02:32 AM

laser range finders

anyone got a favorite range finder they like?? yes i know how to use my mildots but i would like to add a rangefinder to my gear selection so im looking for opinions on a 1000yd finder that is weather proof and uses common batteries.

im currently looking at the leupold compacts.

M14sRock 11-23-2010 03:47 AM

Hmm.... I have a pair of Leupold binos with the laser RF built in. Convenient, but not optimum. And the Leup RF's are Chinese.

The Leica 1200 is not much more money and is 10x the quality. The 1600 is magical, but may be more than you need. I think you can get the 1200 for around $700 if you look around.

For hunting I like the convenience of the Leup binos. For Long Range shooting I like the Leicas.

JonM 11-23-2010 06:44 PM

thanks i will take a look at the leica stuff. i dont have an issue with foreign made things as long as they work as advertised and are durable.

Dillinger 11-23-2010 06:45 PM

Second the Leica brand.

I have the Leica EDIT: I take that back, I have to check model number and it's awesome as long as there isn't any fog. Doesn't work worth a damn in foggy weather but the rest of the time it works like a champ and it comes in a sort of rubber armor that will protect it in the field. I love it. :D

JonM 11-23-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 390954)
Second the Leica brand.

I have the Leica EDIT: I take that back, I have to check model number and it's awesome as long as there isn't any fog. Doesn't work worth a damn in foggy weather but the rest of the time it works like a champ and it comes in a sort of rubber armor that will protect it in the field. I love it. :D

i dont think any laser works well in fog. it difuses the beam too much. had that issue with military grade laser designator our platoon was issued in the 90's. im pretty sold on the leica 1600 it does exactly what i want in a lightweight compact package.

JonM 11-28-2010 12:57 AM

well i went to the local sports store gander mountain and tested several different brands including leica. i had some trouble getting the leica to lase on various items including actual deer head mounts. i ended up going with a leupold 1000 as it was very user friendly and was the only one that i could get to lase everything i pointed it at. it has a ballistic table that can be tuned to the load you use. the leicas i found you have presets and only 4 choices. the leup displays it in moa drop. it also has a constant on ranging feature that continously lases while most of the others had up to 2 second wait between lases.

i opted for ease of use and ability to set it for what i want. the optics werent quite as clear as some of the others but it is still pretty good. only very minor optical inferiority.

hopefully i find it as useful in the field and end up not regretting it:)

leaving friday for my annual 2 week south texas hunt.

jpattersonnh 11-28-2010 01:25 AM

Here in NH, any electronic optics/ range finders are a no no for hunting. What about your State?

JonM 11-28-2010 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 393069)
Here in NH, any electronic optics/ range finders are a no no for hunting. What about your State?

im not going to use it to range the deer. its intended purpose is hog and coyote. both are free for all where i hunt. deer i dont shoot past 100yds so range isnt an issue. yotes and feral hog can be a looooong way off it will just help on pest control.

M14sRock 11-28-2010 02:23 AM

Sounds like you got the right one Jon. I have a Leupold laser ranging binos and they are awesome. They work alomost half again as far as Leup said they would. I used them all day today and left the Leicas in their case.

JonM 11-28-2010 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 393086)
Sounds like you got the right one Jon. I have a Leupold laser ranging binos and they are awesome. They work alomost half again as far as Leup said they would. I used them all day today and left the Leicas in their case.

thanks i hope so.

electronics and i usually dont get along well so a big seller was me being able to use it less than 5 secs of picking it up. i have trouble making a atm work right. used to spend tons on my desktop computer trying to get games to work. now i just play xbox and i got this cheap laptop at wally world. so the leupold won mostly on the rich features and ease of use.