Lapping Ring Mounts - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

Lapping Ring Mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7966 Times on 4358 Posts
Likes Given: 7696

I brought the tools to lap rings from Brownells many years ago. all of my rings are lapped. I've done dozens for friends. Easy, cheap insurance.

Or at least they did before political correctness
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Lap if you want !!

I have mounted thousands of scopes---YES THOUSANDS and have never even considered "lapping them" ! It's a free world and if you have the time and inclination to do so---HAVE AT IT !!!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #13

Liked 1305 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vearl Brown View Post
I have mounted thousands of scopes---YES THOUSANDS and have never even considered "lapping them" ! It's a free world and if you have the time and inclination to do so---HAVE AT IT !!!!!
Vearl,I'm glad that you have mounted thousands of scopes over the 40 years you were a gunsmith for a "Big Gun Company".
I just wonder how many of those scopes have ring marks or dented main tubes from the rings not being lapped when installed.
I know of no production rifle/action that is perfectly straight after it is heat treated,metal tends to warp from the heat treating.

Everyone has their opinions,but if I'm installing a $1k + optic on a rifle,the rings are getting aligned and lapped at a minimum. Yes,It's a pain in the azz,but it is well worth the time to do it right.
I am glad Burris came out with the Signature Zee rings,because now I don't need to lap any more rings.
North American Hunting Club
People Like This 
Old 06-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Short reply.

Things change--I'm glad for the better. When Burris started making mounts and rings for us it was some of the worse CRAP that I had ever worked with. And when I talked to them about it they said that they were working on it and evereything was going to be OK !!! THEY LIED !!!!
Thats why even today I won't touch Burris products---But then thats ONLY MY OPPINION.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #15

Liked 304 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 180

I thought it was a bunch of crap....then just for the heck of it, I lapped a set and correctly torqued the base and ring screws. It does make a difference weather it be a $1500 scope or a $200 scope. I really hate the process though. The lapping compound is messy and it seemed to end up everywhere I didn't want it. If you are a picky, anal perfectionist who likes to get the most out of your set up, do it!
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

here's the tools that you use to lap scope rings with. read this as it can explain it much better than i could!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/187492/wheeler-engineering-scope-ring-alignment-and-lapping-combo-kit-1-and-30mm
Thanks for the link - $60 isn't too bad if I had more than just one job to do - might get a gun smith or buddy to do it for $35?
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #17

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

If I am using a factory action for a semicustom job you better believe they get aligned and lapped every single time. The only rifles that I haven't had the need to lapp are my full on custom guns. My Panda action is straight as arrow and the rings are as well. We still stuck the alignment bars on them though. To me it is cheap insurance for my $$$$ Optics. Some smiths I know say the low cost scopes (Sub $300) benefit the most from having lapped rings....

I have seen way too many decent scopes get called junk because some yahoo said don't waste your time on lapping the rings. I have seen some Remington, Savage, Winchester, Weatherby and others come from the factory with the holes drilled and tapped off center, out of alignment and even different sized holes. Even seen some without threads. It happens. Guns are mechanical objects made by humans and humans aren't perfect (Unless you work for Vearl Brown's BIG Gun Company) so there are screw ups all the time.
People Like This 
Old 07-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #18

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I prefer to lap my rings. For the 15 ~ 30 minutes it takes to lap them, I'll keep doing it. According to some, I may have wasted upwards of perhaps 5 hours of my life. If that is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I can certainly live with that.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I lap rings if I need to. I feel that if you are in any doubt as to alignment you should check it and do it if needed. Lately I have been using Burris signature Zees with inserts to correct any small issues with alignment. I also use Talley rings on some rifles and I don't usually have to lap them. A really good alignment bar and lapping bar is made by Kokopelli products a worthwhile investment.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I too have wondered this question for a long time and this is what I have come up with. Some will tell you to lapp and some will tell you not to lapp and both opinions have blood sweat and tears as too why.

At this point in my shooting, I have learned to alleviate as many variables as possible so, i tend to purchase nothing that is mass produced with no human or minimal human involvement. I know that there are machines that can take tolerances down to the mil but we still get haggard equipment from the manufactures... If the rings themselves are out of spec or the body tube is out of spec and this causes the rings to over pressure the scope, you can have poi shifts and a loss of windage, elevation etc. The POI is most commonly found when you have a side wheel focus, because over torques rings clamp on the tube and actually change the track dimension that the parallax cam run in. This can cause it to stick and bind up bringing out parrallax and other problems.

What I have found is that when you get into the premium level of rings, you don't have near the problems most of the time. Currently I have Nightforce, Seekins, Badger, MAC, and even Tally rings. I would not Lapp the NF or Seekins as you can mic them to the tube and the tolerance is that tight in all the cases I have checked. Easy test, put your rings on the pic rail and push them forward in the luggs and torque the ring base screws only to specified pressure. Gently drop the scope into the ring bottoms and you should have a little pressure but not enough you have to "Push" the tube down. If the scope slips right in, put your top caps on and see if there is light below and on top of the caps. If not, tighten them to spec and I would be amazed if you have issues.

Mass Produced rings, you can do all this and when you go to drop the scope in the rings, sometime they have alittle to much material requiring you too lapp them. In the 30+ Tac rifles and Long guns I am using, not one set of my rings are lapped and I do shoot beyond 1500 regularly and further more, not one of my scopes has rings marks present. If I had rings that marked the scope, i would toss the rings to be frank. I am no subject matter expert but in my experience, pass on the quantity and purchase the quality from the little guy.

Hope this helps and if I can help out more, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Stay sharp,
CK