Lapping, Aligning and Torquing scope rings - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Lapping, Aligning and Torquing scope rings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
I have checked you out!
Welcome to the Forum

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 AM   #32

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Trust me Tango-you'll be a convert.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Patrick Sperry Likes This 
Old 09-20-2010, 02:50 AM   #33

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post

I have checked you out! A good discussion, but a couple of corrections. First, I'm not a master machinist, I'm self-taught. I do know my way around a lathe and milling machine pretty well, though. I always save my mistakes 'cause there will come a time when I need a piece of stock that size. Next, I'm not a precision match shooter, but I'm death on squirrels with my little Sheridan pellet rifle. I kill about a hundred or so a year. I'm a good shot on game, too. My last 7 shots with my little Ruger #1 in 7x57 has netted seven bucks. Did I mention I'm cheap? A box of ammo can last me a long time. I'm old and grouchy, ask my wife. One thing I hate is junk that you pay good money for that doesn't work the way it's supposed to. It's very hard to get good stuff made in the USA any more. That's sad because the American worker is the most talented in the world and they have always taken pride in what they do and make. American shooters are the most honest friendly and trustworthy folks on the face of the earth. I have take their checks and shipped products to them since 1995 and I've never gotten a bum check. Sometimes I even ship before receivng payment payment if the guy is in a panic (he does have sound right, though). You all need to hear that a lot more often than you do. Give yourselves a well deserved pat on the back because you ARE the nicest, most trustworthy folks walking around this earth. Shooters are the cream of the crop!!
Welcome aboard, John!

And I have a couple of corrections of my own. You are being too modest!

And if you are old and grouchy, you will be in fine company around here.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
Patrick Sperry Likes This 
Old 11-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #34

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default scope rings instructions

Wonderful, excellant! Good orientation and teaching. Thank you for your expertise so graciously given to others. Any advice on cutting a hbar from 24" to 18", .223/5,56cal? Thank you.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #35

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Wonderful, excellant! Good orientation and teaching. Thank you for your expertise so graciously given to others. Any advice on cutting a hbar from 24" to 18", .223/5,56cal? Thank you.
Thanks, Paul.

For the cost of cutting an AR barrel (especially if chrome lined) it would be easier and cheaper to just buy a new barrel and sell the old one. They are quite easy to swap out.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #36

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great post Rock!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-17-2014, 01:33 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 939 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Friend of mine made me a lapping bar out of 1" chrome go-kart axle, turning a 3/8 shaft on the end for a drill.

I mounted the one piece base to the rifle before I start lapping. I was SHOCKED at how far out of true the rings were. Had to make my own lapping compound, which was a bit more aggressive than I wanted, so I took it a bit slow. Checked the progress 3 times until I got the rings to where I wanted them.

Can't wait to get the rifle out and check out the new scope!