Lapping, Aligning and Torquing scope rings - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Lapping, Aligning and Torquing scope rings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks M14's. Excellent information and well explained. This should be a stickie.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Excellent post/tutorial. Thanks!

For those who want to do it w/o the expense, a descent solid, a little undersized rod (wood, plastic, aluminum, etc.) wrapped in 240 grit sandpaper will do. NOT as good but will work in a pinch and is better than nothing, esp. if you only need to do it once or twice.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Excellent post/tutorial. Thanks!

For those who want to do it w/o the expense, a descent solid, a little undersized rod (wood, plastic, aluminum, etc.) wrapped in 240 grit sandpaper will do. NOT as good but will work in a pinch and is better than nothing, esp. if you only need to do it once or twice.
That would remove the "precision" aspect of it. Even 600 grit wet/dry would be too rough, and the sharp edges and high spots on the ring surface would shred the sandpaper.

I like the "outside the box" thinking, though.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
That would remove the "precision" aspect of it. Even 600 grit wet/dry would be too rough, and the sharp edges and high spots on the ring surface would shred the sandpaper.

I like the "outside the box" thinking, though.
My take and understanding, the lapping is to minimize the mis-alignment of the mount so it will not damage (bend or crush) the scope. The precision part should be taken cared by the scope itself not the lapping.

The high spot will NOT shred the sandpaper if you use a good quality one and know how to sand directionally/properly.

JMHO.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #15

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Well that's just friggin great! Now i need to go out and buy more firearms tools. Faneffingtastic!

thanks M14's, that was a really informative post and very helpful

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 09-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #16

Quote:
My take and understanding, the lapping is to minimize the mis-alignment of the mount so it will not damage (bend or crush) the scope. The precision part should be taken cared by the scope itself not the lapping.

The high spot will NOT shred the sandpaper if you use a good quality one and know how to sand directionally/properly.

JMHO.
Three aspects of proper scope mounting are accomplished in this process.

1.) The actual Alignment of the rings. This keeps torsional force from being applied to the scope tube. The scope tube will not align the rings.

2.) The Lapping of the rings. This ensures an even bearing surface is applied to the scope tube. No high spots. No ridges. No undue stress on the scope tube.

3.) The proper torque. This makes sure all the screws are evenly tightened. It keeps the screws from shearing off, or coming loose. It also keeps the rings from "crushing" the scope tube.

Any external pressure applied to the scope tube will affect the clarity, accuracy and operation of the scope.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Well that's just friggin great! Now i need to go out and buy more firearms tools. Faneffingtastic!

thanks M14's, that was a really informative post and very helpful
Yep. If you keep reading my posts I will gt you to spend lots of money. Hahaha.....

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 09-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Three aspects of proper scope mounting are accomplished in this process.

1.) The actual Alignment of the rings. This keeps torsional force from being applied to the scope tube. The scope tube will not align the rings.

2.) The Lapping of the rings. This ensures an even bearing surface is applied to the scope tube. No high spots. No ridges. No undue stress on the scope tube.

3.) The proper torque. This makes sure all the screws are evenly tightened. It keeps the screws from shearing off, or coming loose. It also keeps the rings from "crushing" the scope tube.

Any external pressure applied to the scope tube will affect the clarity, accuracy and operation of the scope.
I am with you on all 3...none of them discount the use of the cheaper lap version though. Again I am not saying it will work as nice but will help anyone who cannot afford the best.

Bottom line, as long as you understand the concept/reasoning for the process you can easily adapt a rudimentary version that will help.

On the last sentence, ALL mounts will exert external pressure to the scope tube. It is the uneven torsional or crushing pressure that you want to reduce or eliminate. Some scope perform better than others too. Weaver, because of their design excel in this than other as far as I (minimally) know.

Again, you tutorial is excellent just informing others that similar end result can be attained with some ingenuity and elbow grease.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #19

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

Again, you tutorial is excellent just informing others that similar end result can be attained with some ingenuity and elbow grease.
Having seen and used the OP's Kokopelli lapping bars, I can tell you that there is NO WAY a wooden dowel and some sandpaper will do nearly as good a job. Simple physics. I trust the metal because it is hard and precisely ground; wood is not.

I have used a 1-inch oak dowel to line up the dovetail base rings I mentioned in an earlier post. Passable, but not near the precision of using a tool that was designed for the purpose.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How many times do I have to repeat, it will not be the same but will reach an acceptable tolerance so as not to damage the scope tube. The rest (specifically the precision part) can be taken cared by the scope.

I am sorry, I think my message is totally being misunderstood. I am bowing out of this thread.