I've heard some good things about this scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > I've heard some good things about this scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default I've heard some good things about this scope

Now I know you guys normally don't like anything unless it's NcStar or a Tasco, but I saw Leatherwood Hi-Lux scope and saw it had good reviews. Do any of you have any experience with this one. Other than this particular scope I have never heard of this brand. It has some good features/ideas and a great price tag.

I would like to throw it on my AR with a 16" bull barrel. Or if you guys have a suggestion for my AR that is not a $700 Leupold.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

What are you going to want to do with your AR? Varmint hunting, CQB, SHTF gun, plinker.

For a Varmint gun I would go Nikon Monarch 5-20x50mm, 6-24x50mm, or a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40mm.

If you are going to be doing close in stuff like mall ninja house clearing then a halo or red dot sight like the aimpoint Micro H-1.

If it is a SHTF gun that is going to serve as a defensive weapon and a food getter a lower power variable like a 2-7x or 3-9x.

If it is just a plinker put what ever you want on her.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #3

This AR is my 100+ yard plinker/squirrel gun. I am ditching a red dot that is on it, because to me a red dot does the same as iron sights and the batteries don't go dead.

My mall ninja days are over, if I am clearing a barbie doll house in search of red beard then I usually use one of my shotties. Same thing with CQB.

Thanks Tango

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check this out:

Quality optics and accessories from Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and more!

Tango turned me on to them. Great selection, really nice people, and fast delivery on reconditioned and pre-owned optics.

I got a Nikon Monarch scope, much like Tango described, for $439 (originally about $800)....and it's perfect.

Just got a Nikon spotting scope from them a couple days ago. Ordered it one day and got it the next. Of course, I'm in Texas and so are they, so that helps.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #5

I say go for it. It looks like a good scope and if you buy from midway. And it don't work send it back.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

JUNK ! JUNK ! JUNK !if ya don't believe that just go ahead and buy it. Experience is what we gain while we are screwing up. Yea, I know I only have (2) post on this forum, but life has taught me to keep my mouth shut, and my ears open.

Last edited by swampcrawler; 02-27-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How about a $ 200 Leupold. I have picked up several 3 x 9 VarX11 for that or alittle less. It is the scope that most of my varmint rifles wear. It is the scope on the AR that I carry coyote hunting. I think it`s been about 6 yrs. now, and every coyote I`ve shot at the scope has been set on 3X. That`s because I`m always shooting at running dogs. Hit some gun shows and don`t worry about the old friction adjustments on the older ones, I`ve used them for over 30 years with no problems.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 03-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcrawler View Post
JUNK ! JUNK ! JUNK !if ya don't believe that just go ahead and buy it. Experience is what we gain while we are screwing up. Yea, I know I only have (2) post on this forum, but life has taught me to keep my mouth shut, and my ears open.
WTF is this all about? Dude you need to calm down and take some meds before you blow an O ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
How about a $ 200 Leupold. I have picked up several 3 x 9 VarX11 for that or alittle less. It is the scope that most of my varmint rifles wear. It is the scope on the AR that I carry coyote hunting. I think it`s been about 6 yrs. now, and every coyote I`ve shot at the scope has been set on 3X. That`s because I`m always shooting at running dogs. Hit some gun shows and don`t worry about the old friction adjustments on the older ones, I`ve used them for over 30 years with no problems.
Thanks for the advice, I'll check into those. Like I said this will be a pretty short range deal, so you're right a 3x would be fine.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DarinCraft; 03-09-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #9

Default I love my Trijicon Acog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Now I know you guys normally don't like anything unless it's NcStar or a Tasco, but I saw Leatherwood Hi-Lux scope and saw it had good reviews. Do any of you have any experience with this one. Other than this particular scope I have never heard of this brand. It has some good features/ideas and a great price tag.

I would like to throw it on my AR with a 16" bull barrel. Or if you guys have a suggestion for my AR that is not a $700 Leupold.
I love my new Trijicon ACOG

Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob072770 View Post
I love my new Trijicon ACOG
Oh well yeah that falls into the less than $700 group....hahahaha
Thomas Jefferson