Issue with a scope - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Issue with a scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If that were my situation (and I have had the same exact thing happen) I would remove the scope, leave just the bottom half of the rings in place, and find a piece of 1" wood dowel to lay across the ring halves. Carefully rotate the dowel and see what gaps appear. Get a piece of 300 to 600 grit wet-dry sand paper, wrap it around the dowel and lightly drag it across the ring halves. Look to see if the scratches are even. If there is a high spot, sand back and forth with the dowel/sand paper till you get even bright metal base. I like to place the rifle in a vise and level the rail in both directions, then check the ring base halves for level to see if there is a discrepancy. With the gun still in the vise and level, lay the scope on the rings and add the top half of the rings and screws. Only lightly tighten. Place the level across the top turret and check for level. If you don't have access to a bore sighter, you can either remove the bolt and sight on something thru the barrel (at 50 yards) Check the cross hairs to see where they hit (remember to approximately center the adjustment range of both elevation and windage to "center". You can rotate from one extreme to the other and approximate center. Then adjust elevation a little (10 clicks or so) then windage. Back to elevation, etc. Usually if windage is really close, but elevation is way off (low or high) then the mount isn't leveled to the gun. Admittedly there are danged few spots on the receiver to check level in the vise, but the rail works. Be sure cross hairs are exactly square with the setup before tightening the screws. Oh, and when tightening the ring screws, don't tighten one, then move on to the next. On 4 screw rings, I snug all 4 screws till the rings just barely feel snug, then turn each screw in turn one half to one turn in rotation around all 8 screws. The idea is to avoid warping the glass inside the scope that has the reticle engraved on it. Scopes are quite sensitive to physical distortion. If after all this you still can't get POA=POI, then there is a gun problem (barrel not in the receiver correctly. It's rare, but could happen. I'd look at scope leveling first. Good luck. There are lots of Youtube's on the subject if you do a search.

Ruger LC9 carry
Springfield XD(m) 5.25 9mm
Springfield XD(m) 3.8" 9mm compact
S&W M&P 22
S&W M&P 9
Various black powder and collector guns

Old 06-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfrid View Post
If that were my situation (and I have had the same exact thing happen) I would remove the scope, leave just the bottom half of the rings in place, and find a piece of 1" wood dowel to lay across the ring halves. Carefully rotate the dowel and see what gaps appear. Get a piece of 300 to 600 grit wet-dry sand paper, wrap it around the dowel and lightly drag it across the ring halves. Look to see if the scratches are even. If there is a high spot, sand back and forth with the dowel/sand paper till you get even bright metal base. I like to place the rifle in a vise and level the rail in both directions, then check the ring base halves for level to see if there is a discrepancy. With the gun still in the vise and level, lay the scope on the rings and add the top half of the rings and screws. Only lightly tighten. Place the level across the top turret and check for level. If you don't have access to a bore sighter, you can either remove the bolt and sight on something thru the barrel (at 50 yards) Check the cross hairs to see where they hit (remember to approximately center the adjustment range of both elevation and windage to "center". You can rotate from one extreme to the other and approximate center. Then adjust elevation a little (10 clicks or so) then windage. Back to elevation, etc. Usually if windage is really close, but elevation is way off (low or high) then the mount isn't leveled to the gun. Admittedly there are danged few spots on the receiver to check level in the vise, but the rail works. Be sure cross hairs are exactly square with the setup before tightening the screws. Oh, and when tightening the ring screws, don't tighten one, then move on to the next. On 4 screw rings, I snug all 4 screws till the rings just barely feel snug, then turn each screw in turn one half to one turn in rotation around all 8 screws. The idea is to avoid warping the glass inside the scope that has the reticle engraved on it. Scopes are quite sensitive to physical distortion. If after all this you still can't get POA=POI, then there is a gun problem (barrel not in the receiver correctly. It's rare, but could happen. I'd look at scope leveling first. Good luck. There are lots of Youtube's on the subject if you do a search.
thank you very much, I will try all of that. Too bad its going to be about 2 weeks till I can get back to the range. I don't think there is a problem with the gun. The gun shot consistently, it was making dime sized groups, it just wasn't hitting where the scope cross hairs were.

Why carry? I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

Last edited by JackofTrades; 06-12-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well here is an update. I took the scope off my gun. I put the gun in a vice and made sure the barrel was level. Then I put the scope rings on and made sure they were level and centered. I then took 1" in diameter wooden dowel and set that on the scope rings and made sure it was level and aligned. Finally I took the scope and set that into the rings, and too my wonderful surprise the scope was then touching the barrel. In other words the scope rings are too short and before one of the rings must not have been level because it was offsetting the entire thing, because before the scope wasn't touching the barrel. Currently I have millett 1" high scope rings. If any of you could help me get some new ones. I don't know if scope rings are different between manufacturers where one manufacturer's high scope rings are higher than a different ones high scope rings, or if I just need to get extra high scope rings. My scope for reference is Hawke 4-12x50 with 1" tube.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #14

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofTrades
Well here is an update. I took the scope off my gun. I put the gun in a vice and made sure the barrel was level. Then I put the scope rings on and made sure they were level and centered. I then took 1" in diameter wooden dowel and set that on the scope rings and made sure it was level and aligned. Finally I took the scope and set that into the rings, and too my wonderful surprise the scope was then touching the barrel. In other words the scope rings are too short and before one of the rings must not have been level because it was offsetting the entire thing, because before the scope wasn't touching the barrel. Currently I have millett 1" high scope rings. If any of you could help me get some new ones. I don't know if scope rings are different between manufacturers where one manufacturer's high scope rings are higher than a different ones high scope rings, or if I just need to get extra high scope rings. My scope for reference is Hawke 4-12x50 with 1" tube.
My sav 93/17 i had to use extra high rings as well i used leupolds, work great, look good an clwar the 50mm scope

Old 06-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
My sav 93/17 i had to use extra high rings as well i used leupolds, work great, look good an clwar the 50mm scope
On your gun, about how far is the objective lens from the barrel with the extra highs?

Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #16

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofTrades

On your gun, about how far is the objective lens from the barrel with the extra highs?
Im guessin 1/16'' or real close to that

Old 06-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #17

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm glad to see you took my advice on a good practical precision rifle. That rifle really will get you started in shooting tight groups. But I am sad to hear you are having problems with it. Maybe you could take it back up to the shop that told you they mounted it correctly and show them. It may or may not help you but it never hurts to try.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxuser3890 View Post
I'm glad to see you took my advice on a good practical precision rifle. That rifle really will get you started in shooting tight groups. But I am sad to hear you are having problems with it. Maybe you could take it back up to the shop that told you they mounted it correctly and show them. It may or may not help you but it never hurts to try.
Thank you for the recommendation for that gun, I love the gun. Its really comfortable. Even with the scope not mounted correctly I was still shooting dimes on the target, just not where the crosshairs were. They didn't mount the gun, that was me, but when I asked them if it was mounted correctly, they said it looked correct. I might have someone try and mount it for me, but I will still need to get some extra high rings instead of highs because the highs just just barley too short.