Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Issue with a scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Issue with a scope

I just bought a new savage 93r17 in .17 HMR and I got this scope as well. I brought it to the range today to zero the scope, but when it came to getting the elevation I couldn't get it to adjust anymore. It was shooting about 2 inches low at 50 yds. The elevation was maxed out. After I was done shooting I talked to the people at the store and they told me that I had it mounted correctly. Does anyone know why this scope would be shooting low?

Why carry? I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The scope could have been dropped and knocked out of alignment. Or, someone was messing with it and stripped the gears.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
The scope could have been dropped and knocked out of alignment. Or, someone was messing with it and stripped the gears.
It's brand new, just got it today.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You can try getting lower mounts or shimming the rear scope ring a bit.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
You can try getting lower mounts or shimming the rear scope ring a bit.
I have the lowest mounts possible, my objective lense is about a mm or 2mm away from the barrel. The guy at the range did suggest shimming it, but really, a scope that is meant to be used anywhere between 10 yds and 200yds, that can't even zero at 50, it just doesn't seem like shimming should be the answer.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

First, check the scope mounts. is there a front and rear mount that may be reversed? Is the space on the ring gap equal left/right? Are the rings fully seated on the mount? If the answer to all is yes, then you may have a defective scope.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
First, check the scope mounts. is there a front and rear mount that may be reversed? Is the space on the ring gap equal left/right? Are the rings fully seated on the mount? If the answer to all is yes, then you may have a defective scope.
The mounts appear to be exactly the same. Now the ring gap was a little bit unequal on right on the front mount. And the rings seem to be fully seated on the mounts.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't want to assume anything, but there is a lot more to properly mounting a scope than "plopping" it in the rings and tightening the screws. A good gunsmith typically uses a special kit that "beds" the scope after grinding the rings smooth. I have a kit like that and it takes a while to do correctly. Then you need to adjust both windage and elevation to their approx midpoints. You can't just dial in one then the other. When you turn one, it has some effect on the other. I use a bore sighter to get approx point of SIMM = point of impact, then take to range. You should be on the paper at this point. Adjust elevation and windage together a little at a time. Also the AO (if you have one on your sight) doesn't have much affect on point of impact - only clarity of the target. My 93 shoots minute angle at 100 yards (22 mag) so I know it can be done without shims. Hope I didn't insult your knowledge or abilities.

Ruger LC9 carry
Springfield XD(m) 5.25 9mm
Springfield XD(m) 3.8" 9mm compact
S&W M&P 22
S&W M&P 9
Various black powder and collector guns

Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfrid
I don't want to assume anything, but there is a lot more to properly mounting a scope than "plopping" it in the rings and tightening the screws. A good gunsmith typically uses a special kit that "beds" the scope after grinding the rings smooth. I have a kit like that and it takes a while to do correctly. Then you need to adjust both windage and elevation to their approx midpoints. You can't just dial in one then the other. When you turn one, it has some effect on the other. I use a bore sighter to get approx point of SIMM = point of impact, then take to range. You should be on the paper at this point. Adjust elevation and windage together a little at a time. Also the AO (if you have one on your sight) doesn't have much affect on point of impact - only clarity of the target. My 93 shoots minute angle at 100 yards (22 mag) so I know it can be done without shims. Hope I didn't insult your knowledge or abilities.
Should be Point of Aim =
Ruger LC9 carry
Springfield XD(m) 5.25 9mm
Springfield XD(m) 3.8" 9mm compact
S&W M&P 22
S&W M&P 9
Various black powder and collector guns

Old 06-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfrid View Post
Youre not insulting me, scopes are new to me. How much of an effect does adjusting one then the other have, because I know when I was zeroing that I adjusted the elevation first, and is there a way to actually correct this?

Last edited by JackofTrades; 06-12-2012 at 03:18 AM.