ior valdada variable question.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > ior valdada variable question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default ior valdada variable question.

Hi guys, I recently bought a fcp-sr savage 308. I've norrowed 2 scopes down that I think suit my needs. I want to be able to be ou close to 1000 yards. Ffp is a must for me which is what kinda put me off the nightforce line as the f1 was unnafordable. Long story short will the 2.5-10 get me out to 1000 or should I spend the extra couple bucks for the 3.5-18?
Thanks guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Any takers?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1179 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 568

What's your budget?
IOR makes a quality optic,but most are as much or more than a Nightforce depending on the model. There are several other FFP scopes that will serve you well also,Sightron SIII now comes in FFP,as does the Vortex Viper PST,SWFA Super Sniper,and the Weaver Tactical series that will save you some coin.

Without stepping into the upper limit scopes,the Nightforce is the best of the bunch.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 10-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
What's your budget?
IOR makes a quality optic,but most are as much or more than a Nightforce depending on the model. There are several other FFP scopes that will serve you well also,Sightron SIII now comes in FFP,as does the Vortex Viper PST,SWFA Super Sniper,and the Weaver Tactical series that will save you some coin.

Without stepping into the upper limit scopes,the Nightforce is the best of the bunch.
Ffp is a must for me so that puts the nf f1 outa my ball park, I'd like to keep it around 1000 but I don't mind bumping up a couple hundred bucks. My big question is will 10x be sufficient for 1000 yard shooting or should I go for a higherr mag?

Old 10-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1179 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Why is FFP so important for you?
I have/use both First and Second focal plane scopes,and each has it's own +/-'s. If your needing to range targets,then FFP is easier to use,but can also interfere since the reticle can also cover up your target at longer distances.
If you will be shooting at known distances mostly-Target shooting,a SFP scope will work just as well as a FFP,and they are easy to range with when you learn what value the mil-dots are at whatever magnification you are using. Making a range card for the value's is pretty simple,and a lot cheaper for most.

All of the scopes I listed in the other post come in FFP reticles,and a couple can be had in SFP.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 10-20-2013, 02:49 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessguy01 View Post
Ffp is a must for me so that puts the nf f1 outa my ball park, I'd like to keep it around 1000 but I don't mind bumping up a couple hundred bucks. My big question is will 10x be sufficient for 1000 yard shooting or should I go for a higherr mag?
10x with a nice clear scope like IOR is probably OK but I would suggest the 18x is better suited to the task.
My 1000 yd rifle wears a 15x and it very usable but there are days a bit more would be nice.
Many of my LR shooting friends have gone to 25x but they stretch out past 1000 more than I do.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 10-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Why is FFP so important for you?
I have/use both First and Second focal plane scopes,and each has it's own +/-'s. If your needing to range targets,then FFP is easier to use,but can also interfere since the reticle can also cover up your target at longer distances.
If you will be shooting at known distances mostly-Target shooting,a SFP scope will work just as well as a FFP,and they are easy to range with when you learn what value the mil-dots are at whatever magnification you are using. Making a range card for the value's is pretty simple,and a lot cheaper for most.

All of the scopes I listed in the other post come in FFP reticles,and a couple can be had in SFP.
I won't be shooting at fixed distances that often and would prefer the versatility of having accurate mil reticle at any mag without having to do look up charts

Old 10-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post

10x with a nice clear scope like IOR is probably OK but I would suggest the 18x is better suited to the task.
My 1000 yd rifle wears a 15x and it very usable but there are days a bit more would be nice.
Many of my LR shooting friends have gone to 25x but they stretch out past 1000 more than I do.
Thanks for the feedback, another week or 2 won't kill me. Buy once cry once

Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just ordered a 4-16x50 ffp valdada. Thanks for all the help guys much appreciated!