Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   ior valdada variable question. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/ior-valdada-variable-question-98873/)

homelessguy01 10-15-2013 12:25 PM

ior valdada variable question.

Hi guys, I recently bought a fcp-sr savage 308. I've norrowed 2 scopes down that I think suit my needs. I want to be able to be ou close to 1000 yards. Ffp is a must for me which is what kinda put me off the nightforce line as the f1 was unnafordable. Long story short will the 2.5-10 get me out to 1000 or should I spend the extra couple bucks for the 3.5-18?
Thanks guys

homelessguy01 10-17-2013 06:41 PM

Any takers?

Txhillbilly 10-18-2013 03:28 AM

What's your budget?
IOR makes a quality optic,but most are as much or more than a Nightforce depending on the model. There are several other FFP scopes that will serve you well also,Sightron SIII now comes in FFP,as does the Vortex Viper PST,SWFA Super Sniper,and the Weaver Tactical series that will save you some coin.

Without stepping into the upper limit scopes,the Nightforce is the best of the bunch.

homelessguy01 10-18-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 1405054)
What's your budget?
IOR makes a quality optic,but most are as much or more than a Nightforce depending on the model. There are several other FFP scopes that will serve you well also,Sightron SIII now comes in FFP,as does the Vortex Viper PST,SWFA Super Sniper,and the Weaver Tactical series that will save you some coin.

Without stepping into the upper limit scopes,the Nightforce is the best of the bunch.

Ffp is a must for me so that puts the nf f1 outa my ball park, I'd like to keep it around 1000 but I don't mind bumping up a couple hundred bucks. My big question is will 10x be sufficient for 1000 yard shooting or should I go for a higherr mag?

Txhillbilly 10-19-2013 01:37 AM

Why is FFP so important for you?
I have/use both First and Second focal plane scopes,and each has it's own +/-'s. If your needing to range targets,then FFP is easier to use,but can also interfere since the reticle can also cover up your target at longer distances.
If you will be shooting at known distances mostly-Target shooting,a SFP scope will work just as well as a FFP,and they are easy to range with when you learn what value the mil-dots are at whatever magnification you are using. Making a range card for the value's is pretty simple,and a lot cheaper for most.

All of the scopes I listed in the other post come in FFP reticles,and a couple can be had in SFP.

TCH2FLY 10-20-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homelessguy01 (Post 1405310)
Ffp is a must for me so that puts the nf f1 outa my ball park, I'd like to keep it around 1000 but I don't mind bumping up a couple hundred bucks. My big question is will 10x be sufficient for 1000 yard shooting or should I go for a higherr mag?

10x with a nice clear scope like IOR is probably OK but I would suggest the 18x is better suited to the task.
My 1000 yd rifle wears a 15x and it very usable but there are days a bit more would be nice.
Many of my LR shooting friends have gone to 25x but they stretch out past 1000 more than I do.

homelessguy01 10-21-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 1405927)
Why is FFP so important for you?
I have/use both First and Second focal plane scopes,and each has it's own +/-'s. If your needing to range targets,then FFP is easier to use,but can also interfere since the reticle can also cover up your target at longer distances.
If you will be shooting at known distances mostly-Target shooting,a SFP scope will work just as well as a FFP,and they are easy to range with when you learn what value the mil-dots are at whatever magnification you are using. Making a range card for the value's is pretty simple,and a lot cheaper for most.

All of the scopes I listed in the other post come in FFP reticles,and a couple can be had in SFP.

I won't be shooting at fixed distances that often and would prefer the versatility of having accurate mil reticle at any mag without having to do look up charts

homelessguy01 10-21-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCH2FLY (Post 1407110)

10x with a nice clear scope like IOR is probably OK but I would suggest the 18x is better suited to the task.
My 1000 yd rifle wears a 15x and it very usable but there are days a bit more would be nice.
Many of my LR shooting friends have gone to 25x but they stretch out past 1000 more than I do.

Thanks for the feedback, another week or 2 won't kill me. Buy once cry once

homelessguy01 10-24-2013 02:41 AM

Just ordered a 4-16x50 ffp valdada. Thanks for all the help guys much appreciated!