Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > infared laser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default infared laser

Does anyone know if it is legal to get an infared laser to mount on an assualt rifle? and if it is where I can get one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdowney View Post
Does anyone know if it is legal to get an infared laser to mount on an assualt rifle? and if it is where I can get one?

LaserMax makes a ForeGrip laser, The Colt CLG is made for Colt Defense. It fits AR-15, M-4 & PDW. LaserMax also makes rail mount lasers in red and green with several accessories. Check with your local gun shop first. They are legal for civilians in most states. They are legal in Missouri. Suppressors are now legal in Missouri to civilians with a Federal C&R Licence, $30.00.

Last edited by sigp250; 04-02-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you really talking about an INFRARED laser? (I.E. not visible to the human eye) From my quick research, they typically consist of a long (1-3 meters) waveguide filled with gaseous organic molecules, optically pumped or via HV discharge. They are highly inefficient, often require helium cooling, high magnetic fields, and/or are only line tunable. Don't think they're available in any size smaller than a Buick...
What, if I may ask, were you wanting to do with it?

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 04-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
Are you really talking about an INFRARED laser? (I.E. not visible to the human eye) From my quick research, they typically consist of a long (1-3 meters) waveguide filled with gaseous organic molecules, optically pumped or via HV discharge. They are highly inefficient, often require helium cooling, high magnetic fields, and/or are only line tunable. Don't think they're available in any size smaller than a Buick...
What, if I may ask, were you wanting to do with it?

There are some pretty cool multi-purpose aiming reflex sight with red dot reticle & infrared laser pointers. They are made by BeamShot, Surefire, Fraser-Volpe and a few others. The cost is under $1,000. Unfortuneatly, they can only be sold to military and law enforcement. For most types you also need night vision equipment in order to see the beam. Attaced are a couple pictures.

bs6000a_02.jpg wrfvmarsir.jpg

Old 04-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #5

Yep that is what I am looking for the military version that need night vision to be seen. I have seen surfires but like you said military only sales I am looking for a place to buy one as a civilian.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Infared is not allowed for sale in this country to the civilian buying public. Sadly.

Now, if you have your paperwork in order and are allowed to purchase this hardware, then I would submit you don't need a "civilian" sales outfit ( as none probably exist above board ).

I would suggest you do some serious research about the laws concerning the owning of Class III and "restricted" firearms and equipment in your area before going any further.

And/or just posting on the Interwebz.

JD

Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #7

I was afraid that it would be illegal in this country. Oh well now I will just have to wait for the Gen 4 PS22 to come out.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

One of those would be so cool to hunt yotes or coons if my state allowed sights that emit a beam of light.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-03-2010, 02:13 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdowney View Post
I was afraid that it would be illegal in this country. Oh well now I will just have to wait for the Gen 4 PS22 to come out.
This is another example of a laser for military use only. LLM01 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
I believe a class III Federal firearms license would not work since the laser itself is not regulated by BATFE.
The maximum laser power for civilian use is C5 mW (I think) and is regulated by the FCC. There are some visible lasers that exceed this power limit and can not be sold for civilian use. All inferred diode lasers exceed this power limit.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:32 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

An EDFA ( Erbium-Doped Fiber Amplifier ) can be tuned to bump high level intensity light beyond the C5mw listed if you short stack them, which causes a ton of distortion.

The real problem with infared is that you can't see it with the human eye.

Police Agencies aren't equipped with Infared Night/Day Vision to be able to detect. It's too damn expensive.

Mayors, high profile public figures, high value businessmen/women who are in public after making unpopular decisions.

Now, extrapolate this out.

Anyone with a vendetta could very easily cause a lot of damage with a little planning.

We have seen that people that pull out a gun might get off a couple of rounds and they might hit someone, but rarely are they successful with hitting the target they want.

Give an idiot a form of laser that is zero'd and one that only they can see??

It's a Demented Mall Ninja's Wet Dream.