Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > inexpensive optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

"They will pick up a air gun scope to put on there .22 & start bitching when it breaks.
They need to realize that air guns recoil forward not backward like all firearms, that recoil going the wrong direction will tear a scope apart.
I had a buddy buy a .22 scope & put it on his high power air rifle & didn't understand why it fell apart."
A good air rifle scope is built a lot tougher than a rim fire scope and are usually rated for both. I use them on 22lr and have never had a problem. They are especially good on semi auto rim fires. You are right about not using a rim fire scope or a center fire scope on a spring air rifle. Compressed air rifles are different animal though and dont have the same recoil as the spring air guns. Semi auto center fire rifles are also hard on scopes. The semi autos have the extra shock of the bolt slamming into battery. I have broken a couple of cheaper ones on my AR and now use a scope that was designed for the AR. I never buy a regular scope that does not have a lifetime warranty. If the mfg does not think it is capable of holding up, neither do I.
Because of the electronics a lot of red dot scopes dont have lifetime warranties. One of the best inexpensive red dots I have found is the Bushnell TRS25. 3000 hr battery life and a 3 moa dot.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyv98 View Post
Ive looked at aimpoint, eotech and other high end optics and for over $350. My tru glo offers same features as aimpoint and it only cost $40 ive shot over a 1000 rounds on my AR and its still spot on.

Attachment 55458
I think you had better recheck your features , 5 moa dot vs a 2 moa dot, 3 years of constant on with the aimpoint , the tru glow will not do that . maybe 30 days at most , aimpoint water proof to 150 ft , tru glow ?? but Im guessing very little if any submerging at all . Night vision mode . Aimpoint yes, tru glo no,
adjustments of aimpoint 1/2" click vs tru glo 1" clicks . Parallax is very different .
I dont own either of these but you cannot cannot say that it offers the same features , cheaper yes, works yes, but to try to comare it to a high end RDS , No way
Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I've owned a dozen or more cheap optics over the years.

Bitterly regretted wasting my money on every single one of them.

Old Italian proverb: "Cheapa U buy, cheapa U get."
Totally agree

Help support your local AR15 addict. BUY ME AMMO!

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I like Nikon Buckmaster scopes for a magnified optic. I had an IOR 4.5X14 once spent big money for it. Yes it was an awesome scope. Glass was super clear the MP8 reticle was awesome too. But when i compared it to the Nikon I couldn't justify not selling it and buying another Nikon and ammo. For a red dot i have Aimpoints. I have BSA's crap out on me too many times.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualspringfields View Post
I like Nikon Buckmaster scopes for a magnified optic. I had an IOR 4.5X14 once spent big money for it. Yes it was an awesome scope. Glass was super clear the MP8 reticle was awesome too. But when i compared it to the Nikon I couldn't justify not selling it and buying another Nikon and ammo. For a red dot i have Aimpoints. I have BSA's crap out on me too many times.
I dont have super high end scopes , but I have what I consider them adequate for my usage.
A schmidt and bender or a night force scope is out of my price range for my needs . I have a damn nice Nikon African 1-4 thats super super clear and works perfect for my needs , vortex red dots that are perfect for my needs , dont get me wrong I would love to have a aimpoint but I dont need a optic thats waterproof to 150 ft depth , the vortex is WP to 50 ft and if its in 50 ft depth of water Its probably going to be gone forever if you know what I mean , hell we dont even have many places around here deeper than 20 ft . lol , I have a older Bushnell Trophy 3-9 thats been abused on alot on different guns and it still holds zero and for what it costed its way over built compared to the new trophy XLT's . My bolt gun has a decent mil dot Bushnell banner on it , its not as clear as my Nikon or the Trophy but it works for my needs as I only get it out for long distance fun with the guys and coyote hunting a few times a yr . Every single one of these have great reviews and a lifetime warranty which I hope I never need . Get what you can afford that give you the best warranty you can get . Just because it looks cool on the gun doesnt make it function any better especially if you buy some china made POS that peters out in a couple weeks and you realized you just pissed away that money

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-08-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That's what i was saying about the IOR scope. Was it nice? Yes very nice. But for my needs the Nikon was just as good. And a hell of a lot cheaper.:-) Vortex makes good stuff too. I have a friend that has one of their red dot optics and its good to go. The reason I myself went with Aimpoints was the battery life and ruggedness. The battery life is unreal. Yes they cost more and i had to save up for them. Neither are their top models one is a C3 and the other is the PRO.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualspringfields View Post
That's what i was saying about the IOR scope. Was it nice? Yes very nice. But for my needs the Nikon was just as good. And a hell of a lot cheaper.:-) Vortex makes good stuff too. I have a friend that has one of their red dot optics and its good to go. The reason I myself went with Aimpoints was the battery life and ruggedness. The battery life is unreal. Yes they cost more and i had to save up for them. Neither are their top models one is a C3 and the other is the PRO.
I have been looking at a Aimpoint PRO , it really is a bargain for what you get . one of these days Im going to leave my vortex on and see how long that battery lasts , Im 100% sure it will never go 3 yrs but hell I would be happy enough to leave it on all the time if it would go a year on a $4 battery
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #18

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Speaking of cheap optics, my lack hook and bullet store has a " special". For 25 dollars you can have a scope that looks beyond cheap, and has no markings, and a pair of aluminum rings that look like they were manufactured in the 1970's. that seems like trouble just waiting to happen.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #19

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I've owned a dozen or more cheap optics over the years.

Bitterly regretted wasting my money on every single one of them.

Old Italian proverb: "Cheapa U buy, cheapa U get."
Amen nuthin worse than crap optics.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #20

Bought this same Tru-Glo scope on line at Gander Mountain back in December for $29.95 with free shipping and have used it three times on my AR and love it. Can't beat price for what it is.