Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Im looking for a new scope. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/im-looking-new-scope-16824/)

benhaberern 08-12-2009 03:21 AM

Im looking for a new scope.

I dont know alot about scopes but i am looking for a good scope to go on my remington 700 30/06 i will be mostley hunting whitetail and most of the time not makeing more than a 100 yard shot but i would also like to be able to hit a target at a 1000 yards if need be. I am also looking to spend 200-300 on the scope.

Thanks Ben

skullcrusher 08-12-2009 04:07 AM

Welcome to the forum.:)

mrm14 08-12-2009 04:24 AM

Welcom to the forum.

cpttango30 08-12-2009 04:37 AM

Really, your not going to take a shot at 100 yards but you want a scope that can shoot 1000?

Look man not to be a prick but, you are wanting a scope to do two totally different things. A rifle capable of hitting a target at 1000 yards is not your normal everyday Deer rifle unless you are shooting a top of the line custom built bench or F-class rifle rifle at deer. I know some guys that do.

If you go and look at an f-class match (Shot at 800 900 and 1000 yards) you will not see a scope on the line cheaper than $600 and that is pushing the limit of a nice $600 scope. Most of the guys on the 1000 yard line use one of three brands of scope and I hate to tell you that none of them make a scope that cost $200 except maybe Leupold. the top three I see are US Optics cheapest one is about $2700 Night Force $1500 and Leupold $1500.

I am all for buying quality glass in your budget weather it is $300 or $3000. But there is not a single scope out there for $300 what is going to do what you need to hit a target at 1000 yards. You do realize that is slightly over 1/2 a mile right. That is not even taking into account that to hit at 1000 yards you need at least 20MOA (Minutes Of Angle) built into the rings or bases. With 20moa bases on your gun you will shoot like 4 or 5' high at 100 yards.

You need to figure out what you want your rifle to do within the reason. Do you want a 1000 yard rifle or do you want a 100 yard hunting rifle for deer. Until you figure out what you want to do we can not give you advise. Please feel free to read the threads there is a vast amount of knowledge running around in here.

mrm14 08-12-2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benhaberern (Post 143011)
I dont know alot about scopes but i am looking for a good scope to go on my remington 700 30/06 i will be mostley hunting whitetail and most of the time not makeing more than a 100 yard shot but i would also like to be able to hit a target at a 1000 yards if need be. I am also looking to spend 200-300 on the scope.

Thanks Ben

Well Ben lets be realistic here about a scope to hunt White Tail Deer at 100 yards and shooting targets at 1000 yards. Particularly for the price range of $200.00 to $300.00. Shooting at 1000 yards consistantly accurate takes alot more than a rifle and a scope of any price range. It takes alot of time in practice to develop these skills. And the scopes you would want to do this with will be considerably beyond your stated price range.

The .30-06 is a good round for hunting as well a target. One of my favorite calibers when I was younger and hunted more. I still hunt but not as much as 20 years ago.

I'm a Leupold fan and here are a couple suggestions for a scope for hunting at 100 to 300 yards. 1) Leupold VX I 3-9X40mm; suggested retail about $250.00. 2) Leupold VX II 3-9X40mm; suggested reatil about $330.00. Places like Midway and your larger retailer stores will probably have prices $20.00 to $30.00 or so less than Leupolds suggested retail prices. So these scopes in the Leupold brand should be in your stated price range.

A Leupold VX 3 4.5-14X40mm would be my choice for this caliber of rifle for hunting deer, particularly at a bit longer range, however, it is a couple of hunderd or so dollars out of your stated price range.

There are other good brand scopes out there some for even less money than Leupold. Let the other members of this forum have time to chime in with their reccomendations before you decide what to buy. Also, decide what you really want to do with this rifle before you go any further selecting a scope. You'll find many of them here quite knoweledgable when it comes to optics and firearms in general.

BTW, may I suggest that you go to the Introductions section of this forum and introduce yourself, as I see this was your first post.

benhaberern 08-13-2009 10:58 AM

Thanks for your help as I said I know pretty much nothing about scops being only 14. But i am looking to be able to make long range shots. So thanks for your help.

Westy 09-19-2009 10:41 PM

I've bought two of these for my AR-15's and found they are pretty decent for the money:

Simmons 6-21x44 44 Mag Rifle Scope

Funny though, I have one with a lighted recticle and I don't see it here.... SWFA has some pretty decent prices.

TOP PREDATOR 09-28-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benhaberern (Post 143011)

Thanks Ben

pulling the double duty is a dilema, as if your shooting long distance, a variable higher magnification scope is nice. however many start at 6x, which you tend to loose the animal in the optic at closer ranges. i've seen people hit 1000 target with a straingt power 4.5, but those are folks that practice and train to do it.

if your shooting form is good, data book is accurate, etc., you shouldn't have too much of a problem going from 100 to 1000 with whatever optic your using, although the creature comforts of having adjustment turrets, adjustable obj or side focus, and mildots are a definite plus. it will also help with the 1000 stuff if you zero at 200 or 300 yards.

one option you may want to consider is settling on what is more of a concern to you now - hunting or target. then get the proper tool for the job mounted with quality detachable rings. then you can swop one optic out for another depending on what you are doing at the time. (christmas is around the corner, great time to stock up on accessories from santa;))

finding a scope from 4x to 14, 16, 18, or 24x isn't too hard for the budget you quoted, however i don't know your style of hunting so a bulky long and heavy scope for your deer hunting may be more of an encumberance than a blessing.

also check out Natchez shooting supplies, they usually have good glass at a good price.

also depends on what you call a "good scope". i'd go with some form of nikon, bushnell elite series, burris.

look into getting a canted moa base to ensure that you don't run out of vertical adjustment, no matter what scope you decide on.