Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Illuminated reticle suggestions......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 879 Times on 585 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Default Illuminated reticle suggestions......

Well my eyes have finally given up the ability to pickup the cross hair for bullet placement in lowlight / spot light (red/green) night hog hunting at 70 yards and beyond. It's been frustrating to say the least. No "aim small hit small"

So I've come to the idea of getting an illuminated Dot or Cross hair scope, for my new pig gun . Ruger .308 Hawkeye Mannlicher. I'm not interested in spending high dollars since this is a dedicated pig gun, but will ultimately make that decision when time comes.

I need your experience please....

*What colors work best with spot lights against a pigs dark body
*Dot or cross hair
*Finer the dot / cross hair the better
*Brands
etc etc etc.

Become steel or get cut.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 545

I have a 30mm tube Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4x24 with a 1 MOA illuminated red dot and a 4A reticle. I also have several Bushnell TRS25's with 3 MOA dots and no magnification. I cant tell you about pigs but they both show up quite well in dim light. Be careful about too much illumination. I have seen some scopes that light up the whole reticle and it is not a good thing. Some have an overabundance of information incorporated into the reticle which is also not a good thing for hunting. There are quite a few videos on Utube about hunting pigs and red dots seem to be preferred. Keep it simple.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 06-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the information brother. I need to keep it simple and crisp not blinding... I wonder if a Dot would be better than cross hairs. We go to Texas a couple of times a year for hog hunting in the dark....

Become steel or get cut.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
Thanks for the information brother. I need to keep it simple and crisp not blinding... I wonder if a Dot would be better than cross hairs. We go to Texas a couple of times a year for hog hunting in the dark....
Wife and I have 300++ squirrels that a 28$ red dot on a pellet gun. I have a led light for coons at night. Lights the eyes up and pop! The pellet gun is only good for 25 yards though. Helps my 70 year old eyes.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Helps my 70 year old eyes.
Im headed that way brother, still be awhile though

Become steel or get cut.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I am using a weaver classic extreme 4-16 x 50mm with German #4 reticle on a Bushmaster ar-15. Also have a Hogzilla green light, setup good to see 150 yards. At dusk or dawn I set the illumination higher when darker I set the power lower. The hogs cannot detect green light it is outside their visual spectrum - the small red dot contrasts the green light very well.Am killing hogs at 60 to 120 yards so a lot of magnification not necessary just nice to have.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1603 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 788

I have a couple of Bushnell 'firefly' scopes. They are low tech (no batteries, switches, or adjustments), not expensive, very reliable. The lower power 1.5x4 are GREAT hog scopes. I would highly recommend them your 'hog' hunting.
Hope this helped.
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 06-12-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Jim, Good suggestion and had decided on that line. However my gunsmith buddy gave me a NCStar MKIII with illuminatedblue reticle and red laser. Now my Ruger Hawkeye w/Mannlicher got this bad ass hillbilly operator look to it.

Its mounted on a weaver rail with a weaver quick release. Plus I have a old Weaver scope for it also. So I'm pretty happy

Become steel or get cut.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It was explained to me that a red/green reticle might become harder to view as we get older. Hawke developed a blue reticle that looks pretty neat. =)