I need some information on night vision scopes.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > I need some information on night vision scopes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Default I need some information on night vision scopes.

I was looking into getting a night vision scope other then the price whats the deal with the different generations?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Last edited by canebrake; 09-10-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 1314

Unclebear,

To make it very simple, the higher the generation the clearer the view and the farther you can see clearly. For example the 1st and 2nd Generations are limited on distance you can see and they are not real clear. In fact they are usually very grainy and not clear if that is a correct way of describing it. You might be able to make out a figure at 100 or 75 yards but no distinct details. Some of these also have a real Green tint to the view. Like the old Vietnam Scopes if you have ever seen a movie that they were allegedly looking through one. With the better units they also usually come with an IR Illuminator which is invisible to the human or varmints eyes. But unfortunately to get a good 3rd or 3+ Generation you are looking from $3500 -$6000 for a good NV weapon Scope. So I would ask what are your plans for it. There are other ways to go if you are for example night hunting for varmints.
The ATN Company also produces some decent NV. Of course there is Litton, NIVISYS and others. So certainly depends on your needs and for sure your budget! FOR SURE!
Bottom line! What ever you buy regarding NV be sure and get a written agreement if it is not what you expect from the product that you can say, return it within like 72 hours. But try it at night before you keep it on a very dark night. You may be very disappointed if you do not and have wasted your hard earned money on nothing that will do the task for you.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #3

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Its going to be used for night time target shooting, varmint hunting...etc. I checked with local laws as long as I have permission from the landowner I can help them with there pesky coyote problem.

Just thinking would be it be cheaper to get a monocle? That way I could use night vision on multiple weapons?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED