Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Howa 1500 2 pc base trouble.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Howa 1500 2 pc base trouble.

I just got my Howa 1500 24'' hvy bbl 223 today.

Picked up the Leupold Rem 700 long action bases, part number 50016.

Front base fits fine, rear base interrupts bolt opening.

Howa, Brownells, Midway all call for 700 LA bases.
Numerous other forums call for either 700 short action, or Weatherby non magnum mark 5 bases.

Help........me............

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 AM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I've got Leupold Rem 700 SA bases on my Weatherby .223 and they fit fine. From what I can gather the Vangaurd and the 1500 are more or less the same so maybe you can give them a try?

Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #3

did you ever get that CZ?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 AM   #4

Nah I changed my accommodation and although it's a much nicer place where I am now it's more expensive so my savings have gone into that.. I'm planning to give myself a new rifle by mid next year though!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #5

i put the CZ medium rings and a Leupold 6-18x40 on mine. Im loving it. got sub moa at 100 yards with Lake city linked M-60 ammo!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
i put the CZ medium rings and a Leupold 6-18x40 on mine. Im loving it. got sub moa at 100 yards with Lake city linked M-60 ammo!
Bastard!

It was a pain in the arse cause I really wanted that gun, I've got a CZ in 17HMR and I absolutely love it.. I really did have to get out of uni accommodation but, the lack of space was sending me bat-sh!t crazy.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
Bastard!

It was a pain in the arse cause I really wanted that gun, I've got a CZ in 17HMR and I absolutely love it.. I really did have to get out of uni accommodation but, the lack of space was sending me bat-sh!t crazy.
forgive my ignorance, but I assume thats apartments?

Old 10-28-2010, 04:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
forgive my ignorance, but I assume thats apartments?
Yeah that's right, sorry about that... There was 700 apartments, 5 five people in each, with a tiny communal kitchen, livingroom and bathroom in every apartment. Not enough room to swing a cat! Needless to say, I only lasted about 3 months..

I'm interested about the new rifle, what will you be using it as?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #9

it will be used to turn innocent vermin(AKA prairie dogs, crows, the like) into pink clouds of mist as the Sierra Blitzkings cause them to pop like ballons filled with red food coloring!

I ordered my rings and scope today. I had Leupold rings and bases, but realized this would be enough clicks. Leupold has 56 minutes of movement. thats good to about 500 yards give or take. But Id like to be able to take them out to 800.

I took them off and they sit dejected by themselves in the cabinet.

Im putting Burris signature Zee rings and bases on it. You order ring inserts to make up the scope elevation so you arent relying on scope clicks as much.

I also chose the Leupold 6-18x40 target, with the target dot reticule. Its a 1/8 MOA dot in fine hairs. YOu can use it to judge distance sinc you know how big your target is(should be)

Now I get to order dies(lee collet die, full length sizer, micrometer seater) brass, bullets, powder, primers, AHHH!

its definitely going to be an expensive gun to shoot. Im also going to make a two station gauge to measure bullet runout and neck runout.

Its a huge difference from loading pistol ammo.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #10

I really like your description, you've obviously put quite a bit of thought into it! I wish we had the likes of prairie dogs, the only opportunity I get at multiple shots is if I happen upon a particularly active rabbit warren lol. Or manage to call a second fox back after I ventilate the first

Out to 800 yrds Are you going after vermin or paper at that distance?! That's WAY past my capabilities, I'd love to give it a go but.. That scope and ring setup sounds awesome, I've only got a VX-1 3x9 on mine but it works great for what I need it for; seeing game out to 250 yrds.. It must be great to have a scope that's also a rangefinder but Do you have a chart to do your calculations or do you do them on the fly??

It certainly sounds like a big investment of time and money but no-one shoots to get rich right? It's a labour of love haha. And the pleasure you get out of it will be more than worth the investment. My uncle is a semi-pro clay target shooter and always says the only way to make a small fortune out shooting is to start out with a big one