how far should I sight in my scope in a shtf situation?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > how far should I sight in my scope in a shtf situation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default how far should I sight in my scope in a shtf situation?

I have my scope on my ar and idk what is realistic.

forumrunner_20130227_134528.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

What kind of SHTF? Zombies, flash mobs, looters... They all move at different speeds and in different sized groups. Also, are there fat people where you live? Fat people make slow zombies, and they make looters that get stuck in window frames.

Hurricane? Hmmm... Maybe you know something we don't. You know how much money can be saved if we turn hurricanes around by shooting at them? Damn! I wish I would've thought of that. You should charge the insurance companies a percentage of their savings!

Now that I'm done with the cruel sarcasm, I'll tell you why a "SHTF zero" is actually quite a silly idea. Combat accuracy. Combat actions in the military definitely qualify as ye olde merde hitting the well known ventilator. Military weapons are required to hold at least 4MOA.

If you can hit within 4 inches of your POA at 100 yards, you've accomplished minute of man.

I'm assuming at great risk to U and ME that your intending to use this SHTF firearm to defend against two legged predators?

Now. What's your situation? You bugging in at the apartment complex? Or do you live in the boonies? Mountains and plains? Or deep, dark swamps like me?

Every situation is different. The best "SHTF zero" is the approximate range you're most likely to encounter in a defensive or hunting situation.

Current military engagements in urban environments happen at around 150 yards or less.

Current military engagements in Afghanistan are currently happening at upwards of 600 yards on occasion.

There's not a good battle zero that splits the difference really well. YOU have to tailor it yourself to the conditions you feel YOU'RE most likely to encounter.

Short answer: there's no definite answer.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My opinion is 100 yards is a good and realistic???
I do have a 45 degree rails for close encounters mbus.

Can you please educate me a little on moa on my scope idk what that means?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

I would say 100yds they (military) always said the sight in is the same as 20yds. And after I sighted it in I would do bullet drop for every 50-100yds.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

MOA minute of angle aprox 1"@100yds 2"@200yds...
And angle is broke down degrees> minutes>seconds.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprophetofpwn View Post
My opinion is 100 yards is a good and realistic???
I do have a 45 degree rails for close encounters mbus.

Can you please educate me a little on moa on my scope idk what that means?
MOA is minute of angle, (1/60th of an angle of one degree) which equates to approximately 1 inch deviation for every 100 yards or so. There is an exact number and formula, but 1" per 100 yards is the generally accepted ratio.

POA is point of aim. Say you aim for a pin head at 100 yards and fire a group. Whatever the distance is between the most distant impacts, is your group size. A four inch group is considered acceptable for combat. 4 inches is a head shot at one hundred yards. Unless someone has a really tiny head.

Now, as to your distance. Again, it depends on your environment. 100 yards would be about perfect for me. I live in deep brush country. An idea of the type of range I'm expecting, my step Dad lives in a similar terrain, and his furthest shot while deer hunting has been about 65 yards.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2549 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

prophet,

I would suggest 100 yards. You with using the scope you have on your rifle are going to basically just be pointing it at close ranges like 25 yards and etc. You are not going to be able to see clearly through the scope at the close distances. And at 50 with using the scope (Depending on the Power as to clarity) it will be so close to the 100 yard zero you will not notice the difference. Also at 200 you are going to only be a couple of inches low at 200. Finally if you go to the ballistics tables a lot of the data is figured on a 100 yard zero being the reference as far as bullet drop at longer ranges. The AR Rifle is certainly capable of making 600 yard shots accurately depending mostly on the wind.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 852 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 383

I have little experience with 5.56 or 223 my favored caliber was the old 30-06 but I always favored sighting it dead on at 200 yards this puts me 1 1/2" high at a 100 and right on again at about 25 yards.
That way on deer sized critters I don't have to make any adjustments out to 250 yards which here in the Maine/New Hampshire area is a long shot!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 852 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
MOA is minute of angle, (1/60th of an angle of one degree) which equates to approximately 1 inch deviation for every 100 yards or so. There is an exact number and formula, but 1" per 100 yards is the generally accepted ratio.

POA is point of aim. Say you aim for a pin head at 100 yards and fire a group. Whatever the distance is between the most distant impacts, is your group size. A four inch group is considered acceptable for combat. 4 inches is a head shot at one hundred yards. Unless someone has a really tiny head.

Now, as to your distance. Again, it depends on your environment. 100 yards would be about perfect for me. I live in deep brush country. An idea of the type of range I'm expecting, my step Dad lives in a similar terrain, and his furthest shot while deer hunting has been about 65 yards.
I agree with Trip it really depends on where you are the scopes I use are usually at most in the 3x9 range sometimes less and usually left on the lower power in this part of the world

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #10

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

By all accounts the most common urban combat ranges seem to be well under 100 yards.

Also if you shoot someone at 500 yards its hard to argue self defense.
I zero my stuff at 25 yards 1.5 inch low which means i will be right on between 50-150 yards.
Anything closer and its hard to miss.
Anything further and I aim high

but like another poster said.

if you live in a rural plains state you might want to zero for greater distances. mountainous terrain will also see greater ranges.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix