How is exit pupil determined?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > How is exit pupil determined?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5727 Times on 3241 Posts
Likes Given: 5162

Default How is exit pupil determined?

The pupil of the human eye can dilate to 7mm. If the exit pupil of the scope is 7MM, your eye can use all of the light transmitted. If the exit pupil is less than 7MM, the scope is not illuminating the eye to the full extent.

A 7MM exit pupil is the holy grail.

Exit pupil is calculated by dividing the diameter of the objective bell (front lens) by the magnification Thus a 4x28 scope has a 7MM exit pupil. The same for a 6X42.

A 3-9X42 will only achieve 7MM at 6 power.

Some big variables have 56MM bells. This gives a 7MM exit pupil all the way to 8 power.

On a sunny day, this isn't very important, but in low light situations, the larger the objective bell, the better you will see the target.

This is only one of several considerations when choosing a scope. But it cam be a very important one.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by locutus; 02-25-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I remember reading that as one ages, their maximum exit pupil becomes smaller, approximating less than 5 by the time one is 50.

Therefore, seeking to achieve an exit pupil of ones optic above that number would gain nothing for that particular individual. In other words, going to a larger objective diameter for a given magnification might actually be a waste of money and space, more weight, etc.

BTW, I think you meant the exit pupil is calculated by dividing the diameter of the objective lens by the magnification.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Last edited by treehugger49; 02-25-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5727 Times on 3241 Posts
Likes Given: 5162

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
I remember reading that as one ages, their maximum exit pupil becomes smaller, approximating less than 5 by the time one is 50.

Therefore, seeking to achieve an exit pupil of ones optic above that number would gain nothing for that particular individual. In other words, going to a larger objective diameter for a given magnification might actually be a waste of money and space, more weight, etc.

BTW, I think you meant the exit pupil is calculated by dividing the diameter of the objective lens by the magnification.

OOOOPPS! you're absolutely correct! Pulled my head out of my *** and went back and fixed it! Thanks for the heads up!

Winston Churchill