Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > How do you tell a knock off is a knock off?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default How do you tell a knock off is a knock off?

I have had an oppertunity to buy a ACOG 4X scope. The problem is that the price is too good to be true at 400. I know that there are some knock offs out there and was wondering if there was a way I could find out if the scope that says ACOG is actually a ACOG. This scope has all the marking and all the registered signs. It has absolutely all the markings of a Trigicon ACOG, but the price is setting me off a little bit.

Any help would be helpful

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

First off who are you buying from? A reputable dealer selling a ding and dent sample or an unknown party online? We need pics. I have owned a few ACOGs and can quickly spot poor and moderate quality fakes. If it is real for that price I would be worried about two things since the price is so low.

1.) Stolen U.S Government property.

2.) The tritinium could be dead meaning you would have no night time illumination. Sending it back to Trijicon to have the tritinium replaced runs about $200.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5328 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 338

lots of popular items have that problem writing the serial number down and contacting the manufacturer can usually tell you if it is real or fake. check their website or email them for a list of things to look for on the item to make sure it is genuine. however the best advice i can give if you have a doubt dont buy it.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I didn't pay much more than that for my ACOG, bought it from a broke soldier...

Old 11-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
It has absolutely all the markings of a Trigicon ACOG, but the price is setting me off a little bit.

Any help would be helpful
Well if it does in fact say "Trigicon" on it i would be willing to bet it's a fake, kind of like a "Folex" watch.

If that was just a typo though, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #6

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlPainless View Post
Well if it does in fact say "Trigicon" on it i would be willing to bet it's a fake, kind of like a "Folex" watch.

If that was just a typo though, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Sorry...Typo. It's a friend of a friend, of a friend... I don't want to get burned. I wouldn't mind having a knock off, but don't want to pay that much for one.

I'll post pix when I have time. I am in the middle of a in depth article in a gun magazine right now.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlPainless View Post

I have a really nice Roley watch that I bough off of an urban gentleman in the Walmart parking lot.

To the OP, usually the manufacture's website will have info on counterfeit products posted.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #8

I usually can spot a knockoff by the seals in between each component. Many of the knocks have odd substances in the threads of the parts.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #9

Liked 673 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 681

Leupold knockoffs are out there also.
Leupold || Counterfeit Warning
The Optics Talk Forums - Beware of Fakes - Page 1