How do you level a scope? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > How do you level a scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was talking about rifle cant. The shim I was talking about was getting the butt stock off the floor to get the point of aim on the dot I mentioned. Sorry, I keep making the assumption that hunters use bipods. Most do not. I'm remembering now that I started do this with my Lead Sled last year and got frusterated and reverted to the bipod again. That was with my Mini-14 Target variation. If you ask me, Harris bipods are the best thing since sliced bread (IMHO) but I don't hunt so I don't have to tote one around. In actuality, my rifle scopes are probably zeroed to the cant imposed by the bipods I rest them on vice actual rifle bores. The "dot" that I use lately for comparison is the laser boresighter dot so maybe that has redeemed me (hopefully). I didn't even think about it that thoroughly. I shoot off a bench and 95% of the time on the bipods so I never thought much before either. In fact, I should admit that until recently, I haven't even had access to a range over 200 yards to stretch my legs on. Thank you for the thread. I didn't mean to misinform you all but it seems I have. When I get home I need to do some evaluation of my rifles and the imposed canting of of the bipods. Good thing I caught this before I scoped up my long distance shooter. When it's all said and done, I'll probably end up welding a jig together to keep my rifle butt stocks canted perfectly perpendicular to an even floor. It will be worth the effort, I hope. The first thing I'm gonna try is the feeler gauges on my flat top. That looks easy enough for even me to do. Thanks you all. I apologize again for the misinformation. I'm gonna be sure and dig up that post about the jig that Dillinger mentioned.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #32

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I have two harris bipods and they stay in the safe unless I want to impress someone. I have the 6-9" and the 13-27" They weigh a ton and are very noisy. Plus when I need to pull a quick off hand 200 yard shot they make the rifle really front heavy......

If I don't care my $5 shooting sticks come out because A: They weigh 1/10 of what the bipod does. B: are much more versatile than a fixed bipod.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #33

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Nice Premier Retciles scope you have there. I have the 5-25X56 on a 300 Win Mag I shoot 1000 yard target with and another one will go on a 260 I'm in the process of having built now.
Thx, I fell in lust with them the first time I laid eyes on one. I knew it would be the optic for my long-range build, obviously if you are getting another you are as pleased with yours.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #34

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I have two harris bipods and they stay in the safe unless I want to impress someone. I have the 6-9" and the 13-27" They weigh a ton and are very noisy. Plus when I need to pull a quick off hand 200 yard shot they make the rifle really front heavy......

If I don't care my $5 shooting sticks come out because A: They weigh 1/10 of what the bipod does. B: are much more versatile than a fixed bipod.
Say it ain't so Tango! Not my Harris bypods. You can cut on my 1911 all day but leave the poor Harris Bipods outta this.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 AM   #35

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
Say it ain't so Tango! Not my Harris bypods. You can cut on my 1911 all day but leave the poor Harris Bipods outta this.
Awww..... Cmon' Tango, you don't always want shoot prone unsupported.

If you don't like the Harris biods try one of these.

http://www.accu-shot.com/images/atlas/atlas-v8-large2.jpg

Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #36

It is hard to shoot prone for me. Prone shooting for me is like you going to walmart buying a pink bouncy ball. Place that ball on your shooting mat and grabbing your rifle and laying with your stomach on the ball now try to shoot. Thats what it would be like watching me shoot from the pron position.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #37

Likes Given: 5

I have never used a level. I set the gun below shoulder level, shoulder the weapon and if it looks level I set it. Never have had a problem.

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." Patrick Henery ... "The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!" George Washington

Old 02-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #38

Thats fine for regular hunting. I am doing this on varmint rifles and target rifles. I need it to be dead on. 1/4 moa at 500 yards is a missed ground hog or other varmint.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #39

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Thats fine for regular hunting. I am doing this on varmint rifles and target rifles. I need it to be dead on. 1/4 moa at 500 yards is a missed ground hog or other varmint.
Tango, until it is figured out for ourselves or for others, if your using your Remmy 700 for varmet I still say that the Wheeler Level Level Level works out fine for this rifle and I really dont know for sure but it might work out for the other rifle you have as well for this. I leveled the scope out for my 1000 yard target rifle with it, which is a Remmy 700 reciever, and I'll tell you that it's dead on for this endevour. I think the Wheeler Level Level Level should work fine for at least your Remmy 700. For under $20.00 from Midway how can you go wrong?

This thread has made me look up how to precisely do with with any rifle and I have found so far that there is many opinions and viable ways to do this, however, with no one method set in stone. I still kinda' like the one method I found that I posted from the machinest.