How do you level a scope?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > How do you level a scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Default How do you level a scope?

OK SO I got a nifty Tipton gun vice for my birthday.

I got out the AR the other night and my 6" torpedo level. I am lucky because my gas block is a railed version. I set the level on there and leveled the rifle and making sure it stayed level I tightened it down. I then placed the level on the top turret and seen that the scope was canted slightly (About 1/16 to 1/8") to the right. So I loosened the rings and set it level. WOW What a difference that made.

Now my question is how do I do that on a bolt gun? I have no flat spot on the receiver to place a level not even a string level. Do I need to remove the scope completely and use the level on the bottom half of the rings? or on the mount? It is a Leupold one piece mount on one and 2 piece bases on another.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6731 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

typical on my bolt guns thats how i do it. i remove the scope level the rifle on the scope base lock it down make sur it hasnt moved then level the scope and tighten. i make my eye relief adjustment before any of that so i can just mount the scope.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #3

Liked 373 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 34

CP, heres what I use. Works very good and is quick.

Wheeler® Engineering Level Level Level

Midway has them for $19.99, however, they are on backorder now but should be in by 2-19-11

Last edited by mrm14; 02-18-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6731 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
CP, heres what I use. Works very good and is quick.

Wheeler® Engineering Level Level Level

Midway has them for $19.99, however, they are on backorder now but should be in by 2-19-11
ive got that kit. it only works on about 30% of guns ive tried it on as described in the instructions as a lot of rifles the recievers are not level in the magazine area. i sometimes take it to the range as part of my kit and have leant to quite a few peeps.

however there is always a spot or two you can level level the rifle.

check to make sure that whatever point your leveling is level with the scope base.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ive got that kit. it only works on about 30% of guns ive tried it on as described in the instructions as a lot of rifles the recievers are not level in the magazine area. i sometimes take it to the range as part of my kit and have leant to quite a few peeps.

however there is always a spot or two you can level level the rifle.

check to make sure that whatever point your leveling is level with the scope base.
Hmmmmm... I've used it on quite a few center fire bolt rifles over the years and havn't run across one yet that it hasn't worked on. The bottom rifle level has always properly engaged the bolt raceway for a true rifle level with no problems. The top scope level has always laid flat across the elevation turret or threaded down scope cap with no problems as well.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #6

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Hmmmmm... I've used it on quite a few center fire bolt rifles over the years and havn't run across one yet that it hasn't worked on. The bottom rifle level has always properly engaged the bolt raceway for a true rifle level with no problems. The top scope level has always laid flat across the elevation turret or threaded down scope cap with no problems as well.
For example, the bolt raceways on both of my Kimber rifles are not level, therefore that bottom level is useless.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
For example, the bolt raceways on both of my Kimber rifles are not level, therefore that bottom level is useless.
Well I've not had a Kimber to try it on and I imagine theres is others that this won't work on as well.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #8

Just figured out that it won't work on a Howa 1500 either. FYI.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Just figured out that it won't work on a Howa 1500 either. FYI.
So lon, as to help out here; What relitively quick/easy method would you use to level scopes for rifles like the Kimber and Howa types?

Not so much for me as I'll probably never own one of these bolt guns but for others who might just happen to have rifles like these.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #10

Ha! Wish I had an answer. On my rifles that don't have a level bolt raceway, I just eyeball it at the house when I'm mounting the scope. Then, of course, I get it to the range and it's canted. Then, more adjustments!