Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   High Quality Scope for average rifle? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/high-quality-scope-average-rifle-30549/)

Redarrow18 08-18-2010 01:25 AM

High Quality Scope for average rifle?

do you guys think its worth spending more on a scope than you did the rifle? yeah you could say i could go buy another rifle but I a satisfied with the rifle i have. if i got a really nice scope would my rifle do it justice?

cpttango30 08-18-2010 03:30 AM

I never spend more on a scope than on my rifle. The scope snobs tell you to do that. They believe that because a Leupold cost twice as much as a Sightron SIII it is a better scope.

I myself believe you get the most bang for your buck at the $500 to $600 range of optics. These are for working man rifles too. I spent $650 on my Remmy and $550 on the scope a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40 I traded that for a Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x42mm. Both scopes are in the $500 to $600 range and the nikon I believe is a better scope.

You have many levels of scopes. You have your basic budget scopes up to $150. You then have you low end $150 -$300 You have your mid range $400-$500 then your upper middle $500 to $600 your high $600 to $900 and your Ultimate $1000 and above or (Stupid expensive as I call them).

I can spend $500 on a nice Nikon Monarch or Bushnell Elite 4200 and get good coating on the glass and side focus on the nikons as well. Side focus used to be only on the high end and up scopes but now you are seeing it more and more on the upper mid and above.

People will get on here and start with the first and second focal plane scopes and mildots and BDC reticals blah blah blah.

Here is what you need to do when you are looking for a scope.

1. Get you a good quality mounting system weather it is a rail weaver style mounts or a Leupold std one piece (MY preferred mount).
2. Determine your optic budget.
3. Research scopes in that price range.
4. Ask questions when you need to.
5. Pick the best scope you can afford.
6. Bee happy with a well informed choice you made.
7. Thumb your nose at the scope snobs.

opaww 08-18-2010 08:58 AM

What Tango said....I use a $170 scope for target shooting and it works fine, now if the shooter can do as well as the scope I would be happy.

Redarrow18 08-18-2010 05:14 PM

so a good rule a thumb for scope buying is too match the rifle?

so a $300 to $500 rifle should get a $300 to $500 scope? or

a $1500 rifle should get a $1500 scope?

cpttango30 08-18-2010 05:50 PM

Kind of I know plenty of guys that have had Tasco scopes on their nice hunting rifles and they bring home a full load of meat every deer season.

I know guys that have Nightforce scopes and can't hit dirt with the muzzle pointed down.

If you wanted to put a $1500 scope on a $500 rifle go for it.

I myself just don't give in to the scope snobs who say if it isn't $1k + it is junk.

Buy what you can afford and call it a day it is your rifle outfit it how you want.

I can tell you this you put a $500 Nikon Monarch next to a $500 Leupold and that Nikon will be in your hand on the way out the door.

Don't get me wrong Leupold scopes are great scopes. You can get one and it will last you a life time. But, there are plenty of other quality optics out there.

I base my scope on what I need for that rifle. My varmint rifles get high power scopes. My deer rifle gets a lower power scope here in VA where I shoot many shots are not over 100 yards. with my deer rifle I can get to 250 yards easy. So for my deer rifle I don't need the 6-24x50mm that is on my AR varmint rifle. I can get away with the dreaded 3-9x50mm I got on it.

I try to stay around $500 for my scopes. My AR was $1k the scope $500 and it shoots like a laser beam. It throws out .295" 3 shot groups like they are nothing.

fpdsniper 08-18-2010 09:21 PM

There is a lot of truth to that. You can spend a lot of money on a scope, but that doesn't translate into better shooting, per se. When my customers ask me to recommend a scope, I address their needs first. If it is a professionally used optic (Law Enforcement, etc) I recommend a higher end scope due to more robust internals. Most however, don't need to spend $1,000.00 on a scope for their needs. Very good quality optics can be had for 5-6 hundred range. Or for plinkers, even less.

Donnie

JonM 08-19-2010 12:29 AM

i got tired of destroying my scopes when shooting full 458winmag loads. bought a leupold vx7. i use a nikon monarch on my 458 socom. my scopes run the range from cheap to pricey it just depends on the features/durability/distance you want. one of the best scopes i have is an old weaver german #1 reticle fixed 2.5power scope made in the old el paso factory that a guy gave to me 20 years ago. it rides on my ruger 44 carbine.

i dont think its a good idea to use axioms to justify a purchase. not all cheap scopes are good nor are all pricey ones. price should not be a sole consideration. there are a lot of good cheap scopes.

Txhillbilly 08-19-2010 01:09 AM

I purchase a scope based on what I'm going to be doing with the gun.Something that's just going to be used for plinking or hunting small game,I'll get a scope that will do the job and not break the bank.
Now on a big game or long range shooting rifle,I'll spend the money to have a scope that will last and also has all the bells & whistles that I may need to make the most of any shot available.
My scopes range from a $70 BSA Sweet 22 on my Ruger 10/22 to a $1900 Swarovski PH on a Savage FLP110 300WM.

There are some very good cheaper priced scopes on the market today,but usually you do get what you pay for.And the resale on a quality scope is worth the extra price.
Most scopes today have a lifetime warranty,but that doesn't sell me on a scope.
Optic quality,and dependability is what I look at when I buy a higher end scope.Go look through several scopes outside right before sunset at long distance and you can really tell a cheap scope from a nice scope.Looking through a scope inside a store won't tell you much about the optics.

Inside a lighted store a NcStar will look just as good as a Zeiss,but take them outside and the Zeiss will show off the quality of the glass that is used in them.

I have no problem spending more on the optics than I do on the rifle. That's like saying I only shoot FMJ ammo out of a gun,Accubonds cost too much and after all it's just a bullet,they all go bang.

Buy all the scope that you can afford to put on a rifle,and match the scope to your needs.

Redarrow18 08-19-2010 01:19 AM

yeah, i guess its harder to tell how "good" a scope is online, in a shop i can at least see and feel for myself how good one is or not.
thanks guys for the help!

bman940 08-24-2010 08:34 PM

Just remember in a store there is artifical light that won't come close to simulating that early morning or late evening picture that really seperates the good scopes from the wannabe's. I am a Nikon Monarch fan. They have all the bells and whistles that scopes costing hundreds more have and are backed by the Nikon name. I concur with Tango, if you have a bunch of money to blow go ahead and buy another make, but for me I want the best quality for my money.