High quality scope - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > High quality scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

What are you doing with this rifle. I have yet to find a need for a lighted crosshair. I hunt and play at long range and have had to wait for legal light to beable to finally make a shot at longer distance with a normal class of respecible 1" hunting scope . I find that in very low light these added lights can take away from "seeing " the field of view as clearly as I like too.

sibil bet the same smithy was going to order you that scope too!!

Last edited by hardluk1; 09-25-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #12

I will used it mainly for benchrest and prone positions, I think rarely will use it for standing or sitting.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5759 Times on 3257 Posts
Likes Given: 5197

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
What are you doing with this rifle. I have yet to find a need for a lighted crosshair. I hunt and play at long range and have had to wait for legal light to beable to finally make a shot at longer distance with a normal class of respecible 1" hunting scope . I find that in very low light these added lights can take away from "seeing " the field of view as clearly as I like too.

sibil bet the same smithy was going to oeder you that scope too!!
I respectfully disagree. I like a lighted reticle. It gives you roughly 30 minutes in the AM and PM. And if push came to shove, and you needed to use the rifle for "serious social shooting," the lighted reticle would give you a chance to make a shot on a moonlit night.

Winston Churchill

Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #14

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Not for me, A light takes away a bit of the peripheral around the edges of the target I want to hit. May have more to do with your scopes lense quality and recticle if you think you need it. If I can't see my target it a light on the reticle does not matter . If I can see it I don't need the light. Least than been my view on it. We have a couple of them on scopes and I just leave the batteries out of them after try'n them as I have got'n older. Still the same for me. Guess we are all different in wants and needs. The light might help some if they have issues with placeing a aim point on a target as in black on black paper but many have them on there scope and never used them even at long range too.

This guys is wanting scope for match shooting, a light is a real waist.

Last edited by hardluk1; 09-25-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibil View Post
What are the advantage of the ilumm. reticle? I was considering a simple crosshair. My gunsmith recomended me a NightForce.

Txhillbilly, what do you mean when you say focal plane (first and second)? What is zero stops?
For Target shooting,there is really no need in having an Illuminated reticle.The only real use that I have for them is when we hunt hogs/coyotes at night,they come in very handy then.

NightForce is a very good scope,and if it's within your budget I'd say get one.You won't be disappointed with it.

Positive Zero stops have become very popular in Target/Tactical style scopes.They allow you to set your zero on your turrets,and then you can return to your zero setting on your scope very fast after you have turned your turrets to shoot at farther range shots.
Example-You set your zero at 100 yards,and then dial the turrets up to shoot at 600 yards.After you shoot,you can just turn the turrets back to the positive stop,and you'll be back at your 100 yard zero point.
Without this positive stop,you have to remember how many clicks you have turned the turrets to return to your original zero.

While a simple crosshair will work for you,most prefer a Mil-dot or any of the newer variants of the Mil-dot reticle for target/long range shooting.They take all the guessing out with having many reference points for calculating range/windage due to wind and weather conditions.You can adjust your aiming point without turning the turrets,if you understand how to use the different reference points of the reticle.

First Focal Plane reticles grow in size with the target image when you turn up the magnification of the scope.
Second Focal Plane reticles remain the same size at any magnification,only the target image changes.
It's all whatever the shooter prefers.I have both styles,and really don't have a preference on FFP/SFP reticles.