High quality scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > High quality scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default High quality scope

After weeks of reading and talking with others rifleman I already bought the Rem 700P .308win. Now Im considering to buy a high quality scope between $1200 may be a bushnell or leupold. I dont know nothing about scope and rifle so I need a sincere recomendation I dont want to spend money on something to then be regretful. The purpose of the scope will be precision target shooting for 100 to 600yds. I want if is posible a brief explanation of scopes. Thank you in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #2

I notice that there is a optics & accesories forum for this theme. If a moderator can change the post to his proper forum will be appropiate.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2725 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1388

Sibil,

I would suggest the Leupold MKIII 30MM Tube 3.5X10 Illuminated Reticle . It is in your price range. And I will tell you once you ever use a 30MM Tube Scope you will not want to go back to the 1". Just lets a whole lot more light in and better view. Check one out! You will need the standard scope base and medium height 30MM Rings. That would make you one fine outfit!
Let us know what you get and send us some pics!03

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #4

Liked 281 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Heres a great site to get some info on scopes-http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

Some of this is old info and prices maybe not be right with a few scopes added and some not avaible now. But gives you the knowledge to pick your own. Then go to SWFA for everthing avalible in scopes-http://swfa.com/Riflescopes-C1443.aspx

Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6572 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 6214

Leupold and Nikon both have excellent scopes in that price range. There may be others as well, but I have extensive personal experience with both Leupold and Nikon, and I've never been disappointed..

As was said earlier, be sure to get a 30 MM tube and a lighted reticle. I would also recommend a 50 MM objective lens.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If it is for target only, and will be shot from the bench, then the more power the better. I have bought nothing but Leupold scopes for about 20 years now and highly recomand them. If there is a chance that you will ever want to hunt with this gun then I would recomand something else, depending on what you might want to hunt.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6572 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 6214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
If it is for target only, and will be shot from the bench, then the more power the better. I have bought nothing but Leupold scopes for about 20 years now and highly recomand them. If there is a chance that you will ever want to hunt with this gun then I would recomand something else, depending on what you might want to hunt.
I'm curious/ Why would not his Remington be a near ideal hunting rifle???

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 09-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #8

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

8-32x56mm Sightron SIII http://swfa.com/Sightron-8-32x56-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P48422.aspx

I got one for my F-Class rifle build. I will put it up next to any thing Leupold.

Last edited by gunnut07; 09-24-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

With a $1200 budget,there are plenty of scope choices that are available.
If your just planning on target shooting with this rifle,and not hunting,I'd also suggest going with higher magnification scope than a 3.5-10x.A 6-24x or similar magnification scope would work better for target work.

It really depends on what kind of Bell's and Whistle's your looking for in optics.
What focal plane do you want? First Focal Plane or Second.
With a FFP,the reticle grows with magnification,With SFP only the target does,the reticle remains the same at all powers.

What type of Reticle do you want? There are many to choose from,but not everyone offers the same reticles.

Some brands have Zero stops,Illuminated reticles,and other things that are nice to have if you want them,but really aren't needed.

Brands that I'd look at would be-
Sightron SIII-I have 5 of these scopes.They are one of the best bangs for the buck going.
Vortex Viper PST-They have some great features,but the glass isn't as clear as the Sightron SIII at higher magnifications.
Nightforce-Great scopes,they're a little heavy,but excellent scopes.
IOR Valdada-Another excellent scope,great glass.
Weaver Tactical-The glass will run with the best of them,nice scopes for the price.
Zeiss Conquest-Some of the brightest/clearest glass out there.They just lack adjustability with a 1" tube.
SWFA Tactical-I've never looked thru one,but they have great reviews.
Minox ZA 5-You can't beat Schott glass from Germany,but these are more of a hunting style scope.Not many reticles to choose from,but for the price they're worth a look.I looked thru one on a guy's 375 H&H last week.It made my Swarovski PH look cheap.
Burris-Bushnell-Nikon-Leupold-They all make decent scopes,I just wouldn't spend my money on them with all the other scopes that blow them out of the water,today.

Some of the brands listed cost a little more than $1200,but for a little more you can get some great optics.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #10

What are the advantage of the ilumm. reticle? I was considering a simple crosshair. My gunsmith recomended me a NightForce.

Txhillbilly, what do you mean when you say focal plane (first and second)? What is zero stops?