Are High priced Scopes worth it?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Are High priced Scopes worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Are High priced Scopes worth it?

Whats the cost to hold Zero... will a med priced scope hold zero just as a very expensive scope or is the rings on your scope more important then the scope or both... this is a buck shot Q... and take it as you shoot it.... OK the Story... Paul and I Go to White Swan... every once in a while... We call it white swamp.... the Rockys are nice to took at ... Hell to hunt in. Elk is opened six or better and even in rutt, but we had a Goat thing on the mind and where taking it.... to make a long story short the goat lived but us and the rifles and scopes took a real timex commercial..... to this day I pick up the rifle and look at that very EX scope ... chips taken out of the glass running right down the center still good scope but worth from thousands..... to chump change...by the looks. I know people that get stressed if their rifle falls over in camp...... your thoughts.

Last edited by Rant; 12-25-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

depends on what its on and what abuse your gonna put it to.

for example this year i took my RRA 458 socom with nikon african monarch scope and my rem 700 .308 xcr compact tactical with leupold mk4 MRT m1 4.5x14milldot deer hunting.

both hold zero on just driving to ranges and back in my transam or truck just fine. both work very well holding zero shot after shot.

the difference in holding zero reared its head when using an atv 4wheeler. the nikon i couldnt keep zero'd the leupold held up just fine. the vibrations from the 4 wheeler was just too much for the nikon. the leupold held perfect zero.

it just depends on your intended use.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-25-2010, 02:21 AM   #3

OK.... So lets get every one in on this what is the best zero holding scope.... for the Buck? This is very interesting to me .... We may go back to white swamp in 2011... do I have to spend big bucks to hold zero... or is the old saying goes, you pay for what you get ? I would like to take a new scope or scopes thanks for your thoughts.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:44 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

atv vibration isnt typical. i think my mistake was setting the 458 in the atv's rifle holders.

one of the best scopes i had was an old el paso tx weaver k4 (might be k12 not sure) 4x scope i bought for my winchester mod 70 african express in 458 win mag. i zeroed once sometime in 1988 and it held zero perfectly until early 2009 when the cross hairs finally broke due to thousands of rounds of big bore due to recoil. i paid i think 20$ for it used. best damn scope i ever had.

not all cheap scopes are bad not all pricey scopes are good. mleage varies.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-25-2010 at 02:48 AM.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:30 AM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Check with the scope mfg. It may be able to be repaired. Some even warranty against damage. Otherwise they repair it for the cost of a cheaper scope.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:30 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.I have scopes that run the entire spectrum from a couple BSA Sweet 22's on rimfires to a Swarovski Pro Hunter on a 300WM.
You can not only tell the differences in the quality of the glass/coatings used,but also the tracking and ability to hold zero between the classes of optics.

Like JonM said not all has to do with the price.But in general,you will get a better scope if it is from a better manufacturer.
One of my buying points is what real world warranty does the company have.If you have a problem,and then have to jump through hoops to get the manufacturer to honor their warranty,then what does that say about their product.

If you are hard on your equipment,whether it is in being used or transported,then I'd try to find out how other owners of the same type of equipment holds up to their abuse,and also what the mfg's have done about warranty issues.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:31 AM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Jon thenm old El Paso weavers are the skizzle to my nizzle.

That are the best zero holding scopes.

March
S&B
Leupold
nightforce (one took a 7.62x39 to the main tube and stilled worked just fine)
Ziess
US Optics
Premier Reticles
IOR
Sightron SIII
Swarovski
Aimpoint
EO Tech

Old 12-25-2010, 03:39 AM   #8

J ... you keep talking about the 458... very interesting.... When I was young my first rifle was a 3006... and it was a fine rifle .... one day I went to osoyoos and there was a old czech that sold Brno 375 and 458... and as kids we came and went . Then I got some money together and went down and got a 375.... Well I shot it...... my eyes opened and my jew droped ... the hitting power was out of this world! and the range between the 3006 and the 375... not much......absolutly drop the 30 and pick the hh hands down. I was in love with that rifle. And boy did it shoot.... but all the bluing fell off because it was never realy blued.... if you ever had an old brno.... So I could never take it out... other then Africa.... it would rust. One day I heard an old gun collecter was going out of BIZZ... I had a few bucks....... and I was thinken... Lets get the old Brno a mate... and see what he had... iff any.... So I went to his bunker.... and ... let me tell you he had a bunker.... so we got into talking and I said do you have 375 HH?... He said yes it was in a Win.......But He said are you looking for a big Bore.... And I have one that NO one will buy... Give you a super.... super deal on it.... A rem mag in a 458! So I picked it up...mmmmmmmmmmmm Light as a feather.. thinken this cant be a 458.. looked down the barrel.... YA 458... the action as smooth as glass...He gave me a 458..went in like mothers milk, and to the shoulder... priceless... I asked him how much... 500... bucks.. and that was in 1997. this gun comes with me all the time other then long shots... but I see Rem does not offer a 458 .

Last edited by Rant; 12-25-2010 at 04:49 AM.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:48 AM   #9

Thanks C.... I see you feel mARCH AND S&b SCOPES ARE THE BEST HOLDING ....SORRY NEVER HEAR OF THEM FOR HUNTING CAN YOU CLUE ME in?

Old 12-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

the 458 winmag is my most favorite hunting round for many years. peeps would laugh at me using a elephant cartridge on whitetail in texas. they would then roll out to their stands with their 7mm mags and such... i wasnt the one chasing those damn things through rattlesnake infested cactus patches either. send a 350grn bullet at 2600fps through the heart lungs it drops where it stands. all the shoulder meat intact.

when i heard about the 458 socom i had to get one.

my winchester model 70 458 winmag is almost pristine. its got one small ding on the barrel at the muzzle where an ass-clown acquantance of mine dropped it trying it out. other than that it looks brand new for a rifle thats had several thousand rounds down range over 20+ years.

ive been keeping my eye out for another el paso weaver k4 with german post reticle.
i would have it repired if there was someone that could do it and make it as good as it used to be.

Last edited by JonM; 12-25-2010 at 03:58 AM.