Help uninstalling scope; adding iron sights
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Help uninstalling scope; adding iron sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help uninstalling scope; adding iron sights

Hello. Since I am in my mid-teens, I am still at a relatively young age and do not know a whole lot about guns. My dad, however, has a pellet gun he got when he was 13 years old and it is a relatively nice gun. The only problem is that the part of the scope on the end of the barrel and the long part of the scope near the front broke off:

So basically, all that is left of the scope structure is the tiny adjustable wheel in the middle of everything [right when the wood ends]

Enough of all this small talk, I basically want to uninstall that tiny scope structure and add in some iron sights. How easy would this be to do without professional help? And how would I go about adding iron sights on?

The gun is a Winchester Model 425 and I think it is an uncommon gun to find. If this topic is in the wrong board please mods, move or redirect it into the correct one.

Last edited by Humancacher; 06-04-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8877 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

OK- I am a little confused. If the rifle in the photo is the one in question, it already has iron sights- rear sight is in front of the scope.

You may be better off replacing the damaged scope. Air rifles use special scopes because the recoil is reversed- due to movement of piston inside rifle. Most sporting good departments will have a decent air rifle scope for under $50. Most will come with their own mount- requires only a good screwdriver to attach if the receiver has 2 parallel grooves on top.

However, if I missed the boat completely, let me know. If that is not the rifle in question, post again.

You might also ask here: AirGunForum

Last edited by c3shooter; 06-04-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:07 AM   #3

I am sorry for the confusion c3shooter. I am away from my home right now but as soon as I get back tomorrow I will take a picture of the gun to help further explain things. Thanks for the information you provided, however.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:57 AM   #4

Alright, here are three pictures:

1) Gun overview.
2) The part I want to remove [sorry for the blurriness]
3) As you can see, no sights.

Any other questions I will be glad to answer.

1)

2)

3)

Old 06-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #5

Default sights

you have a rear sight.the gun is perhaps a chinese made gun Win did not make air guns.whats wrong with the scope? that wheel at end of wood is the rear sight.maybe you dont know whats wrong with schope it may be fine.look thru it

Last edited by WILDCATT; 06-20-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8877 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

These were made for Winchester in Germany- I THINK the actual maker may have been Diana- and were very good quality rifles.

As Wildcatt said- you have a rear sight- front sight is missing. If you check on some of the air rifle forums, you may be able to find a replacement (they are removable)

The sight you have IS what is known as "iron sights"- meaning without glass. You MAY be thinking of a peep sight- rear sight is close to the eye, has a tiny hole in it. Would require services of a gunsmith- drilling and tapping screw holes in metal.

Your cheapest route would be to add a telescopic sight- a scope. Visit sporting goods dept at WalMart- or visit your neighbnorhood gun shop. You are looking for an AIR RIFLE scope. On the top of the rifle in the area above the trigger, there is a raised slab of metal, maybe 3/4 of an inch wide- with undercut edges. THAT is what the scope mounts to. the scope mount has little claws that grab the edge of that slab, and hook under the edge.

Some info on your rifle-http://books.google.com/books?id=T-Irz4qHwsQC&pg=PA178&lpg=PA178&dq=Winchester+Model+ 425+scope&source=bl&ots=-YbTWEm6Ma&sig=GL1UTq_1MQZVU2czo_1skls5_8c&hl=en&ei =JiI-SpXwCMqEtwe29MkC&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&res num=4