Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Help?! Scope info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default Help?! Scope info

I just found a falcon menace 4-14x44 FFP 30mm, never have heard of falcon it's 349.99. Is it junk? Is the glass good? Is it worth the money? Do any of you have one? What's your thought on them?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2133 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Pyne,

I had read the following about them on Shooting Forum some time back. What I did observe first of all an IOR Scope in 30MM Tube is failry large although being a fantastic scope and a little pricy compaired to what price you mentioned. But the Falcon Menance dwarfed the IOR! But the main point of interest was the below comment from one owner. If the adjustments are in fact off the tracking and return to exact zero if adjusted! If anyone has one I would be interested if they would do a tracking drill. This is done by using or making a target that has precise "1 inch squares" (1 MOA) on the target with a small 1 Inch bullseye in the center of the Center Square. (4 Inch Squares to the Right of the Center Bullseye Square and 4 Inch Squares to the Left of the Bullseye Square. Also 4 Squares above the Center Bullseye Square and 4 Sqaures below! Then What you do, is once the rifle is precisely zeroed at 100 yards, *Step #1 Fire one shot dead center on the Bullseye. *Step #2: Then adjust the scope UP 2 MOA -" 2 In." or 8 Clicks with a 1/4 in. adjustment Scope. *Step #3: then Right 3 MOA Step #4 then Down 5 MOA [SIZE="3"]Step [/SIZE]#5 then Left 3 MOA and finally Step #6 Up 3 MOA. If the scope tracks correctly and the adjustments are accurate you should be back dead center in the Center of the Bullseye. Good scopes will do this. Poor scopes will not!
You can shoot a shot at each adjustment or just adjust the scope through the process and take a second shot. Your choice on this! Limiting to 2 shots would probably be "Best" due to the fact some rifles migh be effected by fouling or multiple rounds.
Here is the Post from the other forum:

Quote:
I did confirm my only real complaint so far: The click value of the turrets is off ever so slightly. About 3%. It takes only 97 clicks to go 10 Mils.

It's a small enough error 99.9% of users would never notice; as much as I and others tell people they should always measure to be sure I know very few ever actually do. This is why you do.

So that's the only actual disappointment I've noticed so far. It's no problem if only used on one rifle, a couple strokes in the ballistic program will correct for it and it's close enough to the reticle that it can be ignored for anything I use the reticle for (wind holds, hold over/under modest amounts, etc).

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 01-10-2014 at 03:19 PM.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 01-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #3

That's exactly what I was hoping to find I was hoping someone did a tracking job and showed the results. I'm seriously considering buying one here soon if I do I'll do a big review on it. Hopefully someone comes on here that has one.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #4

That's exactly what I was hoping to find I was hoping someone did a tracking job and showed the results. I'm seriously considering buying one here soon if I do I'll do a big review on it. Hopefully someone comes on here that has one.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Pyne,

I had read the following about them on Shooting Forum some time back. What I did observe first of all an IOR Scope in 30MM Tube is failry large although being a fantastic scope and a little pricy compaired to what price you mentioned. But the Falcon Menance dwarfed the IOR! But the main point of interest was the below comment from one owner. If the adjustments are in fact off the tracking and return to exact zero if adjusted! If anyone has one I would be interested if they would do a tracking drill. This is done by using or making a target that has precise "1 inch squares" (1 MOA) on the target with a small 1 Inch bullseye in the center of the Center Square. (4 Inch Squares to the Right of the Center Bullseye Square and 4 Inch Squares to the Left of the Bullseye Square. Also 4 Squares above the Center Bullseye Square and 4 Sqaures below! Then What you do, is once the rifle is precisely zeroed at 100 yards, *Step #1 Fire one shot dead center on the Bullseye. *Step #2: Then adjust the scope UP 2 MOA -" 2 In." or 8 Clicks with a 1/4 in. adjustment Scope. *Step #3: then Right 3 MOA Step #4 then Down 5 MOA [SIZE="3"]Step [/SIZE]#5 then Left 3 MOA and finally Step #6 Up 3 MOA. If the scope tracks correctly and the adjustments are accurate you should be back dead center in the Center of the Bullseye. Good scopes will do this. Poor scopes will not!
You can shoot a shot at each adjustment or just adjust the scope through the process and take a second shot. Your choice on this! Limiting to 2 shots would probably be "Best" due to the fact some rifles migh be effected by fouling or multiple rounds.
Here is the Post from the other forum:

Quote:
I did confirm my only real complaint so far: The click value of the turrets is off ever so slightly. About 3%. It takes only 97 clicks to go 10 Mils.

It's a small enough error 99.9% of users would never notice; as much as I and others tell people they should always measure to be sure I know very few ever actually do. This is why you do.

So that's the only actual disappointment I've noticed so far. It's no problem if only used on one rifle, a couple strokes in the ballistic program will correct for it and it's close enough to the reticle that it can be ignored for anything I use the reticle for (wind holds, hold over/under modest amounts, etc).

thats a good test but i go a bit further i do 8 moa firing a 3 round group in each corner plus center at the start and center at the end.

to eliminate fouling errors and heat errors do some fouling shots then pace yourself and lett he rifle cool for each 3 shot group. takes a lot longer but its a better harsher test. ive found some scopes will track true until you shoot with them mounted... some will track true for a few moa but have a much harder time tracking true with larger values.

if you want to give it a really good test use the max elevation you expect to ever use in the field or range and test with those values. i get rid of optics that cant pass that test or relagate them to plinker status meaning they only get used as a range toy.

some optics like the acog have a very hard time tracking true or replicating clicks because they are designed to be adjusted in the field and the shooter is supposed to use the bdc. not all optics need to have good tracking if they have a usable bdc.

depend on the optic.

never heard of the brand the op brings up

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

John_Deer Likes This 
Old 01-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1349 Times on 916 Posts
Likes Given: 459

For $349 you can get some nice scopes that are proven winners. I have seen 50 mm Baraska scopes marked at $300 plus but that doesn't make it a great scope. I would do some more research to see who actually manufactures the scope.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-13-2014, 04:47 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You might want to compare the Falcon to this Primary Arms.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/10/foghorn/gear-review-primary-arms-4-14x44-mil-dot-ffp-scope/
It appears to be the identical scope other than the name on the side. Hard to tell which one has the best value/price. Maybe PA is a factory second, or Falcon is marked up because it comes thru England (still made in China.)

I hit it...didn't I?

Old 01-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1660 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 529

http://www.snipercentral.com/menace4.htm
I have never seen one but I googled this.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #9

Liked 1109 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 1980

They look pretty similar other than the Falcon is 1/4" MOA and the PA is 1/10 MOA . I have had really good luck with PA stuff and they back their warranty stuff . I had a Micro dot peter out on me, made the call and I had a new one is 4 days . Just wish PA made the FFP scope in a 6-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
You might want to compare the Falcon to this Primary Arms.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/10/foghorn/gear-review-primary-arms-4-14x44-mil-dot-ffp-scope/
It appears to be the identical scope other than the name on the side. Hard to tell which one has the best value/price. Maybe PA is a factory second, or Falcon is marked up because it comes thru England (still made in China.)

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 01-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #10

But the primary arms doesn't have a illuminated mil mil scope, there's is Moa turrets mill reticle. The falcon is mil mil illuminated.