Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Help with a scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Look at where made

I have a 7mm mag Ruger that I put a wood stock on and now it recoils less than any of my 30-06. The scope is an older Bushnell Banner 3-9x40. The older Bushnell is made in Japan using German optics. There is a BL in an oval near the eye end piece. Even the new scopes are made in China. Just look out and get something made where quality still matters like USA, Japan, Germany. Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold most all companies have optics made in China so buyer be ware. Generally you get what you pay for, just look at where that particular scope was made.
Best of luck

Old 11-06-2010, 04:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott92 View Post
Alright so im going with the 3x9 but does anyone know any other scope besides the Nikon Bushmaster that has the Bullet Drop Compensator? thanks
PFI and Zeiss, both work fine in my experience.

MIL/LE
U.S. Optics
chad@usoptics.com

Old 11-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5243 Times on 2734 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomill View Post
I have a 7mm mag Ruger that I put a wood stock on and now it recoils less than any of my 30-06. The scope is an older Bushnell Banner 3-9x40. The older Bushnell is made in Japan using German optics. There is a BL in an oval near the eye end piece. Even the new scopes are made in China. Just look out and get something made where quality still matters like USA, Japan, Germany. Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold most all companies have optics made in China so buyer be ware. Generally you get what you pay for, just look at where that particular scope was made.
Best of luck
there isnt a us based lens maker anymore. all scope lens come from foreign nations. just look through one that you think ya like. a good optic doesnt care what the colour of the hands are that made it.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
there isnt a us based lens maker anymore. all scope lens come from foreign nations. -
Are you speaking of the lens or glass? Two different things.

MIL/LE
U.S. Optics
chad@usoptics.com

Old 11-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Just look out and get something made where quality still matters like USA, Japan, Germany. Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold most all companies have optics made in China so buyer be ware.
IOR Swarofski, S&B all use glass from a few different vendors. They look for the properties they want in glass then find the company making it and order that glass.

Sorry Nikon and bushnell are not using Chinese glass unless it is in the bottom of the line scopes. If you get a nikon monarch your getting japan or Philippians glass.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The Cabela brand scope I have in a 1" tube (Alaskan Guide series) was made in Japan and is a pretty nice scope. Purchased and returned (plus one under warranty) their 30 mm tube Alaskan Guide, those were made in China and were terrible scopes.Was a waste of ammo trying to sight in the 30mm scopes. I was amazed they put their name on total junk. Also their poor packaging in shipping did not help them out any either. If the 1" scopes are still made by the same manufacture they are a good value.