Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Help with a scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help with a scope?

Ok so im purchasing a 7mm Rem Mag, but the whole scope thing has me confused. For example the power and what not. 3-9, 4-12, and 6-18. What does this mean. Sorry im not too smart about the scopes. But otherwise than that i have found 3 scopes, Nikon Buckmasters series, Leupold Ultralight Riflescopes, and Leupold Fixed Power Riflescope... Any good news on any of these? thanks and responses would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2010, 05:32 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

A good buddy of mine has a 7mm Mag and I've shot it but I have no idea about its effective range. I do know that it's a fun rifle to shoot.

As far as scope brands go, I'm partial to Nikons. I think they give excellent value for the money. I'm not knocking the others, I just don't have any experience with them.

Here's a really good explanation of riflescopes on optics planet, just click on the link: How to choose a Riflescope - Rifle Scope Experts Guide to firearm optcs - Rifle scopes do's & don'ts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default A 3x9x44 or 3x9 by 44...

Scope like the Simmons scopes Pop has on his .308 Interarms dual trigger
Mauser rifle with the Mannlicher stock & my (also) 1981 .308 Win chambered
Winchester mdl 70 xtr rifle have "see-thru" mounts to allow use of the iron
sights, under the scope. The 3x9 refers to the variable setting like on a pair
of binoculars with the aid of a simmilar "thumbknob" & the "44" refers to the
metric size of the objective lenz, (in our case our scopes have a 44 millimeter
lenz). To make this "combo" work over 10 years ago we had to do a little
gunsmithing work to allow for the use of the iron sights even with the "see
thru mounts" by adding a 1/4"/ 6mm spacer to the scope mounts. The results
have been very effective as our dogs get to eat as much (if not more deer
meat than we do)! We have been "spoiled" by Elk meat & have not shot a
deer in 2 seasons!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

The power is easy once it is explained.

3-9x or 6-24x this is how many times the optics magnify the image. 3-9x starts with an image magnified 3 times and it zooms to magnifying the image 9 times larger than you would see it with the naked eye.

The last number is the size of the objective lens. That objective lens is the lens on the end of the scope furtherest away from your eye. See images below.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm a 7mm Mag. shooter too and the size / type of scope you get for it will depend somewhat on the type of shooting / hunting you plan to do. 7mm Mag. is ballistically capable of easily making shots at 800-1,000 yards. For that type of range you would want a very high power magnification somewhere around 24 to 32 power on the high end. An adjustable power scope with lower settings would be desirable also for closer shots not needing so much magnification.

I don't usually make any shots over 200 yards so 3 to 9 power magnification is plenty for me. I would feel plenty comfortable using my 3 X 9 X 40 scope out to 400 yards.

The last number listed in scopes is the the objective size. Generally speaking the larger the objective size, the better the scope's light gathering capability. This feature is very helpful when hunting in low light conditions like at dawn an dusk. The brighter the scope, the better you'll be able to see your target. Larger objective scopes require higher scope rings to allow the bell to clear the barrel when mounted.

Because 7mm Mag. has a fairly stout recoil, you'll also want to get a good sturdy scope built for the large calibers. Going cheap probably won't be a good idea for 7mm Mag.. Same goes for rings, some good steel ones will probably be what you want. Don't trust any rings that come with the scope package either. Generally they are not the best quality.

Good luck choosing your scope!

Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I traded off my old ruger M77 7 mag this summer for a Blackhawk .45 convertable revolver. Purchased a new 7 mag in a Ruger Hawkeye stainless version, Rugers come with very good strong factory rings, and put a Leupold 30 mm tube European 3x9 50mm objective on it (had to change ring sizes with Ruger-which they do no charge to do). Using it for deer/elk hunting I need a good light gathering scope more than extreme magnification. The European is a little funky as it is a metric scope, but once it is zeroed at 200 yards, I leave my scope be. Got a great deal on it at Optic Planet, but see now Leupold offers a 30 mm tube similar scope in a USA version. It is a pretty nice hunting set up under $1000.00.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #7

Alright so im going with the 3x9 but does anyone know any other scope besides the Nikon Bushmaster that has the Bullet Drop Compensator? thanks

Old 11-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #8

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 has BDC.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Good advice...

But, Pop & I did not need a "visual aid" for close shots under 200 yards & pop
made his first kill with a scope in 2005 & I made my first kill with a scope in
2008! But, now age has caught up with us & some shots require magnification
to to verify the species! I could have harvested a very large whitetail buck
this season...but, it was not an elk & we + the dogs have not consumed the
deer meat harvested yet!

Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #10

Liked 696 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Forget the BDC. When you hit serious distance all that crap clutters your view. I use a 2-10x38mm Weaver. 400 yards is just stretching its legs. You can't rely on your BDC or any BDC. If I wanted a serious scope, Big money and dead nuts. Have one camed to the bullet weight you use. All the crap and clutter they charge for now is stupid. I'll take a 1937 Ajack for a 156gr 6.5x55 or 196gr 8x57 any day.

Edit: The Weaver is on a 7mm Rem Mag. 800 to 1000 yards is not realistic at hunting ranges.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 11-05-2010 at 01:32 AM.