Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Help with a Mil-Dot Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help with a Mil-Dot Scope

ive trying to under stand mill dots and how to use them the Question i have is what power do you set your scope at. I suspect its the lowest power but it dose not say in any of the info ive seen thanks.b

let no talents go unused

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2010, 02:40 AM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfireart View Post
ive trying to under stand mill dots and how to use them the Question i have is what power do you set your scope at. I suspect its the lowest power but it dose not say in any of the info ive seen thanks.b
This may help;
Mil-dots and Minutes-of-angle - From a Technical Perspective

Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 AM   #3

Liked 300 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Heres a technical page from Primier Reticles. It is primairly explaining the use of their reitcles, however there is some good info here regarding MOA and Mills in this publication. Also in there is some basic info on how mills are used in general for most any mill dot scope.

http://premierreticles.com/pdfs/2009-HowToGen2.pdf

When it comes to magnification power of your scope it's pretty much user preference. I, for example, have the Premier Reticles 5-25X56mm scope and I find that I pretty much use the power range of about 16 to 18 to about 600 yards. Beyond 600 yards I may crank up the magnification power to 21 or 22. Not that I'm looking at the power indicator markings on the scope when I'm using it but afterwards thats where the level of magnifications has ended up most of the time. As you increase magnification you will see more of the boils or mirage in the air which can distort the target and its surroundings somewhat. Actually this mirage effect along with reading the wind can aid in determining amount of windage deflection to compensate for, but mostly for those long range shots beyond 600 yards.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:43 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Are you asking which power to set your scope to, in order to use the mil dots for ranging?

If so, each SFP (Second Focal Plane) scope has its own setting.

With an FFP (First Focal Plane) the mil dots work at any magnification.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #5

Liked 300 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 26

OOOOps! FFP and SFP slipped by me.

Here's a little more info on FFP and SFP scopes.

http://premierreticles.com/pdfs/2009-HowToFFP-SFP.pdf

Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Some scopes, the Nikon comes to mind, have certain setting that makes the mil-dot read correctly. Typically it is in the middle. A 6x-24X scope will have the mill-dot at 12x. That leaves a multiplier of 2 for 6x, and a multiplier of 1/2, for 24x. The standard number is typically denoted with a color different from the other zoom numbers, like the 12x will be red, and others white.

I bought my first and only FFP scope for my last build, and it was expensive. After using it, I can truly see the value. As a bonus the windage and elevation adjustments were .1mil instead of the customary .25MOA.

Last edited by IXLR8; 10-20-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
Some scopes, the Nikon comes to mind, have certain setting that makes the mil-dot read correctly. Typically it is in the middle. A 6x-24X scope will have the mill-dot at 12x. That leaves a multiplier of 2 for 6x, and a multiplier of 1/2, for 24x. The standard number is typically denoted with a color different from the other zoom numbers, like the 12x will be red, and others white.

I bought my first and only FFP scope for my last build, and it was expensive. After using it, I can truly see the value. As a bonus the windage and elevation adjustments were .1mil instead of the customary .25mil.
Slight correction here, this would be the customary .25MOA, not .25Mil.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You are correct about the MOA, with a standard scope.

With an FFP scope 3.375 MIL= 1 MOA at any magnification. At low zoom levels the mil-dots are close together. At maximum zoom they are far apart, but still 1 mil at both extremes. However the adjustments are in .1mil increments. This makes adjustments for distance and elevation easier.

With 2nd FP scope the mil-dots are the same size at every magnification, from the perspective of the shooter. The adjustments are in MOA which change in size depending on the distance.

With a mil-dot scope distance can be calculated from items of a known size, by counting the dots. Mil-dot scopes were originally only on fixed magnification scopes, which did not pose a scaling problem.

FYI
The practical form of this that is easy to remember is: 1 mil at 1 km = 1 metre

To determine the distance to a target of known size: (Distance in yards) = 1000 / 36 x (Object size in inches) / Mils

Old 10-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #9

I recently bought a Tasco 2-6x32 Mildot scope.

The formula in their instruction sheet has me puzzled. Can anyone comment on why they would suggest to multiply by 333 instead of 1000?

Instruction sheet:
(Height in metre x 333) / mils read = Distance in metre

Everywhere on the web this formula is expressed as:
(Height x 1000) / mils read = Distance

It's as if this scope has its dots differently spaced and not like true mildot???

Anyone?

Thanks.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave79 View Post
I recently bought a Tasco 2-6x32 Mildot scope.

The formula in their instruction sheet has me puzzled. Can anyone comment on why they would suggest to multiply by 333 instead of 1000?

Instruction sheet:
(Height in metre x 333) / mils read = Distance in metre

Everywhere on the web this formula is expressed as:
(Height x 1000) / mils read = Distance

It's as if this scope has its dots differently spaced and not like true mildot???

Anyone?

Thanks.
I think:

It is a second focal plane scope and the reticle was designed to be correct at 2x(use the normal ranging formula). At 6x the needed correction is 333(the target gets larger by a value of 3x so they decrease the constant(1000) by 3) .

MIL/LE
U.S. Optics
chad@usoptics.com