Help me pick a scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Help me pick a scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help me pick a scope

I just acquired a nice Remington 700 BDL in .270 win, but it's scopeless! I'll be using the rifle for elk hunting in mostly heavy timber, with some open plains, no more than 200 yards, most shots less than 100 yards.

I did some research and narrowed my choices down to four scopes, but now I can't decide which would be best. Here's the links:

Weaver 3-9x40 40/44 Rifle Scope

Nikon 3-9x40 ProStaff Riflescope

Leupold 3-9x40 VX-I Riflescope

Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 3200 Rifle Scope

I'm leaning more towards the Weaver scope due to the affordability, some of the reviews I've read, and the fact that the rifle already has Weaver rings and mounts on it. But, I don''t have much experience with Weaver, so I was hoping someone could provide more info on it.

The Nikon would be my second choice, but I have NO experience with Nikon.

What scope list would be complete without a Leupold? Love the scope, don't like the price. I'm on a budget here, after all.

The Bushnell I added in for balance, but I doubt I'd choose that one over any of the others.

So there's the list, what do you think? Which would be best for an elk hunting n00b?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #2

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

As for Elk hunting if there is a preference I can't tell you. But In my opinion I would buy those scopes in this order. (I target shoot only)

Bushnell 3200
Luepold
Nikon
Weaver

I have a Nikon Buckmaster and it is a fantastic scope but that's a line above the Prostaff which I don't have any experience with. The Bushnell Elite series are very good scopes for the money. Luepold, I don't think they make a bad scope but you do pay a bit more for the name.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Of the scopes you have listed I would go with the Bushnell or the Nikon over the others with Weaver running a close third.

I would not even touch that Leupold VX-I anything that is not a VX-III or above is JUNK from Leupold. I had a VX-II that cost more than a elite 4200 I had on another rifle. It was not even in the same league as the Bushnell as far as brightness and ease of use. The leupold would change eye relief as you moved the power ring. Not what I want in a scope.

ME I would buy a Baraska before buying a VX-II, VX-I, or rifleman scope from leupold and I HATE Baraska scopes.

If it were me I would save a little more money had just up to the ELite 4200 or Nikon monarch line of scopes or the Weaver Grand Slam or classic series.

Of them I would go with the Weaver then Bushnell then then Nikon.

Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope

Nikon 3-12x42 Monarch Riflescope

MY CHOICE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope

Old 09-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

A little more $$ than what you listed but I wouldn't overlook
Leupold 2-7x33 VX-II Riflescope
Leupold vxII 2-7x33. If you ever read Shooting Times, Layne Simpson called it his all time favorite elk rifle scope. I just put one on my Whelen for black bear.

I would take the leupold out of the four you listed.
I would check out a Swift 3-9 or 4-12 as a cheaper model scope before I'd purchase a nikon,bushnell, or weaver in that price range.
I've owned four swifts and dad/ buddies own probly a dozen more. Very clear, rugged, hold a zero and they used to have over the counter exchange if you ever break one. Dont know if they still do.

Weaver is probably the best out of the other three on your list, but who owns weaver now and will you be able to get warranty service later?
.02---Ken

Old 09-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #5

Well, went to a local hunting supply store this afternoon, and was able to look through three of the four I picked out, plus a few others. Unfortunately, no one had the Weaver scope I was interested in, but the Nikon scope looked the best out of the ones I tried.

I have to admit, the Leupold did seem like a lower quality scope with a higher quality price, so I'll stay away from it. The Bushnell is also ruled out, it felt like a high quality scope, but I hated looking through it.

So now it's down to the Weaver and the Nikon, but I'll only do the Weaver if I can look through one first.

Thanks for everyone's input and opinions, they were very helpful!

Old 09-27-2009, 12:25 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Nikon or weaver you can't go wrong with either. If you like the nikon you will not be disappointed with the quality of their products.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:59 AM   #7

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Of the scopes you have listed I would go with the Bushnell or the Nikon over the others with Weaver running a close third.

I would not even touch that Leupold VX-I anything that is not a VX-III or above is JUNK from Leupold. I had a VX-II that cost more than a elite 4200 I had on another rifle. It was not even in the same league as the Bushnell as far as brightness and ease of use. The leupold would change eye relief as you moved the power ring. Not what I want in a scope.

ME I would buy a Baraska before buying a VX-II, VX-I, or rifleman scope from leupold and I HATE Baraska scopes.

If it were me I would save a little more money had just up to the ELite 4200 or Nikon monarch line of scopes or the Weaver Grand Slam or classic series.

Of them I would go with the Weaver then Bushnell then then Nikon.

Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope

Nikon 3-12x42 Monarch Riflescope

MY CHOICE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope
cp is correct on the Leupold scopes. If you look at Leupold the VXIII or better is the way to go in this brand. However, the price range of these scopes are considerably more than your choices for budget.

I have a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14X40mm LR with the Boone and Crockett hold point reticle as one of my scopes and it is nice and works extremely well but it is a tad on the spendy side.

A Weaver or Bushnell would be a better choice for budget over a VXI or VXII Leupold.