Handgun mounted flashlight vs freehead flashlight. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Handgun mounted flashlight vs freehead flashlight.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

In 20+ years of law enforcement, I was always taught handheld.

Winston Churchill

Old 08-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #12
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I'll take the free head please. Lol
Not a fan of mounted flashlight

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

I stick with Clint Smith. Why not both?

Searching an area however, id use my handheld light. If I'm fighting, im using my light to blind the threat, not just ID

All in all it's a trade off. Do you want a stable shooting platform from a better grip? Do you need to be able to say, open doors? (hard to do with a gun in one hand and a light in the other) or do you need to avoid potentially muzzle sweeping things? I try to avoid this by keeping my weapon at "low ready" since the high intensity beam can light up a room pretty well without direct focus...

That being said, I'm not a fan of going after whatever goes bump In the night. I'd rather get me & mine dug in, and let the threat come to me. I can cut a lot of risks that way...

Old 08-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #14

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCat View Post
I stick with Clint Smith. Why not both?

Searching an area however, id use my handheld light. If I'm fighting, im using my light to blind the threat, not just ID

All in all it's a trade off. Do you want a stable shooting platform from a better grip? Do you need to be able to say, open doors? (hard to do with a gun in one hand and a light in the other) or do you need to avoid potentially muzzle sweeping things? I try to avoid this by keeping my weapon at "low ready" since the high intensity beam can light up a room pretty well without direct focus...

That being said, I'm not a fan of going after whatever goes bump In the night. I'd rather get me & mine dug in, and let the threat come to me. I can cut a lot of risks that way...
Very true. We no longer have kids in the house, so we've got a solid core door to our bedroom with a deadbolt making a pretty good safe room. If anyone comes busting through in spite of our verbal commands, it makes the shoot-don't shoot decision pretty easy. XD-40 w/ Truglow TFOs, flashlight and cell phone within easy reach, of course.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #15
Hdq

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Id use one if i had just woken up id want a pistol with a light i dont want to fumble around looking for one

Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdq View Post
Id use one if i had just woken up id want a pistol with a light i dont want to fumble around looking for one
I think the idea is to leave a flashlight in a designated area all time/every time so you don't have to fumble around looking for one.

The same goes for the cell phone and your firearm.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #17

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
I think the idea is to leave a flashlight in a designated area all time/every time so you don't have to fumble around looking for one.

The same goes for the cell phone and your firearm.
Bingo. On my night stand is my knife, cell phone & flashlight. In the night stand drawer is the boom boom. In the bedroom closet is the big boom boom if needed.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #18

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

You also don't want to train your reaction to a noise to be "snatch a condition 1 pistol from arms reach and draw down"

Cooper colors. You can't go from sleeping (condition white) to any kind of planned measured reaction. You need an act to break the freeze. In my case it's having to unlock my biometric safe.

It takes a fraction of a second, but it requires a little focus.

That little bit can make the difference between getting your head on straight, or accidentally pumping off a shot at your wife who opened the door too quick on the way back from the bathroom...

I'd like to think in case of a home invasion, I'd be aware of the situation long before someone could "burst in my bedroom door"

Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1136 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 660

in the end i think you have to take this as a situation by situation choice. what do you have to do, and what are you able to do. having said this i really like the idea of using both. when a threat is ID'ed you can easily drop or throw the handheld to gain better grip stance while at the same time lighting up the threat. im thinking this is what im going to be using now.... time to re-plan the routine.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCat View Post
You also don't want to train your reaction to a noise to be "snatch a condition 1 pistol from arms reach and draw down"

Cooper colors. You can't go from sleeping (condition white) to any kind of planned measured reaction. You need an act to break the freeze. In my case it's having to unlock my biometric safe.

It takes a fraction of a second, but it requires a little focus.

That little bit can make the difference between getting your head on straight, or accidentally pumping off a shot at your wife who opened the door too quick on the way back from the bathroom...

Excellent point.

I'd like to think in case of a home invasion, I'd be aware of the situation long before someone could "burst in my bedroom door"
It's hard to predict at what point one might become aware of a home invasion. My point was only that if I find myself in an armed confrontation, I'd rather be shooting from cover at someone breaking down my door than clearing a house or room.