Handgun mounted flashlight vs freehead flashlight.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Handgun mounted flashlight vs freehead flashlight.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Handgun mounted flashlight vs freehead flashlight.

So I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on using a mounted flashlight with your handgun as opposed to holding a flashlight with your "weak hand" for tactical purposes? I've heard before, that when sweeping a building for "bad guys" flashlights are used in a flicking manner so the floating light does not give the bad guy a target to shoot at. What are the pros and cons of each in your opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

I use a hand held flashlight. Don't want to point my pistol at anyone before identifying as a friend or foe. but it does make shootin a little harder. But I practice w live ammo because I know it's harder

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #3

Liked 1835 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

Although several of my handguns have rails on them. None of them have anything mounted on them. That is by choice. But this thread has made me realize that I do not have a flashlight in my night stand. I will remedy that right now.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #4

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I use a hand held. Not that I have anything against a rail mounted light.

We keep several lights burning throughout our house at night but not in the bedroom. If someone makes it that far without waking us they will need their eyes to adjust to the pitch black. If we are woken up & the lights we leave on are out but the power is still on, let's just say the sphincter level will be at defcon 5. We have two kids & I will make damn sure of who I fire at.

Let your reps know how you feel about your 2nd Amendment Right.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Old 08-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

flash light not on the firearm. its bad technique to point a loaded gun at a loved one to assess identity or wounds with your adrenaline going 5000% overdrive. one twitch and you have an injured or dead relative.

just my opinion

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree with handheld vs. gun mounted due to safety. better to identify first then shoot. if a person was to awaken to a strange noise in the house, then as JonM said, adrenaline will definately be flowing. what if it were one of the teenagers coming home late at night and they make a huge noise getting to their bedroom? could end badly. personally i like several night lights on so the house is not entirely dark. and i use a powerful but small flashlight.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So now I have to ask, what is the logical reason/use for such a thing??

Old 08-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I use a gun mounted flashlight, I turn lights on as I clear my house, and call out to the people who should be there. I have also dealt with the adrenaline, and have a great deal of training. I'm not concerned with a negligent discharge due to adrenaline. I compensate some for the adrenaline and loss of fine motor control with a long heavy DA trigger pull. A target intent on harm will engage the flashlight when it comes on, I prefer not to have the delay caused by having gun and light pointed in the different directions. Also, since I don't have a light in my weak hand, I can use the phone, flip light switches, pick up pets, guide family members, and still see what I shoot.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i have to agree with handheld vs. gun mounted due to safety. better to identify first then shoot. if a person was to awaken to a strange noise in the house, then as JonM said, adrenaline will definately be flowing. what if it were one of the teenagers coming home late at night and they make a huge noise getting to their bedroom? could end badly. personally i like several night lights on so the house is not entirely dark. and i use a powerful but small flashlight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
I use a gun mounted flashlight, I turn lights on as I clear my house, and call out to the people who should be there. I have also dealt with the adrenaline, and have a great deal of training. I'm not concerned with a negligent discharge due to adrenaline. I compensate some for the adrenaline and loss of fine motor control with a long heavy DA trigger pull. A target intent on harm will engage the flashlight when it comes on, I prefer not to have the delay caused by having gun and light pointed in the different directions. Also, since I don't have a light in my weak hand, I can use the phone, flip light switches, pick up pets, guide family members, and still see what I shoot.
Yep, there are definitely pluses and minuses in either strategy one chooses. I don't think the experts have a consensus opinion.

The important thing, regardless of the method you adopt, is to train it and be very aware of its limitations and advantages.

I personally prefer the hand-held approach.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 08-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Think about how you would open a door with your light in your free hand. you have to lower your light our pistol one.