a guy is trying to screw me on my optics
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > a guy is trying to screw me on my optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Default a guy is trying to screw me on my optics

On a website i found an aimpoint pro it was almost at retail price but i figured i could buy diectly so i had him ship it. I sent him the money via western union and it was the agreed amount but now he saying he wants more money. He also said if i dnt send it he will call the sheriffs office, now my questipn is what do i do. Ive already sent him what we agreed and if i sent him more id be paying more than retail this doesnt seem right to me so what should i do

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Do you have the product? If so, tell him to go screw. If he hasn't shipped yet, can you put a stop payment on it? Do not send more money period.

I don't need No stinking signature.

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
On a website i found an aimpoint pro it was almost at retail price but i figured i could buy diectly so i had him ship it. I sent him the money via western union and it was the agreed amount but now he saying he wants more money. He also said if i dnt send it he will call the sheriffs office, now my questipn is what do i do. Ive already sent him what we agreed and if i sent him more id be paying more than retail this doesnt seem right to me so what should i do
Is there any way to cancel it and take the money back? Never send money Western UNION a USPS money order gets the feds involved. I would call the police department that is local to him if you know where he is.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #4

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
First off - the Sheriff can't do a damn thing, he is seriously trying to scare you into more money... this is not a criminal matter, the police cannot and will not do a damn thing to you. If anything, he could take you to small claims court, but for him, that'd be a huge hassle...and if he tried, he'd have a hell of a time proving his story unless it's in a contract signed by both party's somewhere...in other words, anyone can sue anyone for anything. I could take you to court and claim that you owe me money...but we both know I don't...but I can STILL take you to court...see the difference? Don't let them scare you man, it's an old tactic mainly used by sleazy collection agencies.

Did you already get the optic?

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 09-07-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
First off - the Sheriff can't do a damn thing, he is seriously trying to scare you into more money... this is not a criminal matter, the police cannot and will not do a damn thing to you. If anything, he could take you to small claims court, but for him, that'd be a huge hassle...and if he tried, he'd have a hell of a time proving his story unless it's in a contract signed by both party's somewhere...in other words, anyone can sue anyone for anything. I could take you to court and claim that you owe me money...but we both know I don't...but I can STILL take you to court...see the difference? Don't let them scare you man, it's an old tactic mainly used by sleazy collection agencies.

How is that my father in law got arrested for doing the exact same thing then?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
How is that my father in law got arrested for doing the exact same thing then?
For doing what? Specificity will be required to illustrate the differences in a crime v.s. something for small claims court. There is no such thing as a debtors prison.

If your father in law purchased something from a website, sent them money, got the item, and then they claimed he owed more money, but had no contract stating so, then he did not get arrested. At least, not for that.

edit to add: Even if there was a contract, he's still not going to be arrested. He will be sued. If he does not respond to the summons to appear, he will not be sued, they will just win by default. If he continues to refuse to pay, and they sue him again for garnishments, THEN he is required to show up to court to assess his ability to pay by the judge, if he refuses to show up then, a bench warrant is issued for his arrest.

But in that case, you're still not being arrested for owing someone money, you'll be arrested for not showing up to a required court appearance.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 09-07-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
For doing what? Specificity will be required to illustrate the differences in a crime v.s. something for small claims court. There is no such thing as a debtors prison.
Sold something from his "business" website, received the money and sent nothing. I'll have to look up the charges but I believe it was a felony theft charge because it was over $1,000 and he pleaded and got probation.

Member:

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Sold something from his "business" website, received the money and sent nothing. I'll have to look up the charges but I believe it was a felony theft charge because it was over $1,000 and he pleaded and got probation.
Oh, i see what you're saying, we were talking about two different things.

Yes, your father in law can be arrested for that, that is scamming, and its' even worse when doing it across state lines (then the feds get involved!!)

What I was telling the OP is that he, the OP, can't be arrested because the guy who sold him the item CLAIMS he didn't get the agreed upon amount.

*IF* the OP already has the optic, then I would wash my hands of the seller, and tell him to piss off. You paid him, he shipped it, if he wanted more money, he should have waited to ship it.

*IF* the OP has not gotten the Optic yet, then yes, absolutely call the sheriff where the guy lives.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop

Yes all i have optic

Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop

Oh, i see what you're saying, we were talking about two different things.

Yes, your father in law can be arrested for that, that is scamming, and its' even worse when doing it across state lines (then the feds get involved!!)

What I was telling the OP is that he, the OP, can't be arrested because the guy who sold him the item CLAIMS he didn't get the agreed upon amount.
Yes it was a guy on armslist, im a little upset about it cause he sent me my mpthers name and adresz along with mine