Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > A great deal on a discontinued scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Default A great deal on a discontinued scope-Updated w/pics

I've been wanting to put some new glass on my Savage 12 - 223 and my RRA Varminter AR15 - 223 for a while,but didn't want to break the bank doing it.
I love Sightron SIII scopes,but coughing up that much for a scope for my 223's isn't what I wanted to do.
When I bought my 458 SOCOM upper,I found a great deal on Weaver Super Slam's,so I bought one.A 3-15x50 with a duplex reticle,I wanted to get a 4-20x50 for one of the 223's but they weren't in stock.When they received more in,the price went up $200,so I turned it down.The Super Slam is a great scope,with excellent glass,and has some neat features not found on other scopes.

I found another deal on Weaver Classic Extreme scopes at Natchez Shooting Supply.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WE&prodI D=WE800709&prodTitle=Weaver 6-24x50 Classic Extreme Riflescope Illuminated German#4 Reticle Matte

The Classic Extreme was replaced by the Super Slam,and although the Extreme doesn't have all the features of the Super Slam,it does have the same great lenses & clarity,side focus,fast free setting Zero turrets,quick focus eye piece,30mm main-tube,illuminated reticle,and great eye relief-4" and Weaver's Lifetime warranty.

This scope retailed for $779.99 when it first came out,and they are on sale for $349.99

I received it late today,and took it out of the box to check it out.It's a good looking scope,but a little on the heavy side at 1.9lbs.The turrets are covered with caps,and when removed the turrets turned firmly,and had nice audible clicks.You can pull up on the turrets,and they free wheel to set zero,and then push them down to lock zero and adjust the turrets.This scope has 1/8" clicks-I prefer 1/4" clicks,but for varmint hunting and target duty this will work fine.
I got the German #4 reticle with this scope,the only other option was the Duplex reticle.I prefer the #4 over the Duplex.

http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/WE800709.jpg

With the sun going down I looked around at different ranges,and at different area's lighted/shaded.The glass in this scope is impressive,very clear and bright at all magnifications.It seemed a little hazy above 20x looking out at about 400yds,but we did just get a couple inches of rain,and the sun warmed things up today,so it could just have been moisture in the air.
I think this is going to be a great scope for the 223's.I can't find the specs on this scope,but I think it has around 60 moa of adjustment.I'll have to check it out,and know for sure.

What I don't like about it-
The way the magnification knob is marked.I shoot left handed,and the marks are on the left side of the tube,so I can't see what I have it set at unless I look around the other side of the scope.
And the knob for the Illuminated reticle only turns one way,so if you want it on the brightest setting you have to crank it all the way around.

Neither of these are major problems,just stuff I dislike.

I'm waiting for my rings to arrive,then I'll get it mounted and do some real testing with it.
Pictures will have to wait til then.

If your wanting a good quality scope,with some nice glass in it for a decent price,you might want to get one of these scopes before they're sold out.
Natchez has several magnification choices to choose from with these scopes.
There are some on ebay,and they're selling for quite a bit more $$$ there.

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 02-22-2012 at 03:51 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

58 views and no responses.Guess you guy's don't like the scope. Oh well!
The UPS truck brought me my rings today,so I mounted the Weaver Classic Extreme on my Savage 12FLVSS 223.

The tree line in the pix are right at 300 yds away,and the cows are about 250-275yds away.The first 3 pixs are at 6x,and the last is on 10x.
Yes,the reticle isn't level in the pix's,I was trying to get it together before the sun went down.It's level now!

I think this is a very good deal,on a nice quality scope.The optical clarity is as good as my Sightron SIII's.

I tried to take some pix's of the Illuminated reticle,but they aren't very good.

http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/1Txhillbilly/Weaver%20Classic%20Extreme%206-24x50/

Old 02-22-2012, 04:14 AM   #3

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
58 views and no responses.Guess you guy's don't like the scope. Oh well!
The UPS truck brought me my rings today,so I mounted the Weaver Classic Extreme on my Savage 12FLVSS 223.

The tree line in the pix are right at 300 yds away,and the cows are about 250-275yds away.The first 3 pixs are at 6x,and the last is on 10x.
Yes,the reticle isn't level in the pix's,I was trying to get it together before the sun went down.It's level now!

I think this is a very good deal,on a nice quality scope.The optical clarity is as good as my Sightron SIII's.

I tried to take some pix's of the Illuminated reticle,but they aren't very good.

http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/1Txhillbilly/Weaver%20Classic%20Extreme%206-24x50/
Oh i saw your post last night but didnt have time to reply. I love ANY weaver scope. I have several includen a 40/44, 2 grandslams and a superslam. I love em all

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #4

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Very nice glass Tx.

Now where can I find tree-fiddy?

I'm going to work on this!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Very nice glass Tx.

Now where can I find tree-fiddy?

I'm going to work on this!
You could sell me your Star to get the money Cane just kiddin since if you did that id have to re-evaluate my opinion on you.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Hey Tx thanks for the heads up on this scope! I'm really considering this over the Monarch especially for $100 savings over the Nikon.

What features does the Super Slam have that the Classic Extreme does not?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 02-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho View Post
Hey Tx thanks for the heads up on this scope! I'm really considering this over the Monarch especially for $100 savings over the Nikon.

What features does the Super Slam have that the Classic Extreme does not?
The Super Slam Turrets are different.They are exposed Tactical style turrets,and they pull up to adjust,and push back down to lock in place.
They have 1" main tubes and are w/o the Illuminated reticle,or you can get the Euro model with a 30mm tube and it has the Illuminated reticle.
They also have the Super Slam Tactical scopes that feature First Focal Plane reticles,but they are pricey,and you can get better FFP scopes for what Weaver's asking for theirs.

Turrets on the Super Slam-

The top of the Turret unscrews,and then you can lift the center piece off and set it to zero once you have it dialed in.-

It's also a more compact scope,and has a 5X magnification range.The one I have is 3-15x.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #8

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Sweet scope Tx and for $350 that's a hell of a good price. Hmmmm. maybe mugging a few unsuspecting ATM'ers is in order

(green color added to indicate sarcasm - I hope it's green .. I'm color blind )

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
The Super Slam Turrets are different.They are exposed Tactical style turrets,and they pull up to adjust,and push back down to lock in place.
They have 1" main tubes and are w/o the Illuminated reticle,or you can get the Euro model with a 30mm tube and it has the Illuminated reticle.
They also have the Super Slam Tactical scopes that feature First Focal Plane reticles,but they are pricey,and you can get better FFP scopes for what Weaver's asking for theirs.

Turrets on the Super Slam-

The top of the Turret unscrews,and then you can lift the center piece off and set it to zero once you have it dialed in.-

It's also a more compact scope,and has a 5X magnification range.The one I have is 3-15x.
Thanks for the info man. Those turrets/scope/rifle look great!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 02-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well,I got all my running around finished today,and was able to shoot the Savage 12 and dial in the Weaver Classic Extreme scope.

I setup my shooting bench here at the house at 100 yards from my target.I was shooting some Hornady 60gr VMax loaded with H335 powder,this load shoots really good out of this rifle,and is a varmints nightmare.
The first shot was about 3" to the right and a 1/2" low.I adjusted the scope left 24 clicks (it's a 1/8" turret),and fired a 2nd shot.It was 1/4" to the right and still 1/2" low,at least the clicks are good to go with this scope.
I adjusted 2 more clicks to the left,and 5 clicks up,and shot a 5 shot group. .339" center to center-Not too shabby!

I then shot 3 more 5 shot groups,and the last group was the best.I took my time on it.

2nd group-

3rd group (left)-4th group on the right. I'm liking the clarity of this scope,and it has all kinds of eye relief.All of the adjustments are true.what more could you ask for in a scope for this kinda price. I think I might have to buy another one for my RRA Varminter 223.

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 02-23-2012 at 12:27 AM.