You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

A Good Scope for a Remi 700 VTR 308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Not exactly true. Many scopes have a focus adjustment feature such as side focus or objective focus to help with parallax.
I was speakin to his Nikon pro-staff 3-9x40, it is exactly true that particular scope does not have any "focus" features other than the eyepiece (ocular).

A parallax adjustment is just that, a way to eliminate any parallax error. When you correct for parallax it does sharpen the image but it would be wrong to say you focus to eliminate the parallax error. Parallax error occurs when the image focal plane is not coincident with the reticle focal plane and yes that can mean it is out of focus. Yes, when you correct for parallax error, the image will be in focus BUT you can have an image in focus and still have the potential for parallax error.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It was the ocular focus that would no longer work, at any distance it was a blurry FOV. No matter what way I would rotate the eyepiece the picture quality wouldn't improve. That's what I meant by it wouldn't focus, sorry for any misunderstandings.

It was a great scope while it worked without a doubt, but after about a year of wear and tear and recoil it just went belly up. I have no qualms about Nikon at all, I'd go back to them in a heartbeat, I just can't find a reasonably priced Monarch. A buddy of mine has the same rifle and he has it mounted with a Monarch and loves it. I'm just leaning more towards the Zeiss because it says it's shockproof and I know the name Zeiss from camera lenses, and they make excellent lenses. But I have to still look into all the ones y'all listed off too, can't count anything out.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxChino13xX View Post
It was the ocular focus that would no longer work, at any distance it was a blurry FOV. No matter what way I would rotate the eyepiece the picture quality wouldn't improve. That's what I meant by it wouldn't focus, sorry for any misunderstandings.
The ocular adjustment will NOT change the image quality, that is not its purpose. The ocular adjustment is ONLY to allow you to focus the reticle to your eye so it is sharp and clear. The FOV will not change regardless how how far in or out the ocular is adjusted.
That scope has no adjustments that will change a fuzzy FOV, the lens are (or should be) fixed. If you have been using the ocular to clear the FOV since it was new then something was wrong with it at that time and the rifle did not cause the problem.

Zeiss has a good rep but I haven't found one any cheaper than a Nikon. I also don't think it is any more "shockproof" than a Nikon, regardless of marketing hype.

Last edited by TCH2FLY; 08-21-2011 at 06:57 PM.