A Good Scope for a Remi 700 VTR 308
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > A Good Scope for a Remi 700 VTR 308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default A Good Scope for a Remi 700 VTR 308

I intend to use it for target shooting only and the range I goto only goes up to 100yds. The scope I've been eyeballing is the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 (i've found it for $399), due to it's "shockproof" design. I've already gone through three scopes, two Leapers and one Nikon Pro-Staff 3-9x40. I've been told to go with a Nikon Monarch and I've also been guided towards the Millet TRS-1 and Nightforce. I'm not looking to go overboard and spend an arm and a leg plus my first born. Anybody have any feedback on the Zeiss?? Good or bad, doesn't matter to me, I'm just looking for honest opinions and hopefully first hand experience.

Like I said it's only for target shooting up to 100yds, it's a .308 Remington 700 VTR (no iron sights, just taps), not looking to break the bank money wise, i'm still saving for a wedding, and i'd like a variable power scope.

Thanks for any and all help and information on the scope.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Zeiss, Burris, Redfield or Leupold are all good products at their price points. The only one I don't own is a Zeiss.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #3

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxChino13xX View Post
I intend to use it for target shooting only and the range I goto only goes up to 100yds. The scope I've been eyeballing is the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 (i've found it for $399), due to it's "shockproof" design. I've already gone through three scopes, two Leapers and one Nikon Pro-Staff 3-9x40. I've been told to go with a Nikon Monarch and I've also been guided towards the Millet TRS-1 and Nightforce. I'm not looking to go overboard and spend an arm and a leg plus my first born. Anybody have any feedback on the Zeiss?? Good or bad, doesn't matter to me, I'm just looking for honest opinions and hopefully first hand experience.

Like I said it's only for target shooting up to 100yds, it's a .308 Remington 700 VTR (no iron sights, just taps), not looking to break the bank money wise, i'm still saving for a wedding, and i'd like a variable power scope.

If you broke your Nikon I can tell you that is unusual and by the way they come with a lifetime warantee. Send it to Nikon and they will make it right. A .308 does not have the recoil to be destrying good scopes. The Zeiss is a good scope for hunting and it will do for target work but if you are really only wanting to punch targets then a scope with a slightly higher magnification and a thin reticle will allow you to do more precisse shooting. I would look at something in the 14x for top power and a thin varmint or target dot (1/4 moa) reticle in the Nikon Monarch, Leupold VxII or III, Bushnell Elite, Millet and Sightron amongst others.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 AM   #4

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

Nightforce is WAY over the range of the other brands you mentioned. You're talking about probably at least $1500 for entry level Nightforce.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check out the 4x-16x Nikon Monarch for your rifle and send the Prostaff back to the factory. This is the 1st time I've heard about a Nikon breaking with such a mild kicking rifle. It's rare, very rare.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also check Weaver Grand Slam.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 08-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #7

Default Scope for .308

Whatever you're thinking of buying, be sure to buy it BEFORE your wedding. It gets a lot harder afterward.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I knew that Nikon had the lifetime warranty but when I called them to have something done about it they just offered to pay back the money, didn't even mention replacing the scope for me. I thought it was odd that a Nikon broke also, but it just wouldn't focus anymore no matter the distance a clear picture wouldn't come through.

Thanks everyone for the feedback about the scopes, I have this thread bookmarked so I can come back and compare brands, quality and prices most importantly. When the time comes and I'm able to afford a new scope I'll take new pics and give some feedback on thoughts on the scope.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to get another Nikon over Millet or Leapers. NF is great but way overkill (and $$$) for 100 yd shooting

Quote:
I thought it was odd that a Nikon broke also, but it just wouldn't focus anymore no matter the distance a clear picture wouldn't come through.
What do you mean by "won't focus anymore"? That scope has no "focus" except the eyepiece and that is simply to sharpen the reticle image, once that is set you don't need to mess with it and it won't (shouldn't) change the image clarity. If you had to use the zoom to get a clear picture that scope was bad from the start.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 08-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #10

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to get another Nikon over Millet or Leapers. NF is great but way overkill (and $$$) for 100 yd shooting

What do you mean by "won't focus anymore"? That scope has no "focus" except the eyepiece and that is simply to sharpen the reticle image, once that is set you don't need to mess with it and it won't (shouldn't) change the image clarity. If you had to use the zoom to get a clear picture that scope was bad from the start.
Not exactly true. Many scopes have a focus adjustment feature such as side focus or objective focus to help with parallax.