Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Good Scope (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/good-scope-12525/)

Ed Warden 04-03-2009 04:36 PM

Good Scope

Hi All again could someone tell me what brand and size scope would work well on mt Remigton 700 .223 rifle right now it came will a standard scope that rem puts on it it it 4-12x40 or is the a decent scope to shoot at distances of say 300-400 yards. Thanks

Dillinger 04-03-2009 05:22 PM

Depending on your eyes, and the quality of the glass, 4-12x40 is fine for that application.

I like Leupold's 4.5-14x40 myself, but it isn't cheap.

What do your eyes and your targets tell you?

You got some extra cash burning a whole in your pocket? Or is the scope not doing it for you?

JD

mrm14 04-03-2009 06:39 PM

I use a Leupold VXIII 4.5 - 14X40mm. It's good for me for out to 600 yards. I would believe that the scope you have now should be fine for the same range. In my case I am 53 Y.O. and the natural ageing process does make light a problem. What I used to be able to see well just a few years ago through peep sights at 100 yards is more difficult now. I'ts not that my vision is blurry, it's not, its the reduced resolution of the target from the decreased ability that my eyes suffer from their inability to recieve as much light that they used to. I only use glasses for reading and for everyday normal vision beyond that I see "normal".
My borther on the other hand has worn glasses since he was a kid and has all around poor vision without them on. He had a pair of glasses made just for shooting and they work well. He even needs/uses them when using a scope. Some brand scopes have better light gathering abilities than others. Leupold and Night Force brands are just two that I know of that gather light extremely well, and, in my case, give the resolution of image that I need. These two aformentioned brand of scopes are more costly that others, but, What is one to do? If you need/wear glasses and dont use them when using a scope, you need to use them. If your trying to see the point of impact of your bullet at long ranges on the target, much past 300 or 400 yards, not even younger perfect eyes can do this well. Other than that; What problem do you have with the scope you have?

Ed Warden 04-03-2009 08:08 PM

Scope

I was just wondering if the scope i got with the rifle was junk or i could use it and be satisfied. I too only wear glasses for driving and sometimes reading.I have not fired the gun just yet but i am looking forward to it. Thanks for the info

Dillinger 04-03-2009 08:32 PM

Ed, have you "glassed" anything around the neighboring area?

Remove the bolt altogether and held the weapon on a "target"? That is a great way to see, especially in various times of the day/dusk, how clear your optics are and how useful they are too you. Just don't stand on the front porch when you do it. :D

JD

Gene Langston 04-03-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Warden (Post 90597)
Hi All again could someone tell me what brand and size scope would work well on mt Remigton 700 .223 rifle right now it came will a standard scope that rem puts on it it it 4-12x40 or is the a decent scope to shoot at distances of say 300-400 yards. Thanks

Depends on what you're shooting at 300-400 yards. If it's p-dogs @ 400, it may be a bit on the low end. If it's targets it's furhter down on the low end. But for bigger varmints, coyotes and such, it's great.

I like the 40mm objective, it's great for low-mounting a scope. But, larger objectives seem to be the wave right now.

Bushnell's Elite is a good scope and won't break the bank. I think you should get the best you can afford to buy because you can always transfer the scope if you decide to buy another rifle. Scopes are investments, because you'll never get from them anything like what you paid for them.

Dillinger 04-07-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oculus Capitalis (Post 91603)
BAD IDEA!

First of all, you'll get arrested same as if you were pointing a rifle at something -- because you are pointing a rifle at something. It's bad form, and poor gun handling.

A local here was "glassing" the neighborhood elk herd from the side of the highway. He had two rifles running arcoss the back of his truck. Bolts were removed. Sheriff arrested him anyway, for hunting from the highway, hunting out of season, and hunting without tags.

Take the front page of you newspaper out to the range. Set it at 100 yds and focus on the print. What can you see?

Remember, there's a firearm attached to that scope.

Bullsh!t! You are as ill informed about this as the rest of your posts. Why are you even here? Your firearm's knowledge is worse then your political knowledge.

Glassing is done all the time by police and military snipers and never did I say hold the weapon on SOMEONE. Glassing is a very common form of training, especially by units on small ammo budgets and has NOTHING to do with illegal activity. Glassing is also done by Over the Course shooters ALL THE TIME to practice moving and then holding on a stationary target to simulate their trade craft.

Another story of someone you know who knew someone who had something bad happen.

Stop wasting everyone's time with this bs.

JD

cpttango30 04-08-2009 06:46 PM

If you are looking to shoot varmints at 200+ yards then get power the more the better. I prefer 6-18 or 6-24x40mm scopes. I dislike the 50mm objectives as the advantage you gain over the 40mm can be made up for by good glass with good coating. The 50mm obj is also going to have to be mounted higher off the rifle decreasing your accuracy (In theory). I have seen people shooting their fancy scopes with there 50mm objectives and they can't shoot for nothing. Why because they have to rest their chin on the stock to see threw the scope. You want a good solid cheek weld to the stock.

I would look at Bushnell's Elite 4200 6-24x40mm they run $500 to $600. Or look at Leupold 6-18x40mm VX-II if you can afford it get the Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm with the 30mm tube. These offer more adjustment range for elevation and windage.

I have the VX-II 6-16x40mm and like it.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...s/SD530240.jpg

Catfish 04-23-2009 01:48 AM

I use more 3 x 9 Leupold scopes on varmint rifles than any other scope. With 3 X you`ll have a good enough point of aim to take pd`s at 300 yrds. so the 9X is just insurance. For reaching out I use a .22-6mm with an 8 1/2 X 25 Leupold with target knobs. So far I`ve only shot it on 8 1/2X while hunting, because that is the lowest it goes. If your going to reach with your .223 I would recomand a 3 1/2 x 10 Leupold VX 111. With target knobs and a good drop chart you`ll reach 500 yrds. and do fairly well to 600.

Rimfire McNutjob 04-23-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a (Post 92342)
If you are looking to shoot varmints at 200+ yards then get power the more the better. I prefer 6-18 or 6-24x40mm scopes. I dislike the 50mm objectives as the advantage you gain over the 40mm can be made up for by good glass with good coating. The 50mm obj is also going to have to be mounted higher off the rifle decreasing your accuracy (In theory). I have seen people shooting their fancy scopes with there 50mm objectives and they can't shoot for nothing. Why because they have to rest their chin on the stock to see threw the scope. You want a good solid cheek weld to the stock.

I would look at Bushnell's Elite 4200 6-24x40mm they run $500 to $600. Or look at Leupold 6-18x40mm VX-II if you can afford it get the Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm with the 30mm tube. These offer more adjustment range for elevation and windage.

I have the VX-II 6-16x40mm and like it.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...s/SD530240.jpg

+1 on this. I like power I don't care much about field of view in my scope. That is why I look before I shoot. Having a small FOV can hamper you if your target runs off a ways, but I like shooting in target rich environments.